1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taken (Sci-Fi Channel Mini Series)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Nov 30, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

New 10 part TV mini series by Steven Spielberg. Link to Sci-Fi Channel Info.

I wonder if this will be as bad as A.I.?

any thoughts on either Spielberg production?

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

A.I. was a good concept. But it tried to be sooooo HUMAN, that it
    became sentimental, and not drama.

It was patronizing and sappy...

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I loved A.I.

4. rockHEAD

I agree with David S. -

I also think Spielberg could have take AI in so many other directions and been shorter a movie. :p

Hopefully Taken will follow a more standard formula than some futuristic ego mind trip that AI was for Spielberg. :confused:

Does anyone have any comment on the Robin Williams A.I. type movie, Bicentennial Man?

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Don't worry rockHEAD, it should be good....I'm anticipating the first episode as well.

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

DCKid,

I didn't hate A.I.

I was just disappointed in the direction it went.

Have you ever seen an old space movie in the 60 or 70's
    and the actors described a device called a "computer."

But, they didn't describe the computer because it was part
    of the script (scene), but because they "knew" that they
    were "in a movie" or "being watched."

That's insulting. Especially when you see the movie years after
    it came out.

Also, what's the point of making a movie about a A.I. boy, when
    throughout the whole movie all he wanted to be was human?

I mean, how arrogant can you get!?

That's a "feel-good-about-being-human" movie.

Do I need Hollywood to tell me that? I mean, let the situations in the
    story tell me that, not the actors.

A.I. was force feeding me and almost lecturing me how great the human
    being is.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Why watch it now when it will be a 15 disc DVD set in a few months? :)

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

In the same vein, why get out of bed...:rolleyes:

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I really liked A.I. Haley Joel Osment is the best child actor I have ever seen (I wish he had played Anakin Skywalker in Phantom Menace). I thought the bear was creepy and cool too. Yeah, the ending wasn't that great but it the movie as a whole was better than most. It's funny that people tend to really love or hate A.I. Critics say it is too long and boring, but the same people also say that about 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I thought Speilberg took the movie over from Kubrick? It would of been cool to see what his finished product would of been, instead of Steve's Disney-like ending.

I still give A.I. 4 stars.

10. rockHEAD

Spielberg took over for Kubrick? Really?

that would explain things a bit...

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From what I remember, it WAS a Kubrick idea that he had worked on for some years and hadn't made. Speilberg got involved with Kubrick and then Kubrick passed away. (total bummer) Speilberg carry's it to fruition and the movie suffers as a result. Definitely becomes another flick in the second half. Very flawed as a result, but parts of it were great.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Believe it or not, I heard the whole Pinocchio theme was all Kubrick's idea, as well as the ending. Personally, I would have liked it to end after the ferris wheel came down, but I liked the rest of the movie so much I don't hold the ending against it.

I thought the same thing about Minority Report too. The ending didn't do justice to the rest of the movie.

#12 DCkid, Dec 2, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  13. rockHEAD

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Did anybody watch this?

It was pretty interesting how they took a central figure like Mack Brrazle and made him incidental. Lots of "previously unknown" but significant events surrounding the Roswell incident are portrayed. I'd say there is a heavy layer of fiction hovering here. I expected it to be more historically accurate.

Part I replayed from 7-9 ET with Part II to follow from 9-11 ET.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm not sure I believe thes BIG names like spielberg are putting in much effort. My guess is they got paid big bucks to tack their name onto this type of stuff. I just saw an add for James Cameron's Bismark. This seems to have been going on for a while now, but I think it's a big dupe. I could be wrong. But That's the gut feeling I'm getting.

It is possible they thought these movies were to complicated for big screen and sold the concept to TV. But if that's true, why not just sell to what seems a bigger market. Video games. So I'm thinking they just tacked their names onto a concept.

16. Timing

Timing Member

Is anyone watching this series? I finally caught it tonight and it was alright I guess. Is one of these guys the son of an alien? I'm kind of lost.

17. spaceghost

spaceghost New Member

I was lost too and I watched the part when the alien was in the tree.I will wait for it on dvd.
    It does look promising.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

my dad was watching it behind me while i was on the computer. I watched a few scenes, (diner shooting, father in the hospital, finding out that the father and son and the exact same tumor) interesting stuff. I would have watched the rest but missed a few mins of it already. Ill just wait for the DVD or watch the replay, if there is one.

19. giddyup

I've seen every minute of it this series. Let me know if you have any specific questions you want answers to. It's too complex to summarize...

20. giddyup

Yes, the young boy Jacob (hiding at school in Montana) is the son of an alien and a woman. Her two grown children don't really think Jacob is an alien-- just a little strange but they are very devoted to him because his mother loved Jacob's father who had assumed a human identitity for escape and ultimatelly procreative purposes. He was the fifth and only unaccounted for alien (the one in the tree that someone referred to). from the original saucer crash in 1947.