1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What truly makes you a Rocket fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm a 4th generation Houstonian...slap Houston on the label, and I'll root for it. I grew up watching Rockets games and can't imagine rooting for anyone else. The connection of team to city is what does it for me ultimately...my Oiler fanship didn't survive the team leaving my city....the same would be true of the Rockets, I'm sure.

But being a fan doesn't mean you have to like all the decisions...

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here, although you could add a couple of generations to my total. I've never understood why some people only support the team(s) when they are winning. Suffering through the losing years is part of being a fan. The winning years, when they come, and they eventually do, are then that much sweeter. I'm not shy about criticizing the team, the coaches, the organization, or individual players if I think they warrant it, and I'm not shy with the praise, either, when they do well.

Why is the question even asked? Aren't these things obvious?

1 person likes this.
  3. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'm from Houston.
    I like basketball.
    The Rockets play basketball for Houston.

I get attached to players but support the team first. I am an optimist. However, I understand the game and have an independent mind, and therefore I reserve the right to criticize players, coaches, staff, trainers, officials, other posters and anyone else who I think is being a stupid bonehead.

I will also insult your intelligence based on your grammar, punctuation and spelling, but I'll give you a pass on typos.

4. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Forgot to mention, my favorite thing in the game of basketball is a blocked shot, followed closely by a really fierce rebound. Imagine my pain over the last decade.

1 person likes this.
  5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

the fact that i remember laughing my arse off when this commercial was on air...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VOFgKUs1m48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

-Gordie Howe

When I was a kid I was the only black person at my school who gave a sh** about hockey.

-J.R. Richard

When I was a kid I was the only black person at my school who gave a sh** about baseball.

-Billy "White Shoes" Johnson

When I was a kid I was the only black person in my school who had the first name and the white shoes.

-Moses Malone

When I was a kid my imitation of Moses Malone's stutter was the only thing that made me popular. I've been a fan ever since.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dream McLandry

I've been a Rockets fan since about age 6 (1981) but really started knowing the team w/ Hakeem, Sampson, Sleepy Floyd etc. I've lived in Washington State now since 1992 (yep - moved right before the Championship years) but have always rooted for the Rockets above every other team in any other sport. I've been (mostly lurking) on clutchfans off and on for years although I used to have a different profile (threefingeredgus) before I realized I had lost all my credentials a few years ago. Its really tough living in Seattle - with no NBA team. Thank goodness for league pass so I can watch my Rockets. I have my opinions on what moves, coaching decisions, etc would be good for the team but usually don't think of myself as enough of an expert to post my opinions online.

1 person likes this.
  8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I was born into it. It's all I've ever known. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

9. spressa

spressa Member

Born and raised a Houstonian...

Loved the team since i was a little kid trying to understand how awesome winning a championship was and supporting our second championship over my favorite player at the time, penny hardaway.

I am a fan cause i'll never stop watching and loving our rockets no matter a winning or losing season

10. brosef

brosef Member

mainly because im obsessed with chuck hayes and carl landry.;)

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What makes me a fan is the fact that i have stuck with this team even before all the T-Mac and Yao turmoil.

12. acjeitherocket

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XsOsWurqyFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Because I love Houston.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what Clutch City means cause you experienced it.

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

To still be here, while we are mediocre, makes us all "true" rocket fans.

1 person likes this.
  16. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Born and raised in Houston, been a fan of all houston teams ever since i remember, even go to UH! :D GO COOGS!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because mediocrity has no effect on me.

18. Apps

Apps Member

I was born into being a Rockets fan. Some of my earliest childhood memories are when I was living in Houston and seeing the grown-ups gathered around the television cheering during the first Championship series.

I also got to go to only one Rockets game as a very young child, maybe 3 or 4, and the only the thing I remember was that the seats were courtside... I fell asleep and was apparently drooling all over the aisle!

19. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Being a fan for me goes back to the Moses Malone days but was really cemented when we drafted Ralph Sampson and then Olajuwon in successive years (Olajuwon especially, of course).

My dad has been a University of Houston season ticket holder in basketball since the mid-70s, so I got to watch Olajuwon, Drexler and all those guys from the early 80s at Hofheinz/UH. During that time, I also developed an appreciation of what Sampson's presence could potentially mean over the long haul for the Rockets.

When we were lucky enough to be able to draft Olajuwon, I felt my strongest connection to the Rockets really start to grow. Even though Olajuwon wasn't technically a local (like Drexler), his presence "felt" local because of the UH factor and watching him start to develop as a player there. The Olajuwon/Sampson twin towers concept really had me going for a couple of years, despite the fact the it didn't work out for very long...but the Olajuwon era sure did.

But that strong feeling of being connected to the Rockets from the Cougars never left me, so through good times or bad I've been fan since those times and will likely always be one.

1 person likes this.
  20. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

What Makes me a Rocket Fan? Ask the 3 holes in my Wall and my Remote Control That Question, It will be a long season for those 2.