1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about the Astros now?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll try to keep this short (leaving my own diatribe out) as I'm genuinely curious about the range of emotions out there.
    So much has happened, culminating with Drayton selling us out to MLB and into the AL.
    While posting in the thread about the Astros finally cleaning house today, a profound feeling of sadness washed over me. It was a move that normally would have brought cheers, ready to rebuild...Bring in Hun! But there's not too much emotion there for me.(numbness) I knew the gradual erosion over the years (due to MLB's debasing of the game) had taken it's toll. And I've tried to wait semi patiently for Drayton to leave. But this final knife in the back by Uncle really did a number on me. I've been an Astros fan for over 40 years with plenty of memories attached....and am really torn moving forward.

Anyway, thoughts?

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it's pretty much the death of baseball as we know it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I look at it as a new start.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just, meh. Don't really care one way or the other.

1 person likes this.
  5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm more angry at baseball in general than the Astros.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think the AL move stinks, but if that's what it takes to put in place leadership that have vision and understanding of team-building, than so be it. All that truly matters is having a successful team to cheer for.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I felt myself being sad, that even the new start at GM doesn't make me happy. I felt a loss at not being able to be happy about it. The other stuff just trumps it for me at least right now.

1 person likes this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Depressed

I think it will take a while to get over the AL move.

9. kona-

kona- Member

I dont care for the AL move but I am not as upset about it as others. I really dont think Crane had an option. I think we where heading to the AL with Crane or whoever bought the team not matter what.

I am excited about a new GM coming in. Friedman and Hunsicker... Yes please.

I think once people are able to see a better product on the field they will put the move to the AL to the side. Baseball is baseball.

Glad for some real change finally.

10. msn

msn Member

They're my Astros and they always will be.

That said, I'm still pissed off at Selig and Crane. Not so much Drayton; I'm glad he got out before the Astros were mired in some sort of estate sale.

I'm looking forward to the team (hopefully) building things the right way. Crane is saying all the right things--but he's got an empty slate and everything in the world to prove.

I'll be around, following. But I freaking hate AL "baseball" and the DH. I hate the screw job Selig has given baseball in general and Houston baseball in particular.

In short, my main response to "How do you feel about the Astros now?" is "F*** you, Bud Selig."

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bud Selig has done some great things for baseball:

Wild Card
    Steroid Testing
    Instant Replay

Of Course he has done:

The tie
    Home field adv decided by the AS game
    I think the 5th playoff team is a mistake.
    ****ed over the Astros twice

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's pretty much the death of baseball as we know it.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do I feel?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dk7bWGoCBCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dk7bWGoCBCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&start=152" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm very happy.

I grew to completely hate Drayton and the disastrous owner he became after the World Series appearance.

I'm looking forward to having an owner who isn't an idiot. I know it will take a while for the Astros to be competitive, but just having a team that is on the right path is enough for me to watch the team a lot more and even buy a season package.

I know a lot of people disagree about Drayton, but that's how I feel. The Astros will be watchable again.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Ed Wade and Tal Smith gone.

Old throwback uni's possibly making a return.

Friedman or Levine as GM!

very happy so far.

If Joe Maddon ever lost his job in TB.......

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

The Rangers should be a good rival...

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

no, no, haven't you heard? the rangers have been good the last TWO years, so that means they'll always be a better run organization than the astros. ALWAYS.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

As somebody who never followed the Astros, I'm going to take this as an opportunity to start following the team from a fresh point of view. New league, new management, new players... this is a very good time for a new fan to jump on board, low learning curve.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

welcome aboard!

I'm pumped about the chance of nabbing Friedman, even if the chance is slight.

20. msn

msn Member

Bud Selig defaulted and bumbled, against his will, into steroid testing and instant replay. Were it completely up to him, we probably *still* wouldn't have it. Someone who isn't a complete and utter freaking moron would have gotten it done a damned decade sooner.

The Wild Card is nice. Too bad he fouled it up by introducing Interleague play shortly thereafter.

All in all, the man has been a scourge for baseball. I can't wait until they run his pimply, wrinkled ass out of there.