1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most intelligent player on our team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Nov 24, 2002.

?

Which Rocket has a clue?

1. Glen Rice

38 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Maurice Taylor

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Yao Ming

190 vote(s)
    64.0%
  4. Steve Francis

27 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Cuttino Mobley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Juaquin Hawkins

19 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. Kenny Thomas

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Eddie Griffin

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Moochie Norris

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. jon

jon Contributing Member

Yao wasn't doing too bad. Kandi didn't have a good game tonight either. He average 15.2PPG ,10.2RPG and 40.3 MPG before tonight while he just got 10 points , 4 boards and managed to play 29 minutes.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

lol, well at least we know the poll isn't totally invalid. Noone has voted for Cuttino.

However, 4 people have voted for Moochie.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I voted Rice.

As a veteran, Glen has to have picked something up over the years.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If you watch Rice, you'll see that he knows exactly where to go on both offense and defense, and he doesn't waste energy bouncing or running around more than he needs to. He has terrific court sense. The trouble is that he lacks the stamina to constitently get where he knows he should be or do what he knows he should do once he gets there. Walt had the same problem.

Yao looks plenty shrewd to me. Give him a few more years, and he'll have that devilish knowhow that made Hakeem so good at faking David Robinson out of his jock.

5. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

Well, fans of other teams like clippers voted for him.
    :eek:

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I voted for Yao Ming. The speed at which he has picked up the NBA game is staggering. He makes great decissions when the ball is in his hands.

Yao Ming should have easily had 3 or more assists if his teamates that were cutting or moving under the basket had been expecting passes. Clearly players like Kenny Thomas and Juaquin Hawkins have got to learn that moving under the basket is more than just going through the motions when the ball is in Yao Ming's hands. He will see you and he will get the ball to you.

7. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

Now is 6. Haha. Seems people have confidence in poor Mooch

8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

It's an internet poll. Howard Stern would win if he were on the list.

9. cujo

cujo Member

You are right. I saw one bounce pass to a cutting Hawkins that was just perfect, but he didn't see it. Yao could average about 4 assists if the other plays look for his passes and make the outside shots.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I wonder if that's ever the case for other players when they pass???

11. because24

because24 Member

I voted for the Franchise. If players were where they supposed to be in the plays the Rockets drew up, then the Franchise would of had 4 turnovers only not eight. I recorded the game and just finish watching it again, and the Rockets just seem to play so much behind (save Rice) the tempo of the game. Yao had 4pts and 3to, so if TO had so much to deal with the loss don't save Yao for your fruitless bashing.

12. bben212

bben212 Member

My question is: If Ming is on the court, why we have to rush the run play so much? Running ball fast is not always very much effective if someone like Ming can post up when he holds position. In my view, rockets guards not good at setting play and meanwhile love running ball fast. It is steves's problem of running the ball so fast. He needs to chane his style, not other players. I understand why steve loves running the ball fast. It is because he can utilize his amazing quickness. However, whith Ming and other players who can post up, steve should just slow down himself for the team purpose. Plus, he even not very good as running fastbreak!

My chinese fellows in their bbs said like this: steves just wants to dominat the ball for whatever reason. He tends to run the floor coast to coast, drible to creat space for on-one-one play, dash to the rim to rebound... I am not saying he is not good at some of these aspects. He has farly good shooting pencentage, he can rebound largly thanks to his jumping ability, he can penatrhate due to his quickness. The problem is he is trying to overdo it. As a point guard, you better do what you supposed to do first, i.e. setting play and initiating ball movement. Starting from there, you can do something else if you feel able to do it. Basketball is a team sport and each player has his own role. Steve is not a very good playmaker at PG position and he tries to do something more than a PG is supposed to do. Then he disrupts the system. I am not saying he does not want to win, he has heart for sure. But if he keeps doing this way which can possiablly be labled as selfish or at least One-Man show mentality, other players just feel lost.
    I just see a competitive and fearless steve, not a smart steve. Slow down the temp if necessary so that other players will have a clue where you running to and respond to you by holding there positions! Run smart, do not run fast, steve!

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, having a great big man and running the fastbreak didn't hurt the Lakers of the 80's. They had Kareem Abdul Jabar near the end of his career, yet they were probably the best fast breaking team in history. Steve always initiates the offense, he runs the plays Rudy calls, so how is it possible that he's overdoing it. steve is a team player and i'm getting fed up with people who say otherwise. Being that you are from China, I can see how the whole everybody has their roles thing is important to you. From watching the Chinese team play, the guards were their to give Yao the ball. I havn't watched much Chinese ball, but people on this board said one of the reasons you guys couldn't get further in world competions is that Yao wasn't allowed to dominate games. Basketball is a team sport, but you have to utilize your strengths. Using your logic, Yao is a center and should only play under the basket. We all know that Yao can shoot from mid range and outside very nicely, but according to you, he shouldn't do that. Well, if we utilize that aspect of his game, we draw the other team's center out of the lane, increasing the chances of offensive rebounds and opening up the lane for the guards and other forwards to score on layups. Francis is an athletic scorer. If he is one of the best scorers on the team, why would you want him to abondon that aspect of his game? He is faster and more athletic than most starting PG's in the league, that gives him an advantage.

Anyways, this team needs to play the way it did 2 seasons ago when we won 45 games. That team started out by taking advantage of a high percentage shot, Mo T shooting an open 15 footer. This season, the most sure shot is Yao under the basket. So, at the beginning of the game, Yao should get the ball to get the offense started. With Mo last year, they would start guarding him to stop the midrange shot, opening the lane up for the guards, with Yao this year, he will surely get double teamed down low, that should open up shots for our best jump shooters, Rice, Mobley, and Taylor. Now, you can't just run the same play time and time again, this is where Francis fits in. He is the defense breaker. His ability to shoot mid range, 3pt, and take it to the hole causes defenses to break down. He can do this in between set plays to throw the defense off and then take over near the end. The best play the rockets did this year, was a simple give and go between Francis and Yao during the Dallas game I believe. Ming had his back to the basket on the left side with his man holding him tight. Francis hands the ball to him, runs by Ming while Francis' man runs into the "Great Wall" screen(Ming). Ming just hands the ball to Franchise and he gets an uncontested dunk. I just don't know why they don't run that more often and with other players like Cat and Hawkins. It could be the Rockets signature play like the pick and roll is for the Jazz. Anyways, it's simple basketball and if they played that way, we would win more. Francis would average like 22-24 pts with 7 or 8 assists, Mobley would average about 17 or 18 pts, and Ming could average 20 as well. Play to your strengths, repeat after me, play to your strengths.

#33 Oski2005, Nov 25, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  14. jlaw

jlaw Member

An epidemic in NBA...

Players skip the Basket101 class. SF, a so-called all star or elite PG could commit such horrific turnovers in the Clippers game.

I personally could not believe players making million of dollars could not make good decisions consistently in a 48-minutes game.

Very sad.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Er, this is a no-brainer, IMO.

Yao Ming. Period.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I voted for Rice, but now that I think about it, it has to be Ming. The guy is still earning the English language! And look where he's at already! He's freaking telling guys on the Rockets where THEY should be. That's pure intelligence.

On the other hand, the Rockets' guards are without a doubt the DUMBEST collection of guards (excluding Hawkins) in the entire league. If any one of them had a brain, there is no telling what the team's record could be right now. I swear their stupidity knows no bounds out there.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Funny, there are always (for the purpose of not offending people) "interesting" people out there. Moochie's got 8 votes, ha ha ha.

18. jlaw

jlaw Member

You guys probably should know Yao got out from a basketball school. He maybe knows more than the coach in some perspectives.

19. JohnP

JohnP Member

I voted for Yao Ming. He's the most intelligent. He's going to be a superstar in NBA. Believe me.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

yao ming by far. as TheFreak pointed out, the fact that he apparently knows offensive positioning better than our "backcourt veterans" is staggering.

it is just as staggering how rudy keeps giving the ball to moochie in the clutch....but that's a different poll altogether.