1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking down Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rlmjdime, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

Euro lovers have overun clutchfans so bad its scary

They wont rest until the Rockets are the Western Confernce equvialent of the Toronto Raptors.

Saying crazy stuff like we should keep Dragic over Lowry, and trading Patterson instead of Scola are just some of the crazy things i have heard on this site from them( and they seem to have a strong following of support as well)

They hate Marcus Morris(trust me). If and When Marcus Morris comes up from the D-League this year and joins the Rockets( if Morris has one bad game), they will be ready to trade him. Meanwhile they give passes to Budinger, Parsons, and Scola when they stink up the joint

You can deny what im saying as factual all you want, but the fact remains, that if you skim through most of these threads you will similar ludacris post on here.

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

No highlights of him trying to take his man from the 3 pt line and beat him off the dribble then penetrate to the rim. No highlights of him dribbling/handling the ball at the perimeter at all. No highlights of how he guards wings on the perimeter. I know only 3 games but I thought he was already capable of playing the 3 and he wasnt there trying to learn how to play the 3.

What we just saw him do in d-league is pretty much identical to his college highlights. Same moves from same positions. So whats new? Wheres the Melo like comparison?

Melo is so quick to beat his guy off the dribble and get past his guy/guys with any number of moves and get to the rim. Melo is so comfortable in dribbling the ball from anywhere on the court to beat any number of players. Morris doesn't even seem to want to bounce the ball more then two or three times. Morris in those highlights can only score from the left side on the low block with the same PF moves he had in college.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i know right, why should they expect anyone to play dee?:rolleyes:

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Go back wathc his Dleague games. He tore it up as a 3, that's all that matters.

People get too much into what a position does and how a position should be played. That doesn't matter. Chuck Hayes is a big man despite his height. Dirk is tall enough to be a Center but you'd be crazy to play him there and his game is nothing like a prototype 4, yet that's what he does.

If Morris game translates to the NBA than it really doesn't matter if he's comfortable dribbling the ball. I've always thought his ceiling was closer to Pierce and that his game his similar to Pierce's over Melo. In that he can knock down jumpers contested or not and he just has a lot of savvy to score the ball.

We need to know if he can do this in the NBA and stop wasting his time down there IMO.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His 20 points output in the preseason game against the Spurs looked good to me.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Dleague is a joke, no one plays defense, there is no offensive plays, it is me ball at it's worst.

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. BeechSpicer

BeechSpicer Member

The Rockets are gonna keep him in the d-league until all his confidence for playing pro-ball is gone, then they are gonna bring him back and expect him to save the whole squad. When he has 1 or 2 bad games, they are gonna send him to the last seat on the bench, as far away from the coach and checking in area as possible.

Then 2 years later, decline his option. And then all the fans will be wondering how come we never develop any stars. All we have ever developed are cheap hardworking scrappy players that can't score or create offensive shots for themselves.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually the Vipers are run like an NBA team. They use the same plays the Rockets use. This is a very unique use of the D-league. There was an article last year talking about how the Rockets fully utilize it to prepare their young players.

9. DaDakota

You know with his game, I am not sure why the Rox don't just bring him up and toss him to the wolves?

Maybe Morey is planning on trading CBud and/or Parsons, and wants Morris to get as much court time as possible before the trade deadline...

DD

10. DaDakota

Yes, that is what they say, but once you watch a game, there is no way to believe that.

DD

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They don't want to shake his confidence when things don't go his way. And Les wants to win without experimenting much..... that is the real reason why there is a tight rotation of 8 to 9

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has set himself some goals while playing in the Valley.

13. DaDakota

But he has Go/To scoring ability, and this team needs a guy that can do that......outside of Kmart...

DD

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clearly he might be TO-prone, foul prone and have defensive break downs as a rookie....... and the team wants to develop him into a solid player on both ends, risking winning or losing some games.....which is fine with me.

Veterans have to step up.... or be traded..... Scola, Martin, third year players Bud, Hill, ...and so on.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If that is the case then he's never going to be a 'great' player they want him to be.

Great players are confident no matter what. Even as rookies they come in...they fail sure...but they are still confident. If they have to send him to the NBDL to gain confidence or to worry about his confidence then he's going to be another role player at best.

Any ways they would be building false confidence. He'd go down there...dominate...then come back up and find it's not exactly the same...

I can buy that they want him to get used to playing SF, but still I think he can learn that best in the NBA. I just think when you have real prospects that you think can be 'great' players you throw them out there and see what they can do.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets vice president of Player personnel Rosas threw Lebron's name out there.

You would call Lebron James confident right? But yeah even the King has some mental lapses, in the Finals...... There can only be one Kobe
    If they say his Offensive game is near elite, I believe it.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He has all the tools be a great offensive player no doubt.

Just talking about pure skillset. He can post guys up and score, he uses his jab step very melo-like when faced up, he does have range although not sure it's 3 point range yet...but it's there to work on for sure. His first step is quicker than it looks.

I really do think he can be a great player as well.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he might have the same anger issue as Lowry. Wouldn't call him a knucklehead just now, but he had some issues while playing for the Jayhawks. Might be over competitive at times

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am extremely excited about this guy...

I love Luis/Parsons, but I am ready to watch Marcus and Patrick learn and grow out there...

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'd play Parsons but I think Bud has had his shot. Love the guy but he hasn't taken the bull by the horns. See what a Morris/Parsons combo could bring to the SF position. Why not? There isn't going to be a Rox title parade around here anytime soon.