1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Smith Flagrant on Griffin+Hornets Clips Confrontations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yao11, Mar 22, 2012.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1pBeCQak588" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [​IMG]

Nah, the Smith foul was far worse. He had a full head of steam and trucked Griffin. Horry leaned his body and did a hip check. Both are dirty plays but Smith's, from a simple physics standpoint, had significantly more force to it.

I agree with the old heads that say this type of stuff wasn't as big a deal in the past....but it is now. Everyone goes crazy about fouls much weaker than this, it's only right that we treat this one accordingly. Really, the biggest thing I have a problem with is how after Smith trucked Griffin he starts playing to the crowd and continues on after he gets ejected, like he's some wrestling heel. No respect for the man you hit, no respect for the game or yourself.

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Reason why soccer is played on grass surface is to reduce impact when someone falls like this. Hardwood floor would not have that impact reduction.

But I like Jason Smith.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

huh? not a flop? but exaggeration on the hit?
    I thought a flop was exagerating a hit? rolling on the floor, etc. :confused:
    you are contradicting yourself.

4. munco

munco Member

that was a cheap shot and it's classless how people were applauding and cheering the move.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can't believe you bit on that tangent. You don't need to defend Scola, that poster is clearly just trying to deflect criticism from Griffin. Clearly Griffin wanted to draw attention and punishment through embellishment, and he succeeded. Welcome to the NBA, everyone. What are we arguing about?

#145 napalm06, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Perhaps it is uncool to applaud it. But this is not malicious, this is aggressive. There's a difference; Griffin had the ball, had a line to an open basket, is a notorious power-scorer, and the guy didn't even really use his hands or feet. It's hard, message-sending body-to-body contact. It's punishable and flagrant. But it's hardly a 'cheap shot'; he didn't try to catapult Griffin into the stands or kick his legs out from under him or something... I guess I watch too many other 'contact' sports.

#146 napalm06, Mar 24, 2012
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You've obviously never heard the story about the boy who cried wolf???

Long story short: Griffin feigns injury all the time - why should anyone care when someone actually attempts to hurt him?

1 person likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It was bush league and the NBA did what it had to do.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!

9. cavevato

cavevato Member

Damn that pisses me the F off. That cut on Fisher's head came from Scola's grill. To this day I would cheer if Fisher got injured and I woudnt give a fudge if it was a serious one. I loved the grittyness of Artest, too bad his simple ass went and kissed nobe's ass the following offseason.

As far the foul on Griffin, it was a hard foul and in toidays nba a flagrant, still doesnt excuse the pussyness from Griffin/clippers

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Correct.

Even though, unfortunately, a lot of soccer refs would blow the whistle for that nowadays, too. But in general, the rule is that as long as your elbow doesn't come out, you can bump players like that.

Obviously, it is a foul in basketball. I don't even think it should have been an ejection, though.

I agree that Griffin totally embellished the contact. It's kind of funny that you are talking about "a damned soccer player" when that wouldn't even have been a foul in soccer.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Soccer players have incredibly bad reputation, especially in the States lol. We had some pretty good fights/brawls over here, the infamous 2006 Netherlands-Portugal Kung-Fu game will always be in my heart. Not all soccer players are p****ies, guys. If a guy checked you like that you would be in his face with all your teammates in Europe, not acting like a god damn sissy and limping/crying.

12. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

i've been a rockets fan my whole life but some of yall make me ashamed to be one after reading this thread. the bias and hate from some yall is disgusting. smh.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just don't see many people applauding Smith. He's an idiot and deserved getting tossed, and I don't care if they suspend him. I also don't see what might be "hateful" in observing that Griffin acted like his career might be over. It was bush league for both of them.

As for those of you feeling the need to defend soccer players... I don't get that either. I actually like soccer and watch it, and yes, there are some very tough guys in the sport. But they also are well known for flopping around if they think it can elicit what they want from the officials. Is that even debated at all? This too is simply an observation.

Here are three Blake Griffins in action
    [​IMG]

#153 B-Bob, Mar 24, 2012
  14. VBG

VBG Member

Nash admitted that he stayed down for a couple of extra seconds after Horry checked him

15. FadeAway_Dreams

It's hilarious how a dislike of a player can blind people to what their own eyes are seeing. It's ridiculous how people say that Griffin initiated contact. Its also ridiculous to think that a guy who is 7 foot and 240 pounds wouldn't be able to move you with a hit like that. Within his last step to 2 steps Smith angles towards him, drops his shoulder and leans into the contact. With both players having similar speed/direction it would certainly add to the momentum and certainly push a person past his point of balance. That is a stereotypical hit delivered in football to knock someone out of bounds.

That being said, I completely agree that Griffin would garner a lot more respect if he'd get his butt up off the floor. Doesn't even have to stare Smith down or retaliate in any way. Get up, brush yourself off, shrug your shoulders blow him a kiss I don't care just get up!

16. conquistador#11

Who is saying it was accidental? Smith knew what he was doing and blake deserved it. If he doesn't want to get tackled, maybe he should change his diva ways. I'm just surprised wade and the frozen one don't get more of this. In the 90's, they would have been victims of more than a couple of elbows.

makes me miss D-rodman and madmax. =(

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Smith suspended 2 games

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uSHFY1lKQdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The NBA need to be more consistent. If Smith is suspended 2 games how is Camby not even suspended for this hit a few weeks ago?

18. MONON

MONON Member

I said "behind", not "exactly behind". Without going onto a frame by frame description of the sequence, I had a choice of "in front of", "beside" and "behind" to describe Nate's position with respect to Dragon. I thought "behind" best described the positioning. Still doesn't change the fact that Nate tackled him as opposed to bumping him and that a tackle gets a F1, while a bump gets a F2 & a suspension when a "star player" is involved.

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He went for the ball,and there was not as much force, he was just in the air so it looked like he was hit harder than he really was.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Looks like the Clips soccer team, all rolling on the nice soft grass. That's totally hilarious!:grin: