1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Radio] Jim Rome no longer aired in "H-Town"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You mean I'll never get to hear the same lame joke beaten into the ground 20 times in a row again? Awwwwww!

2. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Totally agree. Every time I happen to tune in to Matt Thomas' show he's patently unfunny and spends most of the time making condescending comments to his producer.

He seems like that dude in school who would always try to preemptively rag on other people in an effort to avoid being made fun of or embarrassed.

Oh, and why does it seem like he's always referring to himself as a "major-market radio host"...it's pathetic. Almost like it's some weird self-affirmation or something.

Thank God I can purge the annoyance by listening to Charlie at 3pm.

3. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

When I first read this it made it seem kind of pathetic. It's like "Hey, he was famous 13 years ago!!!"

You know what else happened 13 years ago? Monica's hit "The First Night" was battling it out with Barenaked Ladies' "One Week" to top the charts along with Aerosmith's "I Don't want to Miss a Thing."

Maybe he was riding the wave of success built by Aaron Sorkin's "Sports Night."

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Rome on a mobile is more entertaining.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I was right there with you for months after he got here. I don't blame you at all. I am telling you though I find him hilarious now.

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

FTW!

I don't like national sports shows because I could care less about an interview with the Cleveland Indians' closer or the head football coach of Oregon State. Sports are all about passion, and that passion is intensely local.

On top of that, I personally found Rome's show to be moronic. It's all about his clones calling up and desperately trying to impress him. The show isn't even about sports - it's about Rome. And he's just not that interesting.

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

He's a tool. Just like ol BS Bill Simmons

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I used to listen to Rome a lot but quit because after some years the repetition of the same rhythm it became background noise instead of entertainment.

But before he goes though, I would like to 'rack him' one last time for moral consistency. After a couple of false starts when he young and was first on, he adopted a no slack attitude that applied equally to stars and knuckleheads as to an expected level of human behavior. I thank him for that. In a world of the privileged and the sycophant, common decency can get lost; but Mr. Rome stayed true to an admirable set of values.

[​IMG]

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's about freaking time.

10. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

Have a show, don't suck, or you will get run. Peace out Rome.

1 person likes this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not how it works. I was an Arbitron participant for a year up until just a few months ago. They give you a little pager looking device that you are supposed to keep on you at all times (or as much as possible) while awake. Any radio or TV show puts out some kind of inaudible signal that this meter registers and logs exactly what it is you are listening to or watching. It's really pretty easy once you get used to wearing the thing. At night you put it on a charger and its contents are uploaded over a phone line or a cellular modem to their database.

I'm proud to say I never once contributed to Jim Rome's ratings for the year I was a participant.

#31 RunninRaven, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  12. kgw

kgw Member

I'll take sports over comedy on my radio most times.

One clown down. Let's get rid of some more clowns while we're at it, and get back to sports.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I've been waiting for this for years. I hate rome and his repeated spamming of singular soundbytes. With that said, my second least favorite person on 610 is Meltser. Dude has easily the most annoying voice on the air in Houston. Secondly, I don't think there has ever been a pint where I thought he had something interesting to say. Oh well, at least i never have to listen to rome again.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I liked Jim Rome. Out of all sports shows, I'd say his show had the best callers. There was one a few weeks ago with a guy from pearland who did a rap and at the end, he ended up choking on his own spit. It was hilarious and kept getting funnier the more Rome played it.

15. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

hey, don't all shoot me but i'm a transplanted houstonion living in dfw. that being said, the big time sports station up here, 1310 the ticket, blows anything houston sports talk has out of the water. from 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. its all local, i dont know what i would do if i had to listen to some national syndicated show every day. actually, its pretty painful listening to the sports stations back home and im sad that the houston sports radio scene is what it is

... anyways, this MAD Radio show name is a blatant rip off of one of the shows on the ticket, BaD Radio, that has been on since 99. theyre even on in practically the same time slots. maybe the whole radio industry just rips each other off, but seriously they couldn't come up with a better name than that? i'm just smh because i know this will just add more fodder for the ticket guys to make fun of houston. (i dont know if any of you remember john and lance having on-air beef with the ticket calling them b****es and what not.. well the ticket had a field day with that)

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm guessing ROme will just get picked up by somebody else? Rome just got old I started listening to him in 90's eventually it just became noise with the same takes he had in 2002.

Davies/Meltzer not too sure about that pair I'd much rather see Kalu given a shot but we will see really it doesnt matter who they put in that time slot b/c Matt Thomas is so good.....

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm so glad he's gone.

Never listened to him, so that waste of space, even though it's being occupied by a couple of yahoos, it's MORE LOCAL SPORTS RADIO TO LISTEN TO!

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

several months ago, he was kicked out of the Nashville market...I knew it would be a matter of time till he no longer aired in my hometown.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

After a while, all that is fresh gets stale. Heck, there was a time when Scott Ferrell was new and cool...