1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey regrets Jeremy Lin cut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fostate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I doubt he has the same impact as Lin...lol.....

The worst thing is that by dropping Lin they basically allowed NY to get into the playoffs, thus screwing us doubly.....oh the pain.

DD

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Chris Finch is Morey's guy. He wanted Adrien to get a shot. Hell they chose Adrien over Smith, Morris, & Lin. Adrien was going to get his shot this year no matter what. I just hope it pans out.

3. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

They cut Lin before the season instead of Adrien (even though both were unguaranteed contracts) because at the time the Rockets had no back-up big men ready to play. Jordan Hill and Luis Scola were starting. Patterson was coming off surgery to start the season, Dalembert was not in shape and working himself back through games, and Hasheem Thabeet has 0 endurance to play meaningful minutes. Of course they kept Adrien over Lin at the time.

They had a tough initial 10 games (including a back-to-back-to-back, and probably valued the depth in the front court more than carrying a 3rd/4th string point guard.

4. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Well it now seems morey has let a slew of good players go, he is officially a bad gm in my eyes.

5. ThaShark316_28

Wait, y'all thought the Knicks were missing the playoffs?

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LOL..............!

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How do you expect it to pan out, when he was waived?

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

And Adrien's last stint with us was pretty good wasn't he? He grabbed a ton of rebounds and altered a bunch of shots. WE needed a big man because before Lin was cut, Pat was still injured and Dalembert was not signed yet. We LACKED a big man. Outside of Dalembert and Scola, how bad did our frontcourt look early on the season? Morey was attempting to address a position of weakness.

In hindsight, yes. Morey kept the worse player over Lin. That doesn't make the decision he made wrong when he cut Lin for Dalembert.

9. houseofglass21

Morey should be fired for letting Lin go. This is ridiculous

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

jesus. some people refuse to give the guy an ounce of criticism. even though he's done virtually nothing since he's been here to get us closer to a ring. it's crazy.

11. DaDakota

It is not that black and white, he cut Lin and kept Adrien, that was his mistake.

I understand needing the guaranteed contract amounts in case a superstar player breaks loose...(Yeah, like that will happen), but if he saw this guy and failed to see his talent, then his talent evaluator is broken.

This kid runs a team, he really knows how to control the tempo - which is rare in a young player, something we don't have on the team today even.

Just a bad move.....and a crack in Morey's armor, IMO.

DD

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Meaning, I hope Flynn's contract if flipped in a meaningful trade, and Smith/Morris's time in the D-league makes them hungry enough to make an impact. If Flynn is just released after the deadline, its going to look worse. The Adrien ship has sailed.

13. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

No one could have expected him to play like this, NO ONE.

Just be happy for the kid and move on with the Rockets.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No, you're being ridiculous. Every GM deserves to be fired then. The Knicks lucked out. We're working with a 4 game sample size. I'm frustrated like everyone but a lot of people are going overboard.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Are you speaking of Morey?

16. DaDakota

I totally agree, no one could have seen this, it is a perfect storm for him, and it allows him to get his feet wet and gain the respect of Melo and Amare while they are out.

I mean a PERFECT storm for him.

DD

17. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

Sorry, had to do it...

[​IMG]

And yes, I realize they are in the Garden and he's in an away jersey.

1 person likes this.
  18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Morey regrets big time..he knows it..

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol. ok. anyone would have made the same trade with the spurs for scola that morey did. ANYONE.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Look, as Durv pointed out.

Did you not say you wanted Greg Smith over Lin? I assume you said that because you know our PG is not a position of weakness.

Our big man position has been a position of weakness. We lost Chuck Hayes, Patterson is injured. Thabeet is trash, Jordan Hill was as good as Thabeet early on the season.

We had NO reliable big man defender before Dalembert. Scola cannot defend, Jordan Hill cannot defend, Thabeet cannot defend and Pat is out.

It made sense to acquire a big man defender over a 3rd string PG when our PG is already loaded.

Whether it ended working out in our favor or not is a different story. In hindsight, Morey made a mistake. But what he did made sense, people weren't crying over the loss of Jeremy Lin (I was a huge supporter of him but it's obvious which position needed more help).