1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glue Men: Parsons and Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2012.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

haha :) yeah, he became a model for Bud to emulate in terms of his motor and activity on the court.

I like it also when McHale keeps saying, it's not so much the no. of points one makes but how involved one is in the game, doing the little things that contribute into winning.

2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I have been impressed with them both this season. I think that Patterson has a chance to be a 20ppg player in the near future when he gets the playing time. He really has the best touch on the ball of anybody on the team inside of 18 feet.
    Parsons defense is great especially for a rookie. I know this is some wishful thinking but I really think that he has a chance to be a better defender than Shane, he is longer and quicker so in a couple of years who knows. He is already good at passing, he just needs to work on his shot in the off season to take the next step.

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

In a sense, yes. Pale as he was, the Batman was the hero Houston deserved, but not the one it needed at this time. Circumstances called for him to march off to the glue factory. Soon, a newer, Darker Knight shall rise in his place.

[​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol good one

who's the Battier stand-in?

5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

That could be a certain former BYU star getting his cerebellum extracted. More importantly though, would you check out that death stare? By Zeus! He's trying to get into our heads man!

Chandler Parsons: So cerebral.

6. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Parsons is easily my favorite Rocket. Love everything about him, especially the hustle and defense.

I'm still not sold on Patterson. He's decent, solid, but the way some people around here talk of him like an all-star is laughable. How about he cracks a starting rotation first?

7. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

Pretty fair analysis. One area of opportunity of growth for Patterson is too consistently set solid screens like Chuck did. When Patterson doesn't just go through the motion & actually sets the solid screen it space the development of the play out even more than before. I've noticed that these past two games especially tonight Felton was fighting through, over, around, those screens too easy. Other than that both players are successfully embracing & executing their roles out to the best of their abilities at this juncture of the season & their careers.

8. Rowdy20

Rowdy20 Member

Remember when the knock on Lowry was that he couldn't shoot? I've got hope for Chandler in that department if he puts in the work.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think the coaches are retooling his shot, correcting his footwork and asking him to put a higher arc to it, so yeah, he will be inconsistent.

On his FTs, maybe he should just use the board. His FTs are always too strong.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd sorta like Parsons to become this guy...

[​IMG]

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Bobby Jones sounds like a really good comparison.

More on him:

http://www.nba.com/sixers/features/bobby_jones_090506.html

[rquoter]
    Jones was best known for his skills that did not make the box scores. He excelled in his movement without the ball, his passing ability, and his dynamic rebounding and blocking skills. Bobby rarely took a shot. Maurice Cheeks recalls, "You had to make him take a shot. I remember Billy (Cunningham) telling him, 'Bobby, you've got to shoot the ball. You have to do those things.' "

He was not only one of the best defensive players in the NBA, he was also one of the most hard-working, selfless, and humble players to ever grace the hardwood due to his work ethic and deeply in stowed Christian beliefs. Teammate Julius Erving said, "He's a player who's totally selfless, who runs like a deer, jumps like a gazelle, plays with his head and heart each night, then walks away from the court as if nothing happened."[/rquoter]

12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

I loved the way they finished. PPat is not as good as Hayes TBH, but he can get above the rim to erase mistakes. Chuck never could. Parsons is a non stop motor guy, and a gritty defender. They also have enough offensive skills that you have to account for them. If paired with a go-to offensive weapon, look out.

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Battier's not even really pale. The guy is trollin' hard or color-blind.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, I hate this comparison.

I've watched a lot of Bobby Jones, and he is freaking Michael Jordan on offense compared to Chandler Parsons. Bobby Jones was just wet...

15. Pete the Cheat

man...Patterson's screens are pretty frustrating. You can tell he gets into a nice groove flying around the court, and then either doesn't take the time to set the screen (and gets whistled), or starts worrying about setting the screen, so the defender gets around him too easily...

just seems like a mental lapse is his game

16. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Some Florida fan nailed Parson's shooting problem before the season ever started: He almost always fades away even from 3 point range. When he goes straight up he does much better. I'm hoping this is not one of those muscle memory things that is really hard to overcome. If he gets consistent on his three point shot he can be a real plus on both sides of the court.

Patterson can evolve into a solid starter in my opinion. His mid range jumper is great and team defense is getting better. Like everyone else has said he needs to play a little bigger, but I think he was playing that way last year and is just getting his hops back from injury.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Sig worthy.

From the mouth and mind of Katt Williams, "N!ggas, gotta get you some white friends."

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bobby Jones appears to be quite excited about playing hoops.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Really liking Parsons game, especially as only a rookie. The moneyball approach really is effective in that regard.

If only we had a legit core :(

Seriously, our drafting is absurdly good.

Edit-also, assuming we made the Gasol trade and signed Nene, we would of probably not lost to Mil. and Minny twice. We would be 18-8 and second seed in the West right now.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looks like I need to pay closer attention to this, then. I didn't notice this being a problem for him.