1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Future Centre - Bogut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmav23, Feb 24, 2012.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

[​IMG]

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I like healthy Andrew Bogut. I would love healthy Andrew Bogut on our team.

I also don't believe healthy Andrew Bogut exists anymore. So yeah...it would scare me to death to see him as a Rocket, even if we hypothetically got him for free.

3. Spankie

Spankie Member

4. alethios

alethios Member

He's not a free agent until 2014, plus he's owed 13 mill next year and 14 mill the season after that. We'd have to convince the Bucks to trade him and they'd most certainly want more than we're willing to give. With his knack for getting injured, it's not a good deal at all for us. The Bucks would be in the driver seat on this one.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Except not as good when healthy.

Yeah, no thanks.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I was all over pushing to get Bogut earlier in the season...

Solid contributor, great upside, reasonable contract...

He's been butting heads with Skiles - so I think he is obtainable...

But he is injured for 8-12 weeks - so he's not moving before trade deadline, but maybe in the offseason....

7. Rivers

Rivers Member

8. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-M-g5wZ5js4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/magic_kingdom_ransom_rj4s6vvwwG5y96M97eB9pO#ixzz1nVgTl97V

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This guy is injured every year, we had enough of injury-prone stars.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IDK, If you look at Bogut's injuries they've just been freak injuries like the video posted above. Injurie prone players like Yao, McGrady and even Oden we saw their bodies just start fall apart. Which isn't the case with Bogut.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Can somebody whose injured get traded? (bogut, JHill...) I just assumed they couldnt, being as they obviously couldnt pass a physical if injured... Am i incorrect in this assumption?

13. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Bogut when healthy is a beast on defense! I would love to see the rockets get him, obviously scary with the injuries though...healthy he is prob the third best center in basketball

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Milwaukee is openly shopping Bogut its most likely for three things....

-Young Talent
    -Shed Salary to free up cap space in two years(in order to keep Brandon Jennings)
    -Take on Stephen Jackson

More than likely, Bogut comes with Stephen Jackson in a package deal. If you want Bogut, you have to deal with Captain Jack for this year and next.

The deal that would make sense to me would be

Martin/Thabeet/Flynn/Marcus Morris or Chase Budinger

for

Bogut/Stephen Jackson

-Reasons the Bucks do this-

They are simply giving up on the Bogut and need to get rid of Captain Jack. The front office and fans have been waiting for Bogut for years to be an All-star center and he's just simply never been healthy enough to center your franchise around. The franchise will want to build around young talent and Brandon Jennings.

The issue is that they will need to give Brandon a near max level contract after 2013 to keep him, and shedding Boguts contract in 2013 gives them enough salary relief to resign Jennings along with the hopes of another young talented player coming over to play alongside Jennings. Its not likely, but dont tell the Bucks front office that.

Kevin Martin teaming up with Jennings gives them one of the best backcourts in the East. The problem in Milwaukee is scoring the ball. They can get more consitent wing scoring from Martin and less lockeroom issues than Jackson causes. This move also can help them shed salary this year and save them anywhere from 500K to 1Mil this year, and an additional 12Million in 2013.

-Why Houston Does this-

Bogut- Big men dont grow on trees and Bogut's injuries have NOT BEEN CHRONIC. Much like Martin in Sacramento, his injuries have been due to his physical style of play and not due to chronic Knee, back, or foot issues. Its a gamble if he continues to keep getting injured, but thats the price you pay to get a top 5 center in the NBA.

The franchise believes in Courtney Lee. Going into restricted free agency the Rockets will have a chance to match a likely mid level salary that Lee will get offered. The Rockets lose 5 to 10 PPG in switching Martin's minutes with Lee's, but gain alot on the defensive end of the court.

The Rockets also loose their 2011 draft pick in Morris which could hurt if he explodes on the scene, but they are going to have to give some other young talent to get this deal done. Maybe they can move Parsons, Budinger, or a draft pick instead, but The Bucks will most likely be intrigued by Morris the most of the four.

So the Rockets roster would look like this going into the summer-

Lowry
    Lee, Jackson
    Parsons, Budinger
    Scola, Patterson, Montiejunas
    Bogut, Dalembert, Smith

+ 2 2012 Draft picks, 1 late 1st round Knicks pick, 1 2nd round pick from Minnesota.

-So all in all, the Rockets would be a better team if everyone is healthy, but still not quite a contender. Making this move would be a bit of a head scratcher, but its a move that does make sense for both teams. The Rockets would still need to make some moves in free agency and trade in the summer for depth at the wing spots and PG.

#35 dobro1229, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bogut has had only one season above 20 PER. I don't know why people think he is a superstar level talent. He's not.

17. dobro1229

The people who are high on Bogut typically are recalling the eye test that he passes when you watch him play when healthy. This guy, even though he does not play heavy minutes, simply dominates the paint. On paper his production isn't that much of an upgrade over Dalember, but the eye test sells people on how good this guy really is.

If the Rockets are giving up something like Martin + minor fillers then its a gamble I take any day. Like I mentioned before though, Bogut most likely comes with Captain Jack. Can McHale, or DOES MCHALE want to deal with that guy for a whole other season??? Thats the question.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Id be willing to trade if we can involve Scola. Otherwise I dont like the idea of giving up anything valuable for a broken down player. He is YAO v2.

19. dobro1229

I think everyone would rather give up Scola than Martin, but I dont think the Bucks will have much interest in Scola because they are going to key 2013 as a year they will want salary cap relief to re-sign Jennings. Martin would fit perfectly in their plans financially and basketball wise.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't Bogut that joint, my friend.