1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] No extensions for Thabeet, T-Will, Flynn, Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 25, 2012.

?

Should we have extended:

1. Flynn

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Williams

43 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thabeet

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

46 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. None

153 vote(s)
    66.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

None of them were in the current rotation. Teams do not change rotations when the team is on a 7 game winning streak.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also add Al Jefferson to that list.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I want to keep Hasheem... for some reason I think he's going to help us, a lot in the future. (maybe in the playoffs???)

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

When pigs fly.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

By carrying the teams' bags or getting them food? You certainly do not mean he is going to help the team out on the basketball court do you?

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

No. Hasheem is a very nice expiring to have right now. That is essentially what we traded a soon to walk battier for. No way you pick up that option at that price.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But it did land him a title.

And he's well poised for next summer, should Deron and Dwight still be available.

8. leslie

leslie Member

Thanks! I have one more question. The article mentions that Rockets can go after one max contract, but if a superstar comes to Rockets, do they still have enough cap space to sign the first round pick(s)?

It seems to me that Rockets can be dramatically improved next season.
    2012-13 Roster: Lowry, Martin, Parsons, Scola, Patterson, Budinger, Morris, Lee, (Dragic or Llull), 1-2 lottery picks, Donatas Montiejunas, (Dalembert or D. Howard)

I think if the current team (Lowry, Martin, Parsons, Scola, Dalembert, Lee, Dragic, Patterson) can finish this season with a winning record, D. Howard may be interested to join us. It's a long shot, but it might work.

9. E.Recasner

E.Recasner Member

At the end of the season, we can sign two max players and have money for our picks. 28th in payroll at the end of this season.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

And MoneyBall has never won a championship.

The Redsox used a similar data approach but also spent for superstar players....

DD

12. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

We are not avoiding spending on superstars. Superstars are just signing elsewhere because they want to play with their boys.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We are however avoiding higher priced players that are considered to be underperformers elsewhere - guys that you can use to flip for better players.

Guys like Cuban gathers, or the Lakers with Kwame Brown...sometimes you have to have some big contracts on your roster and when they are expiring you can get some value out of them.

Morey had one in Tmac - and we got Hill out of that....maybe a bit of Kmart too, though that was more of a Landry for him deal.

And we got NOTHING for Yao's big expiring deal, even though it was covered by insurance, and we knew he was retiring.

So now, if we want a superstar player, we have to mix in like 5 contracts just to get in the ball park.

DD

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am with Morey on this. Never liked twill. Hill is in the mold of Swift, pass. Lee is good, but looks like he asks more than Morey thinks he is worth. What Lee is doing probably can be replaced easily with a more reasonable price.

15. leslie

leslie Member

I assume if we sign two max players, we don't have cap space for Lee, Dragic, Dalembert.

2012-13 roster:
    2 max players, Lowry, Martin, Scola, Parsons, Patterson, Morris, Bud, 1+2 lottery picks

D-Will and Howard should join our team if it is all about winning:(
    Starting 5: D-Will, Lowry, Parsons, Scola, Howard
    Bench: Martin, Patterson, Morris, Bud, lottery picks

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Time to trade for Deron and Howard.

17. King901

King901 Member

Lee isnt going anywhere. They just dont want to overpay him more than what anyone else would think he is worth. He'll sign an offer sheet and we will match.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

To all those using this opportunity to complain about any options not being exercised (besides Williams's), . . . just stop.

It should come as no surprise that any of these moves were made (or not made). None of Thabeet, Flynn or Hill were acquired as "the great lottery pick to help save the franchise."

Hill was a throw-in in the McGrady trade, in which the Rockets' primary acquisitions were Kevin Martin and the Knicks' 2012 first rounder. Even at the time, I commented that Hill was not viewed that highly by the organization and was thought to be no more than a potential backup big who may or may not pan out.

Thabeet wasn't even the primary asset acquired in the Battier trade. Realizing that 2011 free agency wasn't going to be great and that the new CBA was likely to include an amnesty clause, the Rockets took on 16 months of Thabeet's contract in order to get a future first round pick from Memphis for a guy who was walking in seven weeks. If not for Stern's meddling, Thabeet would likely have been an am esty casualty to clear room for signing of Nene. Meanwhile, the Memphis first rounder was used to move up to draft Donatas Motiejunas. You know, a guy the Rockets actively wanted.

Flynn was a very, very minor gamble as part of the Motiejunas trade. The Rockets got to dump Brad Miller's salary on Minnesota for the youngster, which saved Les some money. While the Memphis pick was given up, the Rockets both moved up 3 spots in the first round AND acquired Minnesota's 2012 second rounder.

Not one of those three was "Morey's guy". They were very small gambles, almost like lottery tickets. You don't buy one EXPECTING to win. And if (or should I say WHEN) you lose, it's not like you're crying over the $1 you spent on the ticket. You shrug your shoulders and move on.

The Terrence Williams acquisition is the only one that mildly hurts the organization, but even that move was a relatively low risk, high reward move. A future pick likely to be in the #17-19 range at best, in exchange for a top-10 talent. Not much of a gamble, if you ask me.

So, if you're complaining about the Rockets "losing" Thabeet today, then you probably just hate Daryl Morey and are looking for any opportunity to dump on him.

SMH.

2 people like this.
  19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Ever since we acquired these 09 players, posters on here have been saying that they could have their options denied at the same time and open up some nice cap space. It happens exactly like that, and some posters are surprised like they didn't expect it, or like it was a failure by Morey? I knew all along that if they didn't pan out, they would be denied and open up cap room. I am thrilled.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that TWill was worth the gamble at that time. But I think Morey should have washed his hands earlier of the fail experiment while people still believed TWill had the potential.

It should be quite clear to them that he's not going to be anything useful right after he arrived. I said it before. If a guy is NOT a learner (either unable or unwilling), he has NO potential, no matter how physically gifted he is. From the reaction he displayed, he still didn't understand why he was not wanted.