1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Trades: Playoff Implications

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by senter, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. senter

senter Member

So that was an... interesting deadline. We kept our core intact. One thing that sticks out about these trades are the playoff implications. We got old. Real old. That's one way to look at it. But in the short term, it means playoff experience. I don't have any numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure the amount of playoff experience of Fisher and Camby have combined is more than the whole rest of our roster. These two will show their veteran leadership come playoff time and don't be surprised to see a game saving block by Camby or a game winning three by Fisher at some point these season.

I still have to sigh about the fact that... we have damn Laker blood on the team now :mad:

2. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

3. romain

romain Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA
    The Rockets will explore a buyout for Derek Fisher, but they do need point guard help with Kyle Lowry, sources tell Y! Sports.

1 person likes this.
  4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Dat was turrible......

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Camby made sense, but the Fisher one baffles me. At least Hill could give us minutes and that pick is not worth a damn.

6. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

If that is the case I don't understand the trade.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Exactly. I know a lot of people on this forum hate on Jordan Hill, but the man is worth more than a 37 yr old backup PG and a super protected 1st rounder that might as well be a second round pick.

8. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

So did we get a pick, or did they?

9. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Ok nevermind, I see

10. stmeph

stmeph Member

We got a 1st rounder.

11. ch44

ch44 Member

To get a 1st for Hill

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

at least we still have dragon

13. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

where does it say that the pick is protected??

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Getting a bandaid PG and a 1st for Hill was good enough for me, it was obvious Hill wasn't going to amount to anything.

And Camby WILL get us into the playoffs without being a burden beyond this year if necessary.

I either wanted to blow this thing up or lock down a playoff spot, and we did the later without hamstringing ourselves in the future. So, I'm happy about that.

15. senter

senter Member

I know there are buyout reports but last I checked, Lowry is still out. As other have suggested, we'll at least keep him until he gets back, and maybe until the season is done.

16. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

Getting back to the thread.

Look at the top three teams in the standings.
    1. OKC
    2. SA
    3. LAL

Our weak link against these teams is rebounding & protecting the paint. That is now rectified. We've shown we can compete with both OKC & SA. LAL was/is the biggest threat. We hung with them for three quarters that game & in the fourth their size just proved to much to overcome. I don't see that being an issue come playoff time.
    We honestly have a great opportunity at full health to potentially upset either of these teams. SA poses the greatest threat though. With Captain Jack back I can see that move possibly being the deciding factor RJ wasn't threatening against either Parson or Lee. Looking at the match ups I only see Kobe & Pau as threats come playoff time. Still, we are better at three positions. PG, SF, & bench.
    Finally OKC this would be the most favorable match up. Once again we only lose at the pf position not b/c Scola is inadequate offensively but defensively he is inept. Harden may pose a threat but I like the way we adjusted last game to their point-of-attack.
    Overall our advancement in the playoffs is better than before. Even if we win one more game. & we haven't been in the playoffs in two years. I'm ready to go to a playoff game once again.

17. Margrave

Margrave Member

Fisher will never put on a Rockets uniform - I doubt the Rox will ever let him suit up.

18. Margrave

Margrave Member

Oh, and in regards to playoff implications, if healthy, Camby will solidify a spot in the lower half, the question is will the fans come and watch or care, when they know it is really a band aid and not a contending team?

So, this trade got the Rox a little better this year, but next year is a mess right now.

19. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

Rockets are compiling first rounds picks to potentially move up in the draft, so that why they got fisher.

camby will help the second team, and overall the defense of the team. The bonus is that his 9 mill comes off the books this year.

20. allanivan

allanivan Member

This!!!