1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Trade Lowry For Gasol? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aussie_Fozzey, Feb 28, 2012.

Tags:
?

Would you trade Lowry For Pau?

1. Yes Trade Lowry

92 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. No Keep Lowry

380 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, you can say this. But it's meaningless without facts to back it up, and then once you back it up it's only one piece in the whole picture of talent, salary, age, attitude, and fit.

I agree with you superficially, but by any measure Gasol's season has been at best mildly better than Lowry's statistically, which means it falls apart when you look at the rest of the picture. In terms of 'star quality', Pau's one of 3 good players on a 20-14 team. Lowry's by far the best player on a 21-14 team. What's your criteria for 'skill alone', then? Past results? You can't forecast past results as future performance for a 31-year-old.

2. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Well you can't really use this season for an indicator of Lowry's success either. We all know what happened to Brooks. Lowry could be at his peak with no further improvement. For the stat part, you only list PER but you need to consider that scoring is easier for Gasol, a strong post presense opens shooters up (look at Orlando), and Gasol protects the paint better.

Lakers are having all kinds of issues lately. You can blame it on Gasol trade speculation, no depth, bad PG play, or bad coaching. I think they're underachieving right now. The lakers seem to have a problem scoring this year either because Mike Brown sucks or Bynum and Gasol aren't getting the looks they need. Regardless of current record, I don't believe the Rockets could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series.

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

But, but, you said it was possible :(. Everything I used in that trade scenario works on the trade machine, which makes it possible according to you. What did I do wrong this time? Are you gonna join me at Toyota Center or not?

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Believe me, if their salaries were equal, I would probably be completely for the swap (and I am a Lowry fan).

But fact is, Gasol ruins our future and does not help us contend.

5. Mr. Space City

yes, let's trade a rising point guard for a declining big man who may not be motivated to play at a high level if he gets traded.

6. CDave

CDave Member

How do figure that if we're talking about the list of intangibles you just rattled off, the most problematic of which is the discrepancy between salaries? The rest of it, best case, reasonable people could disagree over.

Why not? Isn't that what you're doing when you claim Gasol is too old and maybe has 2 to 3 seasons of high productivity left? You're projecting that because certain players decline with age, so must that be true with Gasol.

The criteria for skill alone is pretty simple. There are far fewer highly skilled and productive seven footers in the league then there are guards. That's a fact and has been true of the NBA since forever.

So when you find a skilled 7 footer who score, rebound, rebound, pass and defend with high efficiency, that player is deemed highly skilled versus a highly talented guard of which there are always many to choose from.

Back to this identifying future performance based on past results, Lowry has become a fine player in the last season and a half by all indications. Because of his ery limited track record as a star is just as reasonable to assume that there is a risk that he may not continue his ascension to the highest quality point guards in the league.

In fact an argument can be made that there is a greater likelihood of that happening than there is of Gasol's performance falling off the end of the table in a progressive given the limited amount of time that Lowry has performed at this level versus Gasol's performance at this level.

You see it all the time. Players who look like they're going to be great for a short while who then simply regress in their performance.

The point is that there is a risk on both sides and it characterized either way just depending on the opinion you hold.

7. Aussie_Fozzey

Aussie_Fozzey Member

I would rep you if I could:grin:

8. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Team leader and loyal warrior for an aging player who doesn't want to play here, no thanks...I will take chances of Lowry soon gaining the respect to attract big names..

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Gasol can end his career with the team who really treats its players like assets if they dont win enough. Lakers have always been about winning first and players last.

10. psingh34

psingh34 Member

this makes no sense to me are you saying yao was skilled and olajuwon wasnt? I think dream was a skilled man who bc of his skills became dominating. I think you are confusing finesse and power with a skilled man... olajuwon, david robinson both had more of a finesse game and they both were dominant big man.. more so than shaq (during the primes of robinson and dream when yao was all power) and ewing

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I hate to keep feeding you, but morbid curiosity is consuming me and I just have to know. Somewhere in your warped little mind, you think you're winning something, don't you?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I said skilled only players...... the likes of Gasol who is not a power player at all.
    I agree with you. Of course Olajuwon had power and a skilled game. You saw the raw power clearly on the defensive end. It would be very nice to have both.
    Shaq however showed power only can dominate but it is hard for skilled only players to have success unless you are named Dirk and being gifted with a great shot. Example: Bargnani, and a couple of Euro players.
    Yao in his first years was not a powerful figure, a Kevin Martin stick figure with a finesse game.
    During a stretch before heavy injuries he played more down low and was dominant for a period.

13. psingh34

psingh34 Member

remember all the "morey sucks" comments that came when we traded for lowry or when we matched lowrys offer or when we traded brooks meaning lowry was going to start .. some fans just want to say morey sucks no matter what happens ..

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Stop taking the bait... its too easy.

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

lmao at the results. This is overwhelmingly a HELL NO. I wouldn't trade Lowry straight up for Gasol. That is ludacris. I don't really know how else to go about this, but how many times do we have to hear the same thing? If we traded Lowry for Gasol, Dwill better be here the next day. If not, Gasol can kiss my ass and rot in LA

16. CDave

CDave Member

And yet what's reported is that it's the Rox in constant pursuit of Gasol and the Lakers telling them, if you want Pau, here's what it will take to get him. If they don't like the price tag, why don't they move on?

17. cml750

cml750 Member

You forgot the most important part of the equation 'Heart". An athletic player without "heart" will never go very far while a lesser athletic player with "heart" will be better. Example, if you did a "heart" transplant and put Chuck Hayes heart in Thabeet you would probably have a superstar on your hands.

Also, ao the Lowry for Gasol trade. never in a million years!!!!!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good point. I think Chuck's Heart has to accept Thabeet though.
    Or Thabit accept Chuck's heart. You would have a Mutombo.... but where do you get the offensive output for a superstar? I wonder.

19. cml750

cml750 Member

I just believe thabeet is athletic enough to be a superstar on both ends of the court if he had a heart like Chuck. Sadly, he wil be unemployed in the near future.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It sucks to do this trade but with Mchale as the coach i'd do it then if we can get beasley for a 1st rounder i'd do that. Then start Dragic. Trade Scola and Martin for some great guard or new point guard but that probably won't happen.