1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jbasket, Feb 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If you add the top speed and start speed and divide by 2, the average speed is lower than what's on the chart also.

18.85 + 13.93 = 32.78 / 2 = 16.39

So your numbers are wrong for Jeremy and they don't even match the website's calcuations. WTF No that's not how you calculate average speed. You just keep digging a deeper pit. LOL.

[​IMG]

#2401 BetterThanEver, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Even though he has the image of a nice church-going boy, Jeremy Lin is deceptively deceptive.

3. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

he added 6 inches to his running jump [:O]

http://www.jeremylin.net/2012/03/interview-with-jeremys-trainer-dr-phil.html

4. Knight

Knight Member

Just did a quick google search:

Link: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_miles_per_hour_does_Usain_Bolt_run

So the average speed reported on the website is close (assuming wiki.answers.com is accurate) but I assume there definitely an error on the top speed number.

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The I was wrong about how they calculate average speed. So I guess people will look at me and say, look, you can't trust that guy because he made a mistake on calculation!

So be it.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Could be. I wonder how bam gets bolt's number. Did he go for a test with them?

7. dd89

dd89 Member

[​IMG]

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

My mistake. So you use distance/time for average speed? Did I just break the misconception of Asians are all good at math? :grin:

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so, we now know you are not a smart Asian.

top speed divided by 2? what?

actually you get to avg velocity by starting with 0 as initial velocity...and calculate avg based on some form of peak velocity at increments of measure. Starting velocity greater than 0 means they had a running start.

The ave velocity would be a measure of incremental distance velocity divided by 2 of peak velocity for that incremental distance...then you avg it over the entire distance.

That requires a very complex measuring tool for the combine...velocity and incremental distance.

And we are supposed to trust this site when then gave Bolt's avg as higher than peak? come on....let it go.

10. heypartner

Do you think Usain Bolt could beat Lin in a 25yd dash while dribbling a ball?

11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Nope I do not think so given the fact that bolt isn't a professional basketball player. Am I sure? Almost.

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Really? That complicated? I thought the average speed of travel is distance/time used. Nope?

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I think usain may dribble like Stanley on the office.

14. heypartner

the analysis of Lin's acceleration requires increments more defined than given. And more data that was actually stored. Look at it this way...the NFL combine measures speed much better than the NBA cares about. We have never seen a chart like that for NFL wide receivers, cornerbacks and running back. And that is 40 yds vs 25 yds. The NFL only cares about final time,,,not avg or whatever or acceleration or whatever. It is because incremental acceleration over a short period is not worth measuring vs just the final time.

It is time over distance increments measured by starting velocity and end velocity for each increment. Peak velocity plays no role until you slice the increments to get that into play.

Peak speed has nothing to do with average. Average would be based on final time per increment. It is just cool to know top speed.

15. dd89

dd89 Member

i would've made the same mistake, just poking fun at ya :).

16. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

110 hurdle isn't about pure speed. technique is just as important as if not more than speed. in fact, liu has the slowest time of 100m dash out of the top hurdlers in the world but he has the best technique. that being said, his rise to the top was indeed a breakthrough for asians in the track events and that's the main reason he is so popular.

i meant black people of African desecent. african american, african caribbeans, african british, etc.

17. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

You didn't factor in drugs in track in field ;)
    How can we tell who is clean and who is not? :p

18. heypartner

Exactly...so do you think Usain Bolt could beat Lin in a 25yd dash while dribbling a basketball?

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

hes getting overrated for not having improved that much.

20. heypartner

Yeah, but still...why no Africans. No Africans are significant for 100m / 200m dash or hurdles...yet Liu won the Gold Medal for being deceptively fast. Why aren't Africans fast vs just distance runners? What is your point about "descent" like Africans had to mix before they became fast; yet apparentally when they mixed their US offspring sucked at the marathon.

so confused...this thread is so awesome.

#2420 heypartner, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012