1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

where's the coaching for Parsons jumper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sweetbobl, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

Has anybody else noticed that Parsons misses his threes short every single time? His shot is also way too flat... which probably explains the issue.

Parsons & Budinger also don't understand how to create contact when they go to the rim. They try to avoid it making the shot harder & easier to block. That seems like something that can be corrected but I've seen no improvement from either of them. It's one of the big reasons why the Rockets are one of the worst NBA teams getting to the line. I have no coaching experience so does anybody with a basketball background agree with this?

1 person likes this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bud is afraid of contact. Parsons just fears the actual free throws.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Parsons definitely has fundamental issues with his shot. Even so, he's a rhythm shooter who is heavily reliant on confidence. Chandler has a good feel for the game and gets his in the flow. Look at that rising 3 point % this month. It's been said before, but he shot his FT's at 60% in college. It will come.
    As far as getting to the line ...Chandler's demonstrated the ability to get to the rack and doesn't fear contact....other than from a practical perspective right now with regards to his FT's..I don't see a problem there. Getting to the line is something that he will do over the course of his NBA career ...and he'll improve.

sidenote on Parsons - I couldn't help but touch on the fact once again that Parsons is in the top 10 defensive players as far as iso defense ...and without consistent interior defense behind him..

While it's true the Rockets need one or two guys that can create his own shot and get to the line ...especially to close games, it's not Bang or Bud's job.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Never noticed Parsons had a shooting problem. You may be on to something here...

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if he really is missing his 3ball short like you say it's probably because he is still adjusting to the nba 3.

6. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

There is no argument as far as his defense goes. They've done a great job coaching him there. I think a lot of it is his great natural instincts there, also. As far as their offense and ability to get to the line, Bud never plays late in games (if he plays at all these days) but Parsons could be more than just a Battier-like decoy with his athleticism. His passing instincts are also really good. I don't mind him struggling from the perimeter or at the rim but I'd like to see improvement as we move forward.

7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yeah, Lurch has done an amazing job with him. Chandler's had so much thrown at him and has responded in a big way. For him to soak it all in and become the starter is really something. I, too, think he is capable of much more and believe we'll see improvement across the board as his career unfolds.....

8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the problem is that he fades on every shot - even when he's wide open. So his arms are working harder than they have to - his legs are actually working against him. I wonder if he fades in practice or if it's just a bad habit that emerges during the pressure/excitement of the game. If he doesn't, it would explain a lot - an inconsistent form is a surefire way to lower shooting percentage.

Other than the fading part, his form looks ok. So I think a summer of practice (with a good shooting coach monitoring him) will go a long way. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a great shooter, but if Jason Kidd can develop a reliable 3-point shot, I think Parsons can too.

One thing to keep in mind this season - there is very little practice time. The tighter schedule means most practice is probably devoted to learning offensive and defensive sets. So the kind of individual attention to players isn't happening, which is why players with "issues" (shooting, defense) are probably not going to show the kind of improvement they would in a normal season. It might also explain why the borderline players (Squid, Flynn, Thabeet) aren't going to get any chances - there simply isn't the practice time to work out their issues.

9. houseofglass21

I've seen Parsons hit more than a few open threes this season. I didn't notice him fading away on them either.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

He fades away, at least a little bit, on every shot. He needs to cut that sh** out. Otherwise he shows signs that he can be a good shooter.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A flawed jumper is something coaching usually can't solve during a rookie season, especially a condensed one. It will be on Parsons to work hard over the summer and come back better.

12. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

I think it's a mental issue being a rookie.

13. Crush

Crush Rookie

He had some clutch 3s early in the season.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

There's just not enough time to fully fix the problem in this condensed season. If he can fix that shot and get to 70% ft, he could be better than Battier.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

b**** you wasn't in the gym when Chandler was shooting.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

33.3% in January

35.7% in February

There's a marginal improvement?

But I can't see them sitting him down and working on shot mechanics too much until the off-season. Probably over the all-star break is the best time to take a day or 2 and work on it - but after that it'll be the off-season.

He's never been an outstanding shooter, and he may never be. Keith Bogans eat your heart out!

17. Plowman

Supporting Member

He shot 21% for January and with increased minutes is hitting at that 36% clip this month.

Whoops ..just realized you were referring to his FT % ..LOL

18. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

patience...it will come

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

I don't understand how you can say Parsons is afraid of contact. You can bash his shooting all you want, HE IS A ROOKIE in a short NBA season, but Chandler is not afraid of contact at all. Lets not make up criticisms.