1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning interested in Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigearz

Bigearz 713only
    Supporting Member

If Manning takes a minimum contract so we could sign our free agents sans Mario, the Texans would be foolish not to call.
    I don't know enough about offensive linemen like Saturday. He would want to come also. Is he a poor choice for our zone blocking scheme instead of signing our free agent center?
    If Shaub is a team player, he would accept playing behind probably the best ever at executing from the pocket. Schaub would be paid greatly to eat a little crow, learn from the best for a year or two, while winning championships, then do a Steve Young and get one or two himself after Peyton retires.
    Matt Shaub is less mobile than Manning, IMO. Manning will get rid of the ball before taking the hit that is probably going to end Schaub's career one day. I hope I'm wrong but we are taking big chances @ QB w/ Schaub and Yates as our options.
    We have a great team and I love the way Schaub handles himself as a leader. We are still good w/ him. I would love to see Mr. McNair to go for it if Kubiak would be comfortable allowing Manning to audible more on passing downs/broken coverages.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm in the camp of why do people think Manning will want some big money deal. Dude has been PAID including a huge singing bonus just last year, endorsements up the yin yang and he's 36. Why go to some crap team for a few more million when the only point of lacing them up at his age is to compete for a superbowl.

The media keeps pointing at the Texans because it is the ideal scenario. I don't see it happening but it will be because Smithiak says no not because Peyton chooses to chase higher dollars elsewhere.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

I like the way you think. It must be done.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

People are stil talking about this?

Lmao

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

are you still in this thread? get out you idiot. LOL

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If Jordan was available in the mid-90's the Rockets would have sacrificed everyone on the roster not named Olajuwon.

Are the Texans gonna really ride or die with the often injured, albeit above average Shaub and not give the premier player at the position a look?

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

This thread will be longer than the Jeremy Lin thread in 9 months.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I personally don't want a broke neck QB, but the Texans have to at least make a phone call. But it's the Texans....lol....

9. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

This is what I do not get either. People keep saying we don't even know if Peyton will come back, but can't we ask the same question about Schaub? Do we even know if our own QB is going to be able to make a full recovery himself? If Peyton is willing to get paid the same or less than what Schaub currently is getting paid, then I do not see one reason why the Texans should NOT pursue him. I would much rather gamble on a 4 time MVP, Hall of Fame QB than an injury prone, average to good QB.

The Texans should, at the very least, see what Peyton wants before just shooting this opportunity down without any consideration at all.

10. frazm23

frazm23 Member

THIS. For once, the texans don't have to worry about defense as our defense was one of the premier defenses last year. Our biggest problem was QB and we were a few plays away from beating the ravens and playing new england to go to the superbowl.

I like Matt Schaub as most Texans fans do but he hasn't had the healthiest track record over the course of time he's been playing in Houston. The Texans have to at least consider Peyton Manning. It would be foolish not to.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Doesn't sound very hard.
    SWIDT?
    :(

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'll make you a bet. If the Texans sign Manning I'll put 20 bucks in the tip jar. If we don't sign Manning you put 20 bucks in the tip jar. Deal?

13. gatsby

gatsby Member

This is statistically not fair.

It should be, if Manning does sign with the Texans, you put in $620. If Manning signs with anyone else, he puts in $20.

Fixed.

14. gatsby

gatsby Member

Sorry, my math was wrong. Fixed properly. ;)

It should be, if Manning does sign with the Texans, you put in $600. If Manning signs with anyone else, he puts in $20.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Lol wut?

You make no sense.

I'll put 20 if he comes here, and if he doesn't then he puts 20. How's that so hard?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

‏@SI_PeterKing
    You can eliminate Houston for Peyton.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Peter King = National Pancakes

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well, he's basically saying Peyton has a 1/31 chance in signing here, so you're clearly at the advantage in the bet. However, that's not taking into account the fact that there are teams that clearly won't sign Peyton (New Orleans, NYG, NE, etc).

19. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

Sign Manning and allow him to lead us to the Super Bowl within next 3 years or bust!! A healthy Peyton Manning is an upgrade over a healthy Matt Schuab. Gamble ALL-IN with two top QBs this year, an elite run combo of Foster/Tate, superior top 5 defense, and the experienced Kubs/Phillip combo! Who knows when our QB could be lost for the season.....remember last year? Don't sign Mario and draft a young reciever within 1st 3 rounds of the NFL draft. Barwin, Reed, Watt, and Cushing all look good enough to absorb the loss of Mario.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

There still might be hope then.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.