1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GMAT Prep Course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I am actually asking in earnest lool! I am kinda going that route now, a specific field (M.Sc. Accounting). In reality though, I am not sure if having an M.Sc. in Finance or Accounting would be better than an MBA with concentration in one of those fields? Would be interesting if someone here can chime in on that. But yeah, I have been advised to go this route instead of the typical MBA track. I am hoping to improve my employment prospects that way (and hopefully landing a good internship before I am done) by taking a bunch of accounting courses since I know well-trained accountants are hard to come by, or so I hear.

Anywho, still quite a road to travel just to get there. I still have to take a bunch of stem courses/pre-requisites since I did not have a business undergraduate degree, so my total credits is something close to 70 hours :(

2. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

My brother took TestMasters for GMAT Prep and it helped him tremendously. If you would like, here's a code for a discount if you decide to sign up: 2066543182

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Yeah hopefully someone can give us some feedback on this, I would definitely like to hear more since I will be going down the same road.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you broaden your scope job-wise, learn a foreign language or take some programming classes, and lower your salary target it's not the dumbest idea. If you're doing corporate or high-volume sales of some kind, and MBA could probably get you into a management training program somewhere.

5. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Still hoping for someone to chime in on this :)

Are you considering the MS in Accounting as well? I know the MBA (seems) like a shorter route since it requires less courses/pre-reqs, but a wise man once told me the more accounting courses you take, the more attractive you look to employers, and you can even do finance-type jobs with an accounting background.

6. Ari

Ari Member

I am guessing it depends entirely on what your career objectives are. I guess if you want to be an accountant and get your CPA, then an MSc is probably going to help you prepare more for the exam than a general MBA in finance or some other non-accounting field.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I'm planning on taking the GMAT sometime in the fall so can someone please recommend some prep material. Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I did my undergrad in engineering.

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I have a lot of material from Manhattan GMAT...probably $250 worth of books plus the OG guide and companions. Will sell to you for 30 bucks if you want it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I bought a couple of the official books as well as one or two from some of the big name tutors (kaplan, manhattan, etc). Took it over a year ago, so I don't really remember which was better. Some are better for math, other for verbal. I really only read one or two and just used all the questions for practice.

I also used a couple websites and forums. People will post questions and you can ask about ones you dont understand. google gmat forum and you'll find a few. I cant remember if I used beatthegmat or gmatclub.

good luck

1 person likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Studying for the GMAT is a waste of time and money.

#30 juicystream, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice. Hod did you do?

12. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Not sure if serious..:(:(

[​IMG] GIFSoup

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

660. I was shooting for a 700 so I may take it again if I decide to go back to school.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Does anyone know the minimum required to be accepted into grad school at UH or UHCL?

1 person likes this.
  15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

check your inbox.. sent you an email through the board

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

For Serious.

I guess maybe if you wanted into Harvard Business School or something, but generally a test of basic knowledge shouldn't require studying.

17. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

http://www.bauer.uh.edu/graduate-studies/mba/faqs.php

Although Bauer College does not have minimum acceptable GPA or GMAT or GRE scores, you should be aware that of those recently admitted to the full time day program, the average GPA was 3.30 GPA and average GMAT was 600. For those recently admitted to the part time evening program, the average GPA was 3.2 and the average GMAT was 580. GPA and GMAT or GRE scores significantly below those averages decrease the probability of acceptance, but we evaluate applications in their entirety, searching for strengths in all areas. Since we only recently began accepting the GRE, we do not have averages at this time of average acceptance GRE scores.

1 person likes this.
  18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Awesome. I might download some practice exams from their website and probably sign up for any May dates if available.

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Best book hands down is the GMAT 800. It's kind of more advanced, they say designed to get you the extra 20 - 30 points or so if you're already in the 700 range. So depending on your preparedness you might want to do another book ahead of time.

Like others said, nothing beats practice tests. Make sure you get the free official one that has the simulated computer test. That should be a very accurate predictor of where you are.

1 person likes this.
  20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

How long is this test usually?