1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YAO answered questions on net today----- but who can translate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by airforce, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Vinny

Vinny Member

Thank you guys. I appreciate the effort to translate some of this for us. :D

2. wwale

wwale Contributing Member

3. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

Dont too worry.

look this:

question: How does everyone treating you?
    Answer: very friendly. Texanare very friendly and nice, they treat me a new Texanare.

And by the way I think summer league is useful.

#23 ivan_zhang, Dec 5, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2002
  4. feishen

feishen Member

Wow, Ming is intelligent. I bet he would excel in other fields if he werent playing basketball right now. I am really impressed with his answers.

5. kaden

kaden Member

My first time posting here. I'll try to translate some. Yao was interviewed on-line. It seems
    he typed all the answers by himself.

Title: Please have faith in the kid who growed up under the red flag--Yao.

Yao: Hi everyone!

...nonsense chitchat skipped.

Question: It was your best game last night, how do you feel about it?
    Yao: I performed well. I actually performeded extrodinarily well. I cann't play every single
    game as well as that one, but I will try to play more games like that.

Question: What exactly is the feeling joining the NBA, is it really a fantasy world?
    Yao: The first time entering the field, it's a feeling of asphyxia. The air you wanted to
    breathe out was suffocated in your lung. You can rarely experience this kind of pressure.
    Host: We can imagine that, but we are very glad you got used to the NBA so quickly.

Question: How's your English? Can you communicate freely with your teammates?
    Yao: I feel ok chatting with them.
    Host: I think this gentleman was trying to say: when you are on the field, you tried to shout...
    Yao: I think everyone was playing with their feelings about basketball. Besides the coach's plan,
    the communication was accumulated throughout years of training.

Question: We are all your loyal supporters. Your achievement are the pride of all Chinese. We
    think you have surpassed your teammate Wang Zhizhi and Menke Bateer. Being where you are,
    who do you want to thank the most.
    Yao: Many people helped me. I want to thank them all.
    Host: He thinks you surpassed Wang and Bateer. How do you think of that?
    Yao: Born at the right time.

Question: What's the major difference between NBA and CBA?
    Yao: Cann't compare. In CBA, without moving, the ball can just drop in my hands.

Question: After all these games, what impressed you the most?
    Yao: What impressed me the most was not from the NBA, but the world championship and Olympic.

Host: We read some reports saying your teammates all encouraged you to dunk the ball instead of
    just laying it in.
    Yao: They think this would inspire the team. I agree with it.

Host: Tell us how tall are you exactly? Are you still growing?
    Yao: 223cm without shoes. I was 223cm in 1996.

...skipped some that were already translated by others.

Question: Can you tell us about your teammates?
    Yao: They are funny and often act like kids. I believe they will always be so even when they are 40.
    I want to be like them with a young heart forever.

Question: Many NBA player are fond of doing things unconventional, dressing up cool. Will you
    grow your hair long or grow beard?
    Yao: No, I don't like that.

Question: Do you think Rocket are going to play their strategy around you?
    Yao: Some strategies are so, but Rocket's outside are tough too.

Question: Are ordinary American nice to you?
    Yao: Very nice. Texans are very friendly and outgoing. They treat me like a new Texan.

Question: Can you tell us about the game against Wizard? Did you feel nervous or scared when
    facing Jordan.
    Yao: No. After finishing the first ball play, I felt bad, but my teammates helped me get over
    with it.

Qustion: Please keep your mind calm for your supporters back home. The outside world is
    well-rounded, but please don't get assimilated...
    Yao: Hehe... Please have faith in a kid who growed up under the red flag.

Question: The NBA bolsters power play, would you be looked down upon if you played too gentle?
    Yao: It's so everywhere.

Question: When you are excited or nervous, we often see you adjust the red string on your wrist,
    what do you do that for?
    Yao: For good luck.

Question: Francise doesn't passed the ball to you frequent enough, do you think so?
    Yao: Francise actually passes the ball around very frequently. He's an excellent point guard.

Question: We hope you play harder when you foul. We think you still play too gentle.
    Yao: Agree. To foul, foul hard, or he gets 2 points and a free throw.

Question: Can you play full court?
    Yao: No. My endurance is not there yet.

Question; Do you miss home? miss your fans back in China?
    Yao: I miss China.

Question: How much time do you practice each day?
    Yao: 3 hours.

Question: Hi Yao Ming, I live in Houston as well. My family business is selling window blind.
    Do you need window blinds for your new house.
    Yao: No thanks, we've got them.
    Host: This friend needs to act faster next time when Yao Ming moves.

6. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Everybody knows he's intelligent.
    but he never ceases to impress me with his expreesive prowess considering the lack of education he received.

7. heech

heech Contributing Member

Quick translation:

Host: A welcome to all our net-friends; thanks for participating in our "Shanghai Weekly" program. Today's program main actor is the known-to-all NBA Chinese basketball player, "little Giant" Yao Ming. His main topic today is Shanghai's strength. Yao Ming, welcome.

Yao Ming: Greetings to the host, and net-friends.

Host: Shanghai just won the right to host the 2010 World Expo; have you received this news in the US, and how do you feel about it?

Yao Ming: I knew last year Shanghai would be applying to host the Expo. I think that Beijing hosting the 2008 Olympics, followed by Shanghai hosting the 2010 World Expo... that's just an impressive thing.

Host: Today we're inviting you to talk about "Shanghai's strength". In the eyes of many people, you Yao Ming represent Shanghai and China's strength. I'd like to know how you feel about that? What do you believe Shanghai's strength is?

Yao Ming: I believe Shanghai's strength is its ability to collect the best of many different places, and then exhibit this.

ANDY1369: Yesterday was your best match; do you think so?

Yao Ming: Yesterday's performance was pretty good; I feel that in this game, I exceeded my normal level... and is not a level of achievement I can manage regularly. I will fight hard to play all of my games at this level, however.

Q: How does entering the NBA really feel? Does it feel like entering a dream world?

A. I felt like I was suffocating the first time I took the floor, as if my breath was catching in my lungs. The pressure I feel sometimes is something you can't experience.

Host: But we can imagine it. And we are also very happy that you're being comfortable with the NBA's environment so quickly.

Q: Everyone must speak English in the NBA; how's your English, and where can you communicate freely with your teammates?

Yao Ming: Normally, when we're chatting, chewing the fat ...

Host: I think the question is, when you're at a critical point in the game, can you...

Yao Ming: At this time, I think everyone relies on their basketball feeling, and other than the coaching staff's instructions, other communication just depends on the years of hard practice I've had.

Q: Hi Yao Ming; I'm your most faithful fan, from Hubei Province. Your achievements in the NBA is the pride of all Chinese, and you've already completely surprassed your former teammates Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Batere. I'd like to know who you'd most like to thank for your performance.

A. There've been a lot of people that have helped me, and they all deserve thanks. Just like you your support is something I'm also very thankful for.

Host: He believes you've already passed Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Batere; how do you feel about this?

A. (Using a saying, so approximate) I've been fortunate with timing/luck.

Q. Can you talk about the biggest difference between playing in the NBA and the CBA?

A. There's no way to compare the two. In the CBA, the ball lands on my head even if I don't move.

Q. After all these games in the NBA, what has left the biggest impression on you?

A. It wasn't really the NBA, but all of my experiences in major games like the World Basketball Championships.

Host: From some newspaper reports, we've read that your teammates wish you'd shoot the ball, and not just lightly dunk the ball. (Ed. Uh, I think he got the question backwards.)

A. They believe this pumps up the guys; I like it too.

Q. Can you tell everybody exactly how tall you are? Are you still growing?

A. 223 centimeters, without shoes. I'm not growing any more; I've been 223 centimeters since 1996 (16 year old!).

Q. A lot of us are very concerned about your translator; does he really understand basketball? (Ed. Same here; Colin Pine hasn't impressed.)

A. I believe he really likes basketball. He got to the Rockets before I did, and his primary training was learning Chinese; he's been working on it for a few months.

Q. After playing all these games, how's your physical situation?

A. Right now, my body truly is very tired.

Host: How do you recover your strength?

A. Sleep. (Ed. Ask a stupid question...)

Q. Yao Ming, your performance has vastly surpassed a lot of people's expectations; we're all amazed. How did you adjust so quickly, and get off to such a great start?

A. Actually, my biggest adjustment was just easing up on the pressure I was placing on myself. This pressure always had a bigger effect on me than any opponent.

Q. Yao Ming, currently, have you met any obstacles in America?

A. I don't know how to drive; that's the biggest obstacle.

Host: The car you drive must be a special car?

A. Maybe after a couple of years I'll buy a car; for now, I need to get my license. (Ed. Wait a second, thought he already bought a car.)

Host: With all these games, how do you find time to get your license?

A. I can always depend on connections. (Ed. Scary; adds to the reputation of the Asian drivers.) I'm supposed to go every day to work on my drivers license, but they said I can get it done in a month.

Q. Have any American players purposely gone after you on the court?

A. I never think about things like that. Sometimes if I feel that's happening, I'll turn it around and use it to my advantage.

Host: How do you take advantage?

A. Only someone who can maintain calm can play quality basketball.

Q. Yao Ming, we feel like your performance isn't too consistent yet; what's the cause of this?

A. If everyone takes a look at my performance at the beginning of my CBA career, I was the same way. I'm just repeating the same process.

Q. Which player do you believe will give you the biggest challenge?

A. Right now I'm not thinking who can offer me the biggest challenge, but rather if I can challenge others. Right now my level is still relatively low, and their level is relatively high. I should just be trying to create difficulties for them.

Host: I think you've already caused lots of difficulties for others.

Q. I think America's a really open country; have there been any aggressive girls chasing you?

A. No. Maybe it's because I'm not good lookin' enough.

Q. Do you have any confidence you'll make the All-Star Game?

A. You have to understand being an All-Star is a very high achievement, a very big target. I think the probability is pretty low this year.

Host: We think it's going to just be a matter of sooner or later.

Q. How do you feel after playing the "Twin Towers" yesterday?

A. Pretty much the same I felt after playing the Twin Towers of the Beijing CBA.

Q. Some believe that you shouldn't become a star too early, so that you have time to really develop your potential. How do you feel about this?

A. I think I usually already motivate myself enough.

Q. How will you play Shaq?

A. Last couple of days, some people online gave me suggestions... said I should step on his toe. I don't know if this is the most ideal method.

Q. I heard you grew 5 lbs. True?

A. When I got here I was 296 lbs; after 2 months, dropped down to 288 pounds. Right now, I'm 292.

Host: I didn't think your weight wouldn't be consistent either.

Q. Regarding all the different opinions in China on your former teammate Wang Zhizhi, what's your take?

A. The national team really needs him.

Host: This is the common hope of all basketball fans.

Q. Can you tell us about your relationship with your teammates?

A. These basketball players are all very interesting, sometimes they act like little kids. I think they'll be the same way when they're in their 40s; I think I need to learn from them, so that my heart will always be young.

Q. Some NBA players dress/decorate themselves extravagantly; will we see you in a few years with long hair and a big beard, wearing a headband or something?

A. I don't really like that.

Q. Do you believe the Rockets are starting to turn to a strategy of focusing on you?

A. Some plays are like this, but you have to understand our backcourt's ability is very strong.

Q. Are ordinary Americans friendly to you?

A. They're all very friendly. Texans have all been very friendly, treating me as a new Texan.

Q. Talk about your game against the Wizards; when you were facing Jordan, did you feel nervous or scared?

A. No. When the first game finished, I felt very bad. A teammate told me, forget this game because the next game is coming. (Ed. We now know this was Francis.) You don't have time thinking about things like this. Even if you do well in this game, if you dwell on it too long, you will struggle in your next game.

Q. Yao Ming, please for all the fans supporting you, keep a clear head... the outside world is very exciting, but please don't follow the wave (Ed. and pick up bad American habits of divorcing your wife, robbing banks, and disrespecting your parents.)

A. Haha... please trust this child who long grew up under the Red flag.

Q. What do you think is the biggest difference between Rudy T. and your Chinese coach?

A. He's bigger.

Q. Is it better to play in the NBA as fiercely as possible; too soft, and you'll lose respect?

A. It's the same everywhere.

Q. Do you have any contact with Wang Zhizhi and Bateer in the US?

A. Slowly I'll build more, but since I just arrived I still have a lot of things I haven't taken care of yet.

Q. Yao Ming we've noticed on TV that when you're nervous or excited, you'll play with the red bracelet on your wrist. Can you tell all of us why?

A. For good luck. (Ed. ;) )

Q. Do you hope to one day become a mega-star like Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain, and do you have confidence in this?

A. I don't know.

Q. Which NBA player or team are you looking forward to playing?

A. I wish I could play against the best player and the best team.

Q. What do you do when you're not playing ball?

A. I go online, hang out.

Q. Has the Rockets helped you with special "protecting" training; we're all afraid you'll get hurt.

A. The best protection is to keep your body health, don't let others hurt you.

Q. Yao Ming, China's currently searching for a new basketball coach... what's your hope for the new coach?

A. I hope he can use me on the team, help the country win glory.

Q. Can you talk about Barkley's opinion toward you? What's your opinion?

A. I don't think I need to talk about this any more...

Q. Did you see Barkley kiss the donkey on TNT?

A. I was pulled over by TNT to watch it; I feel like Americans really know how to do business (relations)!

Q. Are you used to the lifestyle in the US? How's the food?

A. My mother's here, and can make food for me in Houston. But the problem is that no one in my house knows how to drive, and only my translator can. So I can handle leaving for 3-4 days, but I can't handle being gone for 10 or more. (Ed. Dude, Yao, next time you're in Northern California, my mom will make you all the chicken soup and jiaozi you want! She already offered!)

Q. I feel like Francis never passes you the ball; do you feel the same way?

A. If everyone pays closer attention you'll see that Francis passes a lot, as a point guard he's already very good.

Q. At present, what's your biggest difficulty?

A. Sometimes I'm a little too shy; everyone has substitutes on the bench you can call if you're tired, but I'm too shy to call on them... don't have this habit.

Host: We really need to give you a bit of advice, in America, please don't be too polite; don't try to learn to be Lei Feng there (Ed: famous cultural revolution role model), and just watch out for your own strength.

Q. Your performance yesterday was great, but we still feel like you're missing some "craziness" (Ed: I think?)... ferocity?

A. This probably has something to do with personality.

Q. Which game are you most satisfied with?

A. I think, to this point, probably the game against the Spurs. The most important thing is I'm very satisfied with my defense.

Q. How do you think the Rockets will do with you this year?

A. I don't know. I don't really know the NBA nor its teams yet, so I can't really guess.

Q. Can you tell us if the coach has taken you aside for a private talk, telling you he hopes you can become more effective, hoping you can carry the Rockets to the post-season.

A. We're not even a quarter of the way through the season, who knows what will happen in the future. The reason we play ball is to win.

Q. Other than basketball and the internet, what else do you like to do in life?

A. Listen to music; can you hear it?

Host: I can hear it in the background; who do you listen to?

A. Tao-zhe (uh... no clue).

Host: You like R&B?

A. I don't know... feelin' a little lonely. Otherwise, I like playing video games, reading.

Q. What kind of books do you like to read?

A. I mostly like history books.

Q. How is the NBA different from what you imagined? Anything disappointing?

A. Everything about the NBA is very very fresh to me; I can't really draw any conclusions.

Q. We've noticed your FT-shooting hasn't been very good lately; does your strength training have something to do with that?

A. I don't think this makes too much of a difference. You're thinking of the game in Portland... (Ed. Don't know how to translate the rest of this.)

Q. How do you feel when dunking, blocking in front of the stars on a NBA court?

A. The game isn't over; there are still a lot of things to be done. (Is what he's thinking.)

Q. What's your wingspan?

A. It's 221 centimeters; enough for the purpose.

Q. I feel like your responses to the questions are all very witty; does this have something to do with playing video games? (Ed: Wow, try telling the American education system THAT.)

A. I don't know; I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Host: I've heard a lot of people recognize your commercial value; as far as you know, when will they let you choose commercials?

A. The truth is I'm not really attracted by commercials; I'm sure I will meet them in the future.

Q. We hope when you foul someone you'll be a little more fierce, sometimes you're still a little soft.

A. What you said is true; if I foul, I should do it completely, and not let them give a chance for the basket + foul.

Q. Do you think, based on your physical strength, you might play the entire game?

A. I don't think I could play the whole game with my current condition.

Q. In today's program, so many fans wanted to communicate with you... how do you feel about that? What do you want to tell the web-friends who're posing questions to you online?

A. One mouth isn't enough!

Q. Do you miss Shanghai, do you miss your homeland's fans?

A. I miss all of China.

Q. Can you grade your performance so far to date?

A. It's too early; I don't have reached that point yet.

Q. Some say you play better against the stronger teams than the weaker teams; why is this?

A. That sounds like something my elementary school math teacher told me; I get the hard problems right, and the easy problems wrong.

Q. Have American players made any subtle moves against you on the court that we can't see on TV?

A. Nope.

Q. What do you think is the most interesting thing you've seen in the short time you've been in the US?

A. I don't know; I've been to the US many times, and each time I learned a little more.

Q. When the Chinese team needs you, you won't refuse to come back will you?

A. As long as all of you want me to return, as long as it's not all of you not permitting me to return!

Q. Who on the team do you have the best relations with?

A. My relationship with everyone is pretty good.

Q. We feel like you've handled the media very well in the US; is this the result of Rocket training?

A. I haven't had any really special training.

Q. Talk about your family situation; you said your parents goes to watch every game live, are they satisfied with your performance?

A. My father's already returned to Shanghai, but my mom is at my side. My mother will remain with me the whole season, and no matter how tired I become, I will always have a warm/loving feeling at home.

Q. How much do you practice per day with the Rockets?

A. About 3 yours every day.

Q. I'm Shanghainese. Now that Shanghai has won the World Expo, we're all very emotional... when the World Expo is here in 2010, where do you think you will be? What will you be doing?

A. I think I will be at the opening ceremony.

Host: Do you think you'll still be playing ball then? (In 2010)

Q. I think so.

Host. There's still one more minute; is there anything you want to say to the net-friends out there?

A. I hope they can continue to support Chinese basketball, and continue to support me.

Q. Yao Ming, I also live in Houston. My family makes drapes as a business; I know you just moved, and I can make free drapes for you. (Ed. Haha, just had to throw this in there.)

A. We've already bought drapes.

Host: I hope that net-friend will move faster the next time Yao Ming moves, and I also hope that regardless of whether he builds furniture or door/windows, he gets a chance to grab the opportunity before Yao Ming starts buying!

... blah blah blah... the end.

8. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

I think maybe his parents give YaoMing great education.
    His parents are very nice.

9. holey_billy

holey_billy Member

well, there was a chinese journalist saying like this on national TV:"If Yao only stands 185cm,I guess he would go to QingHua or BeiJing U at his will." QingHua and BeiJing U , that's Harvard and Yale in china.

10. dingbuyi

dingbuyi Member

Well, there are several English versions of Yao's interview here. Anyway, I will post mine as follows. Just the first part. I am glad that I don't need to continue my translation.

Q£ºThe last game was almost your best one, what's your opinion?
    Yao: I played pretty well in that game, I think, even beyond my own level. Don't expect me to play like that every game, but I will try my best to bring more games like the past one.

Q: What's your feeling of being in NBA? Something like dream world?
    Yao: When I checked in the game for the first time, I felt myself choking, very difficult to take a breath. Sometimes you guys can't tell the pressure.

Q: Everybody speaks English in NBA. How is your English? Can you communicate freely with your teammates?
    Yao: Well, I can chat and joke with them while we are not in game.

Q: Let's put the question in this way. Can you shout something in English at your teammates in the clutch time?
    Yao: I guess at that time the players will follow their understandings of the game. Those understandings come from not only the coaches' plan, but also our daily communication during trainings for years.

Q: I think you have already surpassed Zhizhi Wang and Bateer, two of your China national teammates. Who is the first person you want to say thanks to after you have achieved such performance?
    Yao: There are lots of people who helped me and deserve my ¡°thank you¡± note. And the supports from you guys are also appreciated.

Q: He said you have already surpassed Zhizhi and Bateer. What do you think?
    Yao: It is just because I came here at the right time.

Q: What¡¯s the difference between playing in NBA and CBA (China Basketball Association)?¡¡¡¡
    Yao: It¡¯s impossible to compare NBA with CBA.¡¡While in CBA, the ball itself will drop into my hands even when I stand still there.

Q: We learned from some reports that your teammates asked you to dunk the ball instead of just shooting.
    Yao: They think dunking can inspire the spirits of the players and I like it.

Q: Please tell us your accurate height. Are you still growing tall?
    Yao: I am 223CM without shoes. No, I was already 223CM in 1996.

Q: Some of us worried about your interpreter. Does he understand the ball game?
    Yao: I think he likes hoops very much. He was in Rockets before my arrival. At that time his main task was to improve his Chinese. He spent two to three months to improve it.

Q: You have played many games during these days. How do you feel right now?
    Yao: I am very tired.

Q: How do you restore your strength?
    Yao: Sleeping.

Q: During the games, did the American players purposely create difficulties for you?¡¡¡¡
    Yao: I never keep my mind on such stuff. But if sometimes I think somebody is trying to embarrass me, I will take advantage of that.

Q: What will you do to make use of that?
    Yao: You have to keep calm to play good basketball.

Q: We think you are not playing steadily. What¡¯s the problem?
    Yao: Neither was I stable when I just began to play CBA. Now I am kind of repeating my such experience.

Q: Who is the player you think will cause biggest problem to you?
    Yao: I think for the moment it is not the question who can upset me, instead it is whether or not I can trouble someone else. I am a developing rookie and they are the best players. I should try to make trouble for them.

Q: The States is an open country. Is there any brave girl who chases after you?
    Yao: Nope. Maybe it is because I am not handsome.

Q: Do you expect yourself to be an Allstar?
    Yao: You know, Allstar is a big honor which is my long-term target. I don¡¯t think I will become an Allstar during my rookie year.

Q: Are you looking forward to the game against Shaq? What will you do with Shaq?
    Yao: Someone on the internet advised me to step on his toes, which I think is not moral.

Q: There are defferent comments on Zhizhi in China. What do you think of him?
    Yao: The Chinese Team needs him a lot.

Q: How do you get along with your teammates?
    Yao: They are interesting. Sometimes just like kids. I think they will remain the same when they are forties. Their hearts are always young. That¡¯s what I extremely want to learn from them.

11. mancarcat

mancarcat Member

i am very impressive about Yaoming's quick-mined answers to media's questions. He's been very capable of doing that, which is much better than an other Chinese player Wangzhzh who is now on the bench of LA clippers.
    This again proves that Yao will make a great success in NBA.

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

We have a winner!!! Heech the official "Colin Pine" of CC.net. :D

Yeh, Ming strike the perfect words every time. I think part of it is because of his good family background (gotta give Yao Pa and Yao Ma props), part of it is him being from Shanghai, always an open international port.

13. JLB

JLB Member

#33 JLB, Dec 5, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2002
  14. airforce

airforce Member

Thanks a lot for translating.

15. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

thanks for the translations!! This is a big part of what makes CC.net such a great place!

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Real translation:

- In the CBA I don't even have to try, and I'm able to (get the ball) dominate. -

Make you wonder how bored Yao will become with the Asian Games and CBA.
    Too easy. His CBA average will probably be 50ppg, 30rbg, and 10bpg.

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

the last time we had a loose translation of a chinese interview we ended up with this:

[​IMG]

18. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

rockHEAD,

Your site rox!

Lots of pics!

19. Miggidy Markell

LOL!! Reminds me of a classic Barkley interview! :D

20. heech

heech Contributing Member

Well, not to nit-pick.. but I am curious. How do you get that from:

.... ÔÚCBAÎÒÕ¾×Ų»¶¯ÀºÇò¶¼»áµôµ½ÎÒµÄÍ·ÉÏÀ´.

That literally reads, in the CBA, I stand still not moving and basketball would land on my head.

Ok, maybe I'm nit-picking a little.