1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Failed Out of TSU Law

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smokey, Feb 8, 2012.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Huh, didn't know that having an alumni do poorly was cause for suspicion of a university...huh. But I mean, you went to Rice so who am I to question.

2. AFS

AFS Member

It's one thing to get an undergrad degree, but it's something completely different to do well in your classes while getting it. The median LSAT/GPA for TSU law is 146/2.98. That LSAT score is well below 50th percentile (I think a lot of the people on this board could make at least a 150 with some preparation) and the GPA median isn't so hot either.

I may be completely off-base with this, but I think odds are he wasn't a very good student. Definitely not the stereotypical Asian type.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I made a joke about UH that I would have made about UNT, TTU, and even harder for TSU and other schools. relax

4. TracyMcCrazyeye

your argument may hold some water if there was a trend of alumni from a certain school failing out, but this is one student

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have no bias or argument against UH. I know they have a great ChemE program

Doesn't sound off base to me. If he was taking care of business in his other classes I think he could have weathered the D the prof he is suing gave him without dropping under 2.0 and appealed it.

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Fo sho, in retrospect I would have made the exact same joke. My bad brah, hug it out?

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why did this become a school bashing contest? School is what the student makes out of it to an extent. My dad's best friend when to TSU law because he had no other options at the time, he now has his own practice and banks. There are plenty of people that went to better law schools that are having problems finding jobs, the school can do so much but it's the person at the end.

This guy was apparently lazy as hell, had nothing to do with UH undergrad. UH is a top Poli Sci school in the nation, and has one of the best value law schools in the nation so I'd imagine they'd be great at preparing students for Law School. But apparently this guy didn't take advantage of that.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

It never was school bashing, it was honestly a joke that flew over my head and started this spiral of anger. My only fault...is that I love UH too much...

9. Chopped

Chopped Member

a dumbass is a dumbass no matter what school they go to.

10. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

That's what she said.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Thank you for turning a hilarious news story into a pissing contest.

Anyways, since dude is being dramatic, he embarrassed his family by going to TSU Law. Failing out is icing on the mother****ing cake.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I went to law school with someone who graduated from UT and failed out after the first semester... another one dropped out mid way through finals claiming they would not pass.. She had graduated from Penn State ... Law school is a different animal. Often times students with a background in science and math struggle.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at Simpsons tie.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

TSU is fourth tier and a bad one by those standards.
    The Asian dude embarrassed his family by going to TSU in the first place.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You had the honour of going up against Lionel Hutz in court? WOW!
    I hope you treasure your work on that case. :)

16. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

The unemployment rate is still high. Fail or no fail. Whatever.

Also, they must accept it and move on. The best lawyers and people for that matter are the ones who overcome it.

17. updawg

updawg Member

I bet he posts on here.

Isn't paulfssk??? Asian and a Cougar

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

its hard to believe an asian not in the sciences. i thank your people for helping me get through p chem.

20. Isabel

Isabel Member

Exactly. One D is not going to drop your GPA down that far unless your other classes weren't much better. (though not sure how many other classes they had gotten to take or how long they had been there)

To be fair, I don't like the grading system described in the article, though I'm sure law schools probably have a different tradition for doing things. If half of your grade is a multiple choice final (not sure why you have to have an outside contractor, probably whoever writes the test, evaluate it instead of writing some sensible questions yourself and running the Scantrons through the machine - seems like a poor use of money by the school, but anyway) and then the other half of the grade is determined by class rank, then not only is it set up for someone to fail every time, but you have no idea where you stand until the end of the semester when it is too late. I think it's important to have a system where grades are given on various assignments throughout the semester and the students know where their grades stand and what can be done about it.