1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redskins trade for 2nd overall pick

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I hope this puts to rest people saying you don't need a mobile QB in this system. A running QB is awesome in the boot.

In other news, Mike Shanahan doesn't think he has much longer.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Gotta love the trade if you're the Rams. They have a pretty good nucleus with Bradford, a couple more good years of Steven Jackson, Chris Long and James Laurinaitis.

Their poor record last season had more to do with injuries than anything else. As a team, they are more talented than your average team set to pick second. Having four early picks will only help. They could really use a big-time wide receiver, depth along the offensive line and some help in the defensive backfield.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I should clarify. Those early picks are spread out over the next three years, obviously, and those picks will help as this team grows together.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It's a pretty damn good trade for St. Louis.

If they get Blackmon... it's an outstanding one.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Wow, if there were ever a justification for tanking at the end of the season this would be it. STL trades back, probably gets the same player they want (Blackmon), and pick up a buttload of picks. Wowzers!

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Wow that is just ****ing nuts! Hell of a trade for St. Louis. Lol they should try to trade down again and see what else they can pick up.:grin:

7. Astro101

Astro101 Member

As a Texans fan and Baylor alum and a Dallas hater...YEAAAAA

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, what a trade for the Rams. Absolutely nuts that they were able to get all of that and only fall 4 spots in the draft.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It is a lot and will probably prove too costly, but I have a hard time looking at it like just "4 spots." The Redskins see a special talent and are paying for it. Like the 2007 NBA Draft, the top 2 picks are a special group by themselves. The difference between the 2nd pick (Kevin Durant) and 6th pick (Yi Jianlian) was pretty large.

NFL Draft is a lot different, but it's team need that drives it.

Still... great deal for the Rams.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

For real. I don't think a team in the middle of the draft would give up that much.

11. Major

Major Member

This also makes you wonder how much the Texans could have fetched for the Reggie Bush draft pick in 2006. He was as hyped a prospect as there has been in a long time.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

But there were no takers that year for the #1. In fact, I think the #2-4 picks had more value because there was a consensus that no matter who the Texans took, you'd be left with a good pick in one of VY/DBrick/Bush.

This is a lot to give up, but I think RG3 might actually be worth it. Last year people were surprised at what Atlanta gave up to Cleveland to land Julio Jones with the #6 (1st round [27], 2nd round, 4th round + 2012 1st + 2012 4th). I think these outlandish trades are going to be more common, given the economics of rookie scales now. Not saying you're going to see 1 a draft or anything, but probably be more commonplace than before.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I disagree. Being bout it bout is criminally underrated.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you think you have a franchise QB, you go get him and don't turn back.

Not a bad trade for the skins if RG3 is what they hope he is.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wow...this year's second and their next two 1sts in order to swap? HOLY.

No pressure, RGIII.

St Louis may be killing it in three years.

16. conquistador#11

where were the redskins in 2006! I think they know qbs don't grow on peach orchards . The shanahans are desperate for a qb to run the glorious texans offense. =)
    He is going to be a nice fit, Griffin junior junior.
    I think the browns will go defense and attempt to sign flynn and a meachem so blackmon might still be available.

17. what

what Member

I think that the redskins have cam newton fever. The only way that this trade is remotely fair is if RGIII becomes Cam or the second coming of Randall Cunningham. Which is a HUGE gamble. While there have been good QBs (Steve Mcnair, Donovan McNabb) if he becomes Micheal Vick, Young, Daunte Culpepper they got robbed.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

With this trade, Peyton to Washington is not happening, unless they pick up Blackmon with this (which is unlikely.) so I guess it's between Arizona, Tennesse, and Cleveland.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd almost look at it from a different angle - RGIII has to be legit, yes...but they have to WIN. Immediately. Giving up two low firsts is doable, but if they're better than #14? That's nasty no matter who they came away with.

And that's a lot of pressure on a rookie QB. They are under the gun to build Rome in an offseason.

The Peyton chase? That's a very unique idea on the contenders. Arizona's there, but the Browns have already publicly declared no interest.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

High draft picks were harder to trade back then because there was no rookie pay scale. I expect to see high draft picks traded a lot more now and in the future. We saw Atlanta do something similar last year as well for Julio Jones.