1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

serious question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by herbie hancock, Nov 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. herbie hancock

how do you know when you have a drinking problem. i frequently finding my self passing up chances to do stuff with friends to sit by myself and drink at home and my grades have gotten really bad and i dont even care anymore. my roomate say he kind of worried about me. do i have a problem or is it all in my head?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Who cares about drinking... What really needs to be stopped is that DAMN Deodorant that rolls up into flaky balls and burrows in your armpit hair like a tic.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Dude, maybe you need to lay off the sauce for awhile. First, unless there's a sporting event on TV, never drink alone. Personally, I haven't had a beer in almost 18 days. I've given up drinking during the month of Ramadan. It's difficult, but you'll get healthier quick.

Oh, and you better get your sh*t together in the classroom, or you can kiss any chance at phat internship goodbye. But I'm sure you already know all this. Just relax, and save the drinking for football games and keg parties.

4. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Yes to both.

You are too young to drink by yourself. If you can't stop NOW, don't be afraid to get help. Make a choice- do you want to live to be 50 or 80?

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong with driking alone as long as it doesn't get out of hand and lead to antisocial behavior. For instance, drinking a bottle of wine every now and then.

herbie hancock,
    How frequently do you drink? If often you may want to focus your efforts on the weekends. There is noting wrong with blowing off a little steam as long as it doesn't affect your life.

When your friends ask you to do something and you would rather sit at home try to make yourself go anyways. You may not feel like it the moment they ask but you will likely end up enjoying yourself. There is noting better than hanging out with your friends.
    Also try your best to take class seriously. I know it sucks but your semster is almost over.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Make your money first, then drink. If you burn all of your money, you will know what the right thing to do is. Go to school man, it's the best thing that will happen to you. I'm not saying you need straight 'A's or a "phat" intership. School amongst other things is about finding yourself and seeing your potential. You'll find out how alcohol can control your life too. If you know yourself, you won't go too far.

7. herbie hancock

its weird like monday and tuesday are my big drinking nights and after i hit the bottle i feel depressed and i know im wasting my parents money going to school i have no ambition or goals.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Don't drink alone! Never! Because that just
    makes going out or talking with your friends
    that much harder.

I mean, why would you want your friends to
    see you in "bad shape?" So, they can be
    shocked? No. So, you will avoid them.

It's a cycle. Don't do that !!!! NO NO NO!

It's better to be addicted to exercise than
    drugs. But both are bad.

Take up something. Even if it's by yourself.
    But, do something! Don't lock yourself up.

Read, listen to music (not violent music),
    run, exercise, lift weights, go fishing,
    drive your car, ride your bike.

First, fix yourself. Then, you can do out
    and have fun with your friends.

They can't make you. You have to MAKE YOU!

#8 DavidS, Nov 23, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  9. Holden

Holden Member

this sounds like me last year.
    alot of people told me i had a drinking problem.
    and to prove them wrong i would go without it for about a week..i drank pretty much every day..
    i havent had a drink in a while, but thats only because im on medication. two types of medication..
    i didnt have any ambition or goals either..and now i sort of do but not really.. i say just get plastered every night for about a year.. and then maybe.. stop ..or not... who cares..youre in college, i assume.. youve got 4 years to jack around... everyone wastes their parents money.. at least youre still alive right.. just take it easy..

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

One of my friends go into a similar rut as you and managed to work through it. Try starting something new this week to break your routine. Try going to the library after class (I know it sucks) and study the for the class you have neglited most. After a few hours of studying do something to reward yourself other than drinking (something with your friends would be best). Another thing to remeber is try not to keep alcohol aroud your place so you won't be tempted to drink it. It takes less effort to drink what you already have than to go the store and buy it.

Also if your are good friends with your roomate he can help alot. Tell him you are trying to change your habits and you want him to give you a hard time if your drink early in the week. Stay positive and drink only on the weekend (with your friends not by yourself).

Best of luck

KT

#10 Kilgore Trout, Nov 23, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Good idea!

There's nothing like a little success in your
    life.

Sometimes, all it takes is just one thing.

Goals are nice to reach. Very fulfilling.

Try to get a C-, or C+, on a test.

Just once! Start slowly. But work hard.
    Then, work for a B-. Little by little you
    can work you way up! A little success does
    wonders!

Remember, no one cares that you work
    hard. Going to the gym, getting a job, getting
    good grades in school...whatever. In the end,
    you have to do the work. Sure, you can ask for
    help. But, in the end, it's you that does the work!

But, when you see the results. Now, that's
    when others notice you! :)

"Good job, young man!" :D

P.S. Try to find something that you love
    to do...(not drinking).

Once you find it. Be good at it.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If you think you might have a problem, you probably do. Try to take control of the situation yourself and if that doesn't work seek professional help. Seeing your own weekness is a posititive sign. Good luck.

13. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

Uh, why bother?

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I had a roommate who was an alcoholic. He started quite the same way you are describing. He then realized he couldn't stop drinking. He gradually went downhill and had to drop out of school to go to an inpatient facility. Don't be that guy.

You may also be finding that you don't care about grades and that you have no ambition because alcohol is a depressant. When you abuse it over a prolonged period of time, losing ambition and not caring about the things you should care about is commonplace.

Try stopping...if you can't then you need to get some help.

15. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

The fact that you were posting your first post at 1:37 am on a friday night indicates that you need to get a social life. Unless you are married, you should be going out on friday nights. Especially if you are drinking.

The best cure for drinking, I have found, and I have been in rehab twice for drinking and for something else I won't mention, is to go to a gym. If you get really into it you will become obsessed with fitness and that is a lot healthier and productive way to take out your suppressed emotions. We all have them man, it is just how you deal with them. For example, Bill Gates put his life into building a multiBillion dollar software company.

Start buying muscle media magazine. That magazine is awesome and will help you achieve your fitness goals. Once you start taking working out seriously, you will get a good body. Once you get a good body, you will get a girlfriend. Once you get a girlfriend, you won't feel like suffocating your brain everynight to forget the fact that you don't have a girlfriend. Some people don't have the patience to start at square one - self improvement. So they get frustrated and just want instant gratification - alcohol. But the good thing about you is that you understand that you want more from life. You just have to have the patience to take things step by step and have faith that you will improve your lot in life.

Good luck man, I have been there.

See you at the gym!

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Join the army. They'll give you the goals and ambitions you crave. If you don't like it, no big deal; you can get out in a couple of years.

17. drapg

drapg Member

LeGrouper's advice is money.

I used to be the biggest lush in college, drinking every night, getting drunk 3-4 times a week...

after I graduated I really got into running again (like I did in high school) and really took my health seriously. i pretty much stopped drinking (maybe one drink every 4 months) and haven't looked back.

consider an exercise routine, it works.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice...I'm not addicted to beer, but I am addicted to something else. Now if only I won't put it off till later.