1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Mings Off Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Yetti

Yetti Member

I was wondering if Yao Ming would be able to spend most of the next (2003) Offseason in Houston and be able to work with our Strength Coach at Westside?

2. Hiroshikun

Hiroshikun Member

Is there international hoop during the summer?
    I really hope, he doesn't get called up. After all, he needs rest. And I don't get the point of playing Yao in the meaningless games such as the Asian Games.:rolleyes:

3. derrock

derrock Member

Haha...to us its meaningless but not to China. I do agree, he needs rest but I think both sides (CBA and Rox) want him to rest during the other team's season. This kid is special. No true rest for how many years now? But he's so young too and you gotta be afraid of burn-out. I hope both sides can negotiate a way to give Yao his rest. I know he loves basketball but even Jordan needed to get away at times.

4. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

i'm sure that he will want to go back to shanghai to be with his friends and family.

5. oj411

oj411 Member

Yeah he is going back but his schedule in China would be much more easier then here about two games a week. So he will be able to get some rest.

6. leebigez

leebigez Member

Hopefully, the Rockets will help him with his strength and explosion, like the FAST program. First, he should take at least a month or so off, relax then hit the roadwork and weightroom. No need to go to big mans camp(Eddie Should attend though), and a little pick up ball would help. I would really like to see train with a track coach to improve his explosion and maybe bring Hakeem in to help him for low post work.

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

I heard Yao Ming has a nice size lake behind his house. If thats true then maybe Yao should buy a rowboat. Rowing would be a great way to improve his conditioning and stamina and even upper bodys strength, especially the tricep and lat areas. I doubt the ducks would mind, they surely would not quack at a 7-6 man in a rowboat.

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Haha, rowboat....i like that idea. He and Francis and some other ROckets player should do exactly that in the offseason. ROW ROW THE BOAT....My pOPEYE the sailor man!!

9. feishen

feishen Member

Great idea. It is just funny to imagine Ming sitting in a rowboat.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

I believe Team China will need to compete for a spot in the Olympics just like Team USA this upcomming summer.

11. dingbuyi

dingbuyi Member

Nope.

Team China will participate in the Asian Championship next summer. China has to win the champion to earn a spot in the Athens Olympics, so I bet Yao will return to China as soon as the Rockets completes their playoff. Let's just hope it would be in June 2003.:)

#11 dingbuyi, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  12. RIET

RIET Member

Ok, so when does he get to recuperate again?

Good lord, sounds like he's playing 12 months a year. If he doesnt hit the rookie wall, he'll hit some kind of wall. This is crazy.

13. oj411

oj411 Member

He is pretty much booked straight all the way to the 2008 Summer Olympics. He will have a somewhat of a breather when he leaves being that there are usually just two games a week.

14. dingbuyi

dingbuyi Member

We all know what happened to Peja Stojakovic of Kings and Manu Ginobili of Spurs. As an international player from China, Yao has to compete for his country during the NBA offseasons, just as Peja and Manu did and will do for their countries.

Let's just wish the Team China would take good care of our No.1 draft and not play him too hard in the Asian Championship or at least keep him healthy.

15. Yetti

Yetti Member

I understood that the Asian Champs were held once every 4 years! What info do you have?

16. adong

adong Member

All Chinese consider China can win the Asia championship easy without Yao ming.
    We also have Wang & Batter.That's enough to care Asia teams But China basketball official maybe don't think so.
    Yao's father said he is too tied

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Here we go again!

hang on, let me find the appropriate thread. We worked out all the tourneys and he DOES NOT have any this offseason.

EDIT:
    We worked it out in this thread...and here

If you read thru them you will find that as far as we could figger , he does not have another International tourney until 2004.

If you have verifiable information saying otherwise, please post the link so we can keep the truth flowing and not a bunch of suppositions.

#17 Rockets2K, Dec 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  18. oj411

oj411 Member

Well all the post and links are fine to prove a point but, if someone just ask Colin next time if Yao is going back to China during the offseason and you will see that he is. Trust me this is going to be a dead topic by June when he is gone.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I provide you with links showing hours of research to check dates and times of the various tourneys, and all you can say is this???

What da hell kinda response is that?

Are you tryin to say that you have inside information? Proof son. You want to make a point, show us some proof. Not "someone just ask Colin next time if Yao is going back to China during the offseason and you will see that he is".

Geeze
    some people wont admit they dont know or are flat out wrong! :mad:

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Did someone say Popeye... Is their trade on the way... what kind of squables are going on behind the scenes... come on Popeye give us the skinny