1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why arent we consitent???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao1134, Dec 7, 2002.

1. sun12

sun12 Member

It is a little bit early to say this as Ming just came.
    Give it one year, then see how it fits. In the future, I suppose we are going to play a half-court offense, so Steve might have to adjust. We will see.

2. mancarcat

mancarcat Member

Yao likes doing long range shots. What a pity. But he said today he will move his shooting spot more close to the rim. I hope he can do it.

3. mancarcat

mancarcat Member

I agreed with you. No one can make 25-15-5 every night, neither can TIM D. or KOBE B. Yao has been crusaging for quite a few days, and he's only a rookie to the NBA. CBA plays only 24 games one season. Yao is tired!
    What's more, i think one player can be easily affected by teammates' emotion and status, so usually a whole team will be in a mess. This is Yao's individual fault.

4. Panda

Panda Member

No rhythm. We don't have a fluid offensive system that consistently involves every player. We also have players who have bad habits that serve as momentum killers.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We...

Need to get used to the emerging use of the zone? Need to find a consistent rotation? Need to play good defence? Need each player to know their roles?

Choose any. We're still a young team. Think of Dallas 3 years ago when they suprised the league as new "up and comers".

6. redhova

redhova Member

The Rockets are currently the fourth best scoring defense team in the league. I think this is a team accomplishment as well as the Ming factor so a trade will not mess this up. The Rockets to me seem to lay too much of a perimeter game without that many good shooters. On top of that we do not get the best shot possible on a consistent basis. As much as I think we have a weakness at the power forward position I think to be consistent we need to make a trade for maybe a point forward role player that can create good shoots for the rest of the team. Then I think the performance from the power forward position Maurice taylor mainly will be more consistent and the play from the rest of the teams play will help win more games. we are on our way to playoff basketball. Go Rocks:)

7. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

It can all be said with 1) young team 2) new system 3) getting acclimated to playing with Yao.

It took the Pistons awhile to gel, it took the Bulls awhile to gel, it took the old Rockets time to gel, it took the Lakers time to gel.

Its hard to be patient when you see so much talent the Rox have but its going to take time for them to find their way. Also with the league playing alot more zone (I really don't remember anyone besides Minnesota playing as much zone last year as I've seen already this year) this year the leagues offenses are taking time to catch up with the defenses.

There is no way if your truly being objective to say that the Rockets aren't vastly improved over last year and for that matter the year before that when we snuck up on the league and won 45. Last year we were one of the laughing stocks of the league nobody took us seriously. This year everyone is getting primed to play us. We are not sneaking up on anyone.

Listen to the opposition talking about the Rox before and after the game. There's a respect factor there that you haven't heard since the last time Barkely and Hakeem were healthy. Teams are giving us their A game instead of just showing up and expecting a win.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its hard to get a good flow when the team is turning the ball over. The team looks like they try to run some kind of motion early in the game, then after that, htey go back to dribble ,dribble,dribble. I like them going into Ming in the post, but i wish they would start with him weakside of ball, let the guard set a pick and roll him to the side of the ball for easier positioning. Its like Rudy doesn't know how to comibine the basically 2 different styles of his team. Regardless, this team is inconsistent mainly because of the stupid to's they continue to make. Last night they had a 3pt lead and a gift wrapped to by charlotte, instead of them scoring they ran down the court, made a couple of passes and turned it right back over. Its like they just don't get it whatever they call it.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

young team
    no bread and butter play

10. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

nachbar went at 15 right? why isnt he getting playing time??? i here he can shoot well.

11. AMS_blackwidow

we arent consistent
    1. injuries
    2. players coming back from injuries
    3. players being streaky.
    4. adjusting a 7-5 BIG CHINESE MAN IN THE MIDDLE

12. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

i understand all that but still. this season we have had a full team for alot of the time. at least our key players. francis needs to mold into a more "Point guard" if he is gonna stay at the 1 spot

13. AMS_blackwidow

he was doin it fine for 3 years till YAO(and his fans) came along.

francis is still one of the top 3 point gaurds in the league, and i bet U any team Cept the NEts would trade PG's

14. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

i think itsa a tie for best point guard. francis and kidd. kidd gets more credit cuz they got to the finals. im not dogging him kidd is great id love to have him. but francis is a "new style" point guard in the league. lots of teams would love to have him as well. i just think he should play more passing roles. as well as scoring. i am not taking anything away from francis i love the guy

go rox

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well since we are osting here all day and we have nothing better to do, let's try to build a "Clutch BBS Consensus" on the subject.

I think we can agree that:

1) Moochie in the 4th quarter is not a boon to consistency. Someone earlier mentioned that he is an accident waiting to happen. I like him as a change of pace PG, he can come in and give the Rockets spurts of energy and hussle. Sometimes he plays so well and energetically that Rudy T. keeps him in down the stretch. But although he plays hard, he isn't good enough to offset his lack of athleticism. (for another thread: why does Rudy T. often not use Steve as the point down the stretch?)

2) Stop the ISO's in the 4th, particularly to KT. I like KT and he can be pretty consistent. We saw this last year and last night with his big game. However, he is not a go-to guy. We saw this last night as well. He didn't hit the big shots. The fact is, he isn't a Karl Malone, he isn't going to deliver day and night. The offense should be set up differently.

Maybe you guys can think of other stuff...

16. ym11

ym11 Member

if we play offense throught the Center (yao ming) we have to play half-court offense , does it !!!!