1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 12/13/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

goophers,
    Yes, Yao is clutch, and will probably only get... clutcher, thereby helping to return this team's patented nickname.

But as for Francis not being clutch, look at how many games in his career where his best stats came in the 4th quarter, especially this year. In fact, there's even a place on NBA.com where you can check out player's crunchtime stats, and right now I believe Francis is in a tie with Kobe for 5th place in the league...

I don't know about you, but that seems pretty damn good to me. I just wish people would cut him a little slack for a couple bad decisions. Sure they might have cost us the game, but again, no ONE player deserves the blame for an entire game (except Moochie on occasion) or as much hate as some are giving him. He's still, currently, our most consistent, reliable, and just best player.

2. heech

heech Contributing Member

This is just sad. I'm Chinese, and not shy to admit the primary reason I root on the Rockets is because Yao Ming happens to be a Rocket.

But what you say is simply wrong and making yourself, and Yao Ming, look stupid. Francis had a great game, and his stats prove it. He shot very well, and made mostly good decisions. He *did* make mistakes down the stretch, but many of them were forced on him by the way Memphis stacked its defense. He had a few turn-overs, but so what? So did Yao Ming.

That's all the others are saying: yes, Francis made mistakes... but SO DID Yao Ming! There's no way to quantify and compare mistakes. Both players had some huge mistakes, and had some HUGE positive plays. You keep insisting that Francis was being selfish. Please, the Rockets offense has started to re-tool to focus on Yao Ming, but he's not ready yet for the ball to go in his hands every time down the court. Yao needs a little help setting up post position, and plays much better picking up offensive rebounds off of Francis drives than forcing the ball in against Gasol.

This whole idiotic finger-pointing/blaming thing is annoying and pointless. You guys need to grow up.

3. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Maybe this will cheer up some folks here? :)

Y. Ming 7-13 0-0 4-4 7 15 3 0 0 6 5 18

D. Gooden 2-7 0-2 2-2 2 5 1 0 0 2 6 6

4. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

BBen, STFU!! Blaming on others for the loss is also one of the bad habit of chinese, dont' u understand? Just Calm Down and have faith in the Rox, A team will not always, losing is also one way to improve. And dont' make bold statements about "majority of chinese fans", becoz you have no right to represent the majority of chinese fans!

5. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I agree with you heech.
    But everytime the Rockets lose, there's going to be complaints, it's all part of being a fan. Whether or not it's a fan of Yao or Rockets, or both.

6. prlen

prlen Member

now 12:9,just one game ,why so upset!!!!!

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Did anyone notice the 2 awful jumpball tosses in overtime? The ref blatantly tossed it in the direction of the grizz player both times. the 2nd one was horrible. it was so bad that 6-9 wright won the toss from yao! i also want to point out the difference in the game was that BS call where Javie wouldnt give Yao the 3 point play when he made that wild shot.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

Seriously, Rockets need a PF. 28 NBA teams have their PFs.
    EG must be the next project.

9. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

After our loss, we forgot entirely how Gooden disappeared from the game today. Wasn't he one of the suggested ROY along with Wagner, who by the way had a bad night as well. Anyone watch the game can tell me how he so easily fouled out?
    On another note, I may have found out another reason why Rockets lost. Since Gooden fouled out, Gasol just got touches galore. From what I've heard Gasol had less touches this year due to Gooden... I say we don't foul out Gooden next time we play so Gooden can lose the game for them! :D

10. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Upset?? Sure I am upset about the loss, but I am not pissed at any player or any member of the board. In fact I am really happy at where we are. Compared to last year, we have made humongous strides. Hitting bumps in the road is always expected for young teams.

11. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

As a transplanted Rox fan here in LA, I can't tell you how thilled I am right at this moment watching the Fakers getting their ass handed to them. :D

One thing for sure. I haven't been this excited about Rox games for quite a while. Yes, Yao has something to do with my renewed enthusiam and I look forward to this team bringing us many championships in the years to come.

12. heech

Totally with you on that one. That seemed RIDICULOUS.

I spent the rest of the night discussing mechanisms for FAIR tosses with my friends. How about, some kind of an over-head device that just drops the ball from like 10 feet up?

Grrrr.

13. heech

By the way, some people accused the "Yao-only" fans of being happy when Yao has a big game, even if it means the Rockets lose...

... uh, Yao Ming had a big game tonight (18 pts 15 rbs qualifies in my book). And if the sentiments on this board are any proof, then the "Yao-only" friends are still NOT HAPPY. They, as much as any pure-bred Rockets fan, can only be happy if the Rockets (and Yao) are winners.

So, let's go. There's something we have in common, and let's build on that. Stop focusing on the differences... who cares who our favorite players here, the vast majority of us live and die a thousand times every night based on how the Rockets do as a TEAM.

14. joe the joker

joe the joker Member

bben212,are you sure you are not one of so-called Yao only fans?
    I sincerely hope you are not,but it seems...

15. bben212

bben212 Member

We are not GM. We do not have to worry too much about Chemstry thing. As fans, the more important thing is speaking the truth out. I do not care about my calling out some players. If they deserve that blame, i think i will address that. If you guys think i am wrong, just argue and back youselves up by facts. I would be glad to talk it just based on plays. Like really Yao's 6 TO costly? or steve does not know how to play smart and it hurts team. GM and coaching staff will take care of things like developing chemstry, running trading for good or things like that. We just have to point out who play good, who play bad and how to improve. I do not mind throwing hursh words on some specific players because i know they hardly care our words as long as they mantain their contracts and keep making money.

16. huxmir

huxmir Member

I agree. It's stupid to blame one player for a team loss.

17. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

Yeah, you are apprently get too pissed off by the game, but anyone can see that the entire team sucked tonite, not just SF and Mobley, 6 TO are quite costly and those offensive rebounds didnt' result in many points. Yao played alright tonite, but not good enough, so is SF and everybody else (like Rice, he was hot earlier). Dont' even discuss whose fault is worse or more critical, a Loss is a Loss, by a team. And represent your opinion for the entire chinese NBA fanbase just DISGUST me.

18. littlefish_220

... uh, Yao Ming had a big game tonight (18 pts 15 rbs qualifies in my book).

Take a look at 6 TO. It is really too much. Otherwise, he should have more shot tonight to save the team.

19. goophers

goophers Member

RocketGuy,
    Thanks for the heads-up on that stat. I think that with a more diversified attack that I will see more clutch from the boys and not get so frustrated by those few moments of stupidity.

Heech,
    I noticed that too but worried I'd sound like a huge Yao homer if I said the refs were tossing it away from Yao. I've said for a while now (at least 3 years) that the NBA needs to make some sorta machine to do that. Human error should be eliminated where it is easy and unobstructive to do so.

20. bben212

bben212 Member

The player happens to be the so-called leader on the team. Why he as the leader deserves the glory words from fans when the team wins and immunes to blames? Being a fan, just point out what he thinks because he truly wants his team win. Name calling is not that bad in forum in cyberspace. Remember, we fans really can do little about changing the team. We more like pointing out problems within the team and even venting anger. You really think fans have a considerable influlence on changing the team? NBA is more like money thing and GMS and some professionals will handal that. A true fan is the one who always speaks what he truly think about the team or a specific player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.