1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Rice won the game

Connor did not call for a timeout

I do not recognize the win for the Coogs

1 person likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Running the table again? Wouldnt shock me but im thinking 9-3

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

And Rice is supposed to be the smrt skool.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

For some reason I thought the Coogs were already going to be playing in the Big East. Kinda bummed out, as that schedule looks boring as hell.

5. AFS

AFS Member

It looks like the same schedule we had last season.

6. Poloshirtbandit

It is, except for Texas State.

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

Am I the only one who doesn't like playing Rice at Reliant? I would much rather prefer home-and-home. Isn't it a lose-lose financially for both schools to go to reliant rather than hosting the game at your own place?

8. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

It is only for the next two years. But yes I agree. If SFA and Sam Houston can draw a decent crowd at Reliant, then I'm sure UH and Rice will do just fine.

9. AFS

AFS Member

Oh, that's right. We played Texas State 2 years ago. For some reason felt like last season.

10. Poloshirtbandit

Nope, it's horrible for college games. I went to the Bayou Bucket games they had there during the Kolb era and the Miami game. Even with the better attendance we have now, I doubt it would change my opinion. If we had to play back to back games at Rice Stadium instead I would have been OK with it.

11. The Drake

The Drake Member

Yeah, not a fan at all. I'm not sure what the financial picture is like, though.

12. Eyeshield07

Eyeshield07 New Member

Hey big texxx, how does it feel to have Rice out of the C-USA tournment. GO COOGS!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One of my big pet peeves is watching college sports in professional arenas. Both basketball and football.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I have been wondering when UH pro day is, can't wait to see Edwards run.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/29/speedy-edwards-awaits-uh-pro-day/

Speedy Edwards Awaits UH Pro Day

HOUSTON (CBS) – Former Houston Cougars All-America wide receiver Patrick Edwards finished his football playing career as one of the most prolific pass catchers in college football. He along with QB Case Keenum led the Cougars to a 13-1 season and a 30-14 victory over Penn State in the Ticket City Bowl.

The 5-foot-10-inch, 168-pound Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year and former walk-on from Hearne, Texas had a dream season. Edwards snagged 282 receptions for 4,471 yards and 43 scores. He also set a new Cotton Bowl record for most receiving yards in a game with 228.

Edwards ranked among college football’s Top 15 in touchdown catches; he was number 1 with 20. He was number 2 this past season with 1,752 receiving yards. This production and an even more impressive recovery after the horrific injury suffered at Marshall back in 2008.

However, if his return to college football and the success he experienced on the field after that injury doesn’t show a strong desire to play the game and courage in the face of extreme difficulty, it’s very hard to imagine what would.

PRO DAY MOVED UP

Lightning quick and fast, but not big in stature, Edwards was still able to attract the attention of NFL scouts enough to get invited to this year’s NFL Combine. However, he did not take part in any of the drills due to a slight injury. Hence, he plans to make his impression on March 19th at the University of Houston Pro Day.

15. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

COUGARS PRO DAY. LEGGO.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1htJd-LM0qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1htJd-LM0qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Supposedly in order for UH to "break even" on playing at Reliant, we have to draw 40K. I think this deal is different, however, because we signed a 3-year agreement. Rice hosts, UH, then Rice again. The idea was that next year, while the finishing touches are being put on our new stadium, we could have our first home game against Rice @ Reliant. It buys us a little flexibility on our construction timeline, that's all. I'm also guessing that since it is a multiyear deal, it's a little more lucrative/friendly on the budget than what we've seen in the past (vs Miami, Oregon, etc).

17. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Keenum-shows-his-stuff-for-NFL-scouts-3419436.php

Here's a written account as well...

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Patrick Edwards didn't have a fast time because of lingering injuries. Would love the Texans to use a late rounder on him for punt returns/kickoffs and develop him for depth at WR.

19. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

Went to the open practice on Saturday. The team looks good. The OL is huge and UH finally has some big receivers to play with. Piland looked real good too. That guy has a cannon. The backup QBs didn't look good at all though. If Piland goes down, it will be a rough season.

Sims looks even better this year, he will be a stud. Valencia played real well as a corner as did McMillian and of course Hayden, WR Roberts and Perry were very impressive, and the DL looked good too.

Will look even better when the freshman step in for the fall. I shouldn't have gone to the scrimmage though, because now I have the huge football bug yet again. Dang it I have to be patient.....

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Is Piland really that far ahead of everybody else?

I know Levine wants to give the illusion of a quarterback competition... but dang.

I expect great things from Sims and the DL this year.