1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Fisher Opted Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. joesr

joesr Member

kinda.

If kinda is worth around 10 spot differential.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Honestly, I hope Morey's going to offer the Ny pick, Dallas 1st, and possibly our pick for a pick this or next year with little to no protection or even a young guy in the league with potential (James Harden?). No point in having so many picks this year with Parsons, Morris, Ppat, and Dontas coming over for next year.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Morey has already tried to do this, but teams usually don't want to deal talented players. We tried to do it with Gerald Green and TWill.. Both failed.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Takes two to Tango. Morey cannot do a deal without a partner. Have not noticed anyone trying to force a trade to Houston or have I seen us on anyone's list of acceptable trading places. Really? Who got moved we could have picked up? Dwight pulled himself off the market. Pretty sure we were involved there. Bogut? Pretty sure we were involved there but he is not a building block that would have attracted people to come play with him here in Houston. Maybe You heard all about the people lining up to play with him while he was with the Bucks because I sure didn't and outbidding GS would have left us out of position to do anything else. Was there anyone else out there you know about available we didn't that Morey should have been going for? Pierce? Allen? I missed any franchise players available Morey did not try to get but I was out of town a lot. While I would love to see something big happen as much as anyone, I see Morey trying each opportunity he has to make the big deal. When the attempt fails, he does the best he can to reposition the Rockets for the next chance. He will go into this off season ready to deal again and if nothing happens, he will be ready for the trade deadline next year. You cannot hit a home run without getting yourself up to the plate and taking a swing and Morey keeps swinging and keeps us in position to keep swinging until we connect. What more can we ask from our GM? I don't see Kevin Durant or anyone like that demanding a trade to Houston this off season and making Morey's job easy so all he can do is try to sell the free agents when they are available or be ready at the deadlines and you have to admit, we are in position even though we don't have much to show for it.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

If NY misses the playoffs, Lowry, Patterson, plus the NY pick may possibly get us a top 5 or 6 selection.

6. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

THE OLD FISH

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Totally agree with this assessment. If Morey could acquire a couple of stars or a superstar, I think we would be contenders every year.

But...but..then we'd be 'bandwagon' fans :rolleyes:

8. Nook

Nook Member

I usually agree with you, but cannot on this one. The fact that this took 72 hours and not the typical 48 leads me to believe the Rocks gave him an ultimatum, get paid and play, and decide if you want to pick up your option at the end of the season or we agree to waive you if you agree to not pick up your option. Fisher is left with no real choice. If he pouts he gets to spend the year racking up DNP's and ditto next year if he chose to pick up the option. The Rockets made it clear there we not going to be any "deals".

9. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Well, he did have home run overturned by Stern...
    What would you give up for Bogut and NJ's pick that could have trumped Monta and G. Wallace, respectively? Would the fan base be happy with Lowry for Bogut? Or Scola for NJ's pick?

Here's what we know: Scola/Lowry for Pau Gasol was there for us; this forum would not have liked it. However, lets' fast forward 4 months. The Lakers have come up short, and Ramon Sessions have not turned out to be the savior that everyone expected. Lowry/Scola/Dalembert for Gasol/Eyenga now makes more sense, with Rockets going after D-Will in free agency. Would D-Will rather play with Gasol/K.Martin/Camby and a deep rotation of wings or with Dirk/Matrix and a bunch of nobodies?

Just imagine this roster:

D.Williams/K.Martin/Parsons/Gasol/Camby
    Lull/Budinger/M.Moris/Paterson/Montejunas

You are going places with this roster...

10. meh

meh Member

This really makes you wonder why the Lakers simply couldn't negotiate something with Fisher in the first place? They could've avoided the loss of the pick by working something out amicably with Fisher for him to opt out in return for some some favors. Instead they traded a 1st to unload the money that the Rockets don't even have to pay.

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

This looks like a great deal, I applaud Morey for it. If he could get us a big name/superstar then he would. I think he is just doing the best he can with the opportunities that he has. Sure, he could break the bank and trade away all of our assets for a big name, but we would be left with nothing. I say this like the option is out there, but who knows?

Just to throw it out there. If we end up with 2 or 3 picks, I would like to see us trade 1 or 2 of them for future picks. Possibly a first for a future first and second, or something along those lines. If we can't do that, I would like to see us move up in the draft, but it seems like that would be almost too costly. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Morey has up his sleeve.

Pugs

12. solid

solid Member

A fair and balanced assessment; I am more on the negative side of the Morey issue, but you make a good point. What bothers me a lot is that the team has become a revolving door, constant change, without measurable progress. Just when I get attached to a player (Brooks, Hayes, Landry, etc.), they are out the door. Martin and Scola have been my two favorite players and Morey tried to ship them out. What happened to "team" and when will we have a "contending" team? I won't be holding my breath, that's for sure.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They got Jordan Hill. Maybe they actually like the guy.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He would have never have opted out in LA. I doubt he would have even taken anything less than what he was owed. There would be no reason. He lives in LA. He loves the team and his families there.

Reports are he is devastated by the trade. I suspect asking him to opt out would not make him any happier. He would not be doing them any favors. The only reason he agreed to opt here is because he truly never wanted to play here.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cheapest first round pick ever?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good for Derek. Wishing him all the best. ; )

17. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Its a shame. Fisher would of been the best thing that ever would of happen to Lowry. He would of showed Lowry how to be cool and chill out.

18. Entropy

Entropy Member

Come to think of it, the refs probably have a pre-game bet between themselves to see who can make Lowry get a tech first.

19. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I just love how much derek fisher probably hated this ordeal.

It also makes the Lakers look like the bad guy.

We also get a first round draft pick.

Haha

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

I called it. In the end Derek Fisher gave up 3.4M for the opportunity not to retire. It was fantastic blackmail.