1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Can Houston Rockets possible to pull off D Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamuelSoo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SamuelSoo

SamuelSoo Member

Rockets has a tradition that dominated center. After Yao's retiring, I think if rocket wanna enter playoff or get a higher position, a dominated center in urgently needed. Although Howard is in a last year contract, it still worth to take a risk.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nice to dream............but ain't gonna happen bro.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We might be able to bring back a J. Howard but that's about it. He's tall though.

4. Thisisbj88

Thisisbj88 Member

That hurt to read.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Not happening. I'd be happy with Cousins but I don't even see that happening.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's all? You just be "happy"? Damn, I would throw away half the roster for Cousins...

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think we have better assets to trade for a superstar right now than we have in the past few years. Typically what teams trading superstars want is, in the order of importance:

1. Young future superstars who are have already proven they are good NBA players (not usually available even for a proven star, so it may be that nobody else offers this)
    2. High lottery picks (Knicks pick could be this--we haven't had a pick which looks like it will be as good for awhile)
    3. Young, unproven players with high ceilings (Morris, Motiejunas could fit this, we never had rookies-pre-rookies with such high ceilings before now)
    4. Proven, cost-controlled or restricted FA roleplayers (Lowry, Patterson, Budinger, Parsons, maybe Hill)
    5. Expiring contracts to fill the gaps and save the team trading away the superstar money (our '09ers who have the added benefit of having a little bit of gamble-worthy upside)

In short I think we can put together a very attractive package for a superstar, whether that be Howard, D-Will, or somebody else who becomes available. The big question is whether they would sign an extension.

8. SamuelSoo

SamuelSoo Member

why? Big deal is less happened in recent year, if the trade of getting Peace World in one. I'd like to offer any player except Lorry.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Quoted for truth.

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Dude just made it obvious that he's trolling with that last post.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

Like a sir...

12. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

no he doesn't want to play here.

13. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Dwight Howard will only go where he wants to go, and he has made it clear he doesn't want to go to Houston. That could change if as our roster does, but I would say it would be next to impossible for it to materialize by the trade deadline, not to mention generally not worth it as you would likely have little left to build with around DH.

This has been discussed on here ad nauseam.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

LOL - I'd throw the whole roster at him but it was just a statement of we'd have a better chance of getting Cousins and that's not happening. ie. No way in hell we are getting Howard.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

We have those?

Moreover, biggest point ... we are not one of Dwight's choices, while honestly you cannot trade him to Houston without almost gutting the roster. Yet, still leave the Rockets for a team like LA, Dallas, or New Jersey.

Again with the picks, Dwight is alone is worth a top 5 pick and more.

If there are rumored deals for Blake Griffin and maybe a Gasol/Bynum type deal.

Fans on here tend to overvalue some of our players.

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

5-star thread, well worth the read

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dwight Howard wants to go where he gets 3 things:

1. Winning organization
    2. Cap space to sign DWill in the offseason
    3. Decent media market

Dwight has not made it clear he doesn't want to be in Houston. If we traded for him with enough cap room to bring over DWill in free agency, then I am betting he would much rather stay here and keep his $30 million instead of go to NJ and have to try to make that up plus the 9% sales tax plus the higher cost of living in extra endorsements he thinks he could get up there instead of here. We've just got to win the sweepstakes and convince him.

Lowry/Martin/Dally/Scola/Patterson/Knicks draft pick for Howard/Hedo/Duhon.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Waiting for a Carl Herrara joke

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Whoops! here comes Greg Smith.

Lowry/Martin/Dally/Scola/Patterson/Smith/Budinger/Knicks pick for Dwight/Hedo/Duhon/QRich/Orlando second rounder.

20. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Queue slow, sarcastic clap.