1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Kevin Martin not allowed to touch the ball on Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VBG, Feb 14, 2012.

1. VBG

VBG Member

I guess I'm the only Kevin Martin supporter on here. He just isn't getting the ball on offense. How is he supposed to score if he doesn't get the ball in places for him to succeed?

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That is the oldest (and lamest ...no offense) excuse in the book. I've got a riddle for you: who has 4 inches on his defender, yet can't shoot, can't dribble, can't play defense, and is sucking up 20% of our payroll? Oh ...and is apparently trying to blame others for his poor performance?

3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Saw him get the ball several times on the Memphis game. He passed it to dalembert. Also saw him be careless wih the ball for past few games

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I've been a big supporter of Kevin Martin.

But it's obvious that him and McHale aren't jiving and he isn't in our long term plans. What's terrible about it is his value is plummeting when we need it to be increasing. (See N.O. and Kaman) McHale and Morey should be on the same page and McHale should know whether or not they are going to move him and play him accordingly. This is a mediocre non-contending borderline playoff, but lottery-bound team. For goodness sake, get on the same page, and if you are gonna move a guy, then make him look good. They should be running Martin off 3 or 4 screens per possession and making sure he gets the ball where he wants it to be effective. He can tell them and they can accomodate so that we get maximum value when we move him.

This bullcrap of screwing up games and making his value go in the toilet at the same time is ... stupid.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hope Morey's trying to work a 3-way with Adleman, cause other GMs are gonna try and lowball the hell out of us.

6. VBG

VBG Member

He hasn't blamed any teammate for anything.

He murdered the Grizzlies last year.

So a 24ppg scorer can't shoot? Did you really say KEvin Martin can't shoot?

Tony Allen is probably the best perimeter defender in the game...

And Kevin Martin is playing better defense this year.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

All of those things are true. He's kept it professional and above board off the court. But it's obvious the chain-yanking isn't going to work with Martin. Might work for Budinger (temporarily, before he goes back to mediocrity) and others, but it won't work for Martin. McHale doesn't like Martin and doesn't value Martin. I'm not saying whether that is right or wrong. But it is obvous to me that Martin is not McHale's type of guy. McHale wants team basketball, he wants the basketball shared, but he don't like stick men. He wants guys out there that can ramble around, are a bit cantankerous with the opponent, that have skills to boot, and most of all that can defend. Martin just doesn't fit with what McHale is doing and the "drop 'em on the bench" mantra isn't going to improve his game, it's only going to hurt his numbers and lower his trade value. McHale and Morey should realize this and work accordingly until they get him out of here at the deadline.

Unless...............

they've already got a deal for him and they are minimizing the chances for him to get hurt.

Me thinks this is a distinct possibility since I simply don't believe that Morey is this dumb to let this kind of thing go on and destroy potential trade value.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You might be surprised what Martin is worth in trades. Especially this March given that he will be going into the final year of his contract next season. If you have someone for him to play off of, then he's an unbelievable player.

Minnesota, more than most teams, know what could do to their offense, and they would probably be first in line for Martin, but I dont think they are the only team that scouts this guy and know how good he is.

There are teams that can offer more, and arent teams that will be fighting the Rockets for a playoff spot for years to come.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Kevin Martin had his first scoreless game as a starter in a 93-83 loss to the Grizzlies on Tuesday. Martin attempted three shots in just 19 minutes of action, but would not say that he should be more of a focal point of the offense.

“I don’t need plays for me to get going," Martin said. "I’ve been successful in my career just getting in the flow of the game. I’m over there chilling. It is what it is at the moment.”

Martin’s frustration was more about getting benched.

“Sometimes, it’s nothing about the number of shots,” Martin said. “It seems like a lot of things have changed in the past two weeks.

“If we’re winning and I’m sitting, I’m happy. Tonight, we got beat and I’m on a 10-day contract leash. I’m not happy about that just because we lost. If we’re winning, I’ll sit over there for 48 minutes.”

10. Rednation713

Rednation713 Member

and Only stand on the Corner I'm standing up with you and my bro martin...People show no respect only look at the points if you were in his position then you'll know and understand like ok im a SG i can't just stand on each side and what not...#REDNATION CMON!

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Welcome back Martin!!!