1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will Ming shoot a 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RNuss02, Dec 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

This is probablly a stupid question, but I was wondering if there were any plays that allows Yao to take some perimeter shots in the Rockets' offense? I heard he has a pretty sweet shot. I know his place is in the post, and he's doing well, but I think we should take advantage of some of his other skills, and possibly some mismatches.

I was just curious whether he has played the perimeter in the most recent games that I have been unable to see.

2. cas

cas Member

imo pretty soon they'll let him take clutch shots.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

IMO he probably will not shoot a three at all anytime soon unless it is absolutely necessary (shot clock running down) Yao seems to be too smart of a player to play his weaknesses instead of his strength. Clearly we dont need 3pt shooters on the team when we have SF,CM, Rice, and EG.

But it would be cool too see nonetheless

4. fatfatcow

fatfatcow Member

I predict his first 3 pt field goal attempt will be againist the lakes ,Shaq next game they play :D :D :D

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Yao shoots one against the Grizzlies...

"Four seconds left in the half...Yao gets the rebound...Yao chucks it the length of the court...looks like it's gonna clang off the front of the rim...JWilliams goes to the rim to get the rebound...OMG, it hits him on top of the head and Yao gets his first 3-point NBA field goal"

:D

6. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

Yao used to be one of the best 3 point shooter back in china, and it was his coach that intentionally limited his outside shooting in order to play him more close to the basketball.

I remember when he first met Michael Jordan in the Nike camp, MJ came in and sunk a 3 point and said:" can you do this, big kid?", then Yao went ahead and sunk a 3 point too, MJ yelled:" wow, big kid can shoot!"

I mean this guy can do it all, he is showing us the art of basketball.

7. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

No doubt Yao can shoot, Mycatuity...

But the way he's grabbing the offensive boards, I think its more important for him to stay in the box. His post moves have been terrific and his passing too. If we stand him out at the three point line, he's less likely to be the triple threat (pass, score, drive) that he is the the paint.

There's only one time when I think he'll need to pull the opposing big guy away from the basket...you got it...when he faces Shaq. But, even then, let him go out in the box. You won't get Shaq in foul-trouble if you're camped out at the 3 point line

8. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

A long range 3 point buzzer beater :D

KH

9. prlen

prlen Member

lol ur soooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!

10. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

who told you such bull****?
    Yao dont need to shoot 3 point at Rockets.

11. link

link Member

rockets down 2. game 7 of the nba finals. with only 2 seconds left. the only guy they find open for 3 is yao. yao shoots and releases the ball from half court to hit the game winning shot. mvp of the nba finals. ^_^

12. huxmir

huxmir Member

wake up!

13. Quakes

Quakes Member

I garbage time when the game's been put away already by the Rox... at home when the crowd and team eggs him on to try one. Jeez... he keeps pulling out a new skill every week, so why not the 3?

14. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

I think he'll take one soon enough. During warmups against philly he was practicing some threes with the shooting coach. Made 3-6 or something like that. Not too bad. Did he shoot any threes in the WC?

15. Quakes

Quakes Member

Any Chinese fans who've seen Yao play in China... does he shoot 3's? Regularly?

Thanks!

16. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

hes going to shoot one in the all star game,

im sure they have a play designed to pull out the opposing teams center, if hes a strong one, and having yao shoot the three as a second option after steve slashes and decides to kick out. hell, when menk bateer was on the nuggets, even he was shooting threes, and thats the kind of guy you want in the low post.

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I seem to remember him taking a 3 shot in one of the early games,missed though..

I remember watching on league pass and the commentator goes .. "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.."

I am curious about where the 3pt line is in the CBA ?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Actually, I remember him making one against the US either in the exhibition or WC.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I could see a designed play for him to tie a game at buzzer. Nobody is going to block it. Would probably go unguarded too.

20. bblewis

bblewis Member

yep, it's in WC and the 1st field goal made by YM.