1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

UH wont make it to the title game, no one wants to see a team get raped in the national championship game which is what's gonna happen if they face Lsu or bama.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Always the most deflating moment in sports on saturdays, when they cu taway from Lee and the mascot head and the crowd going crazy.....to a staid shot of a Big 10 stadium for a noon game that interests no one.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Any predictions on the uh-Tulsa line? Could be very close

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What ranked opponent are you referring to?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ideally, the CUSA East division champ would be ranked. But that doesn't seem likely since Southern Miss pooped the bed this week against UAB. So, Tulsa and USM will be "getting votes" at least.

#365 DonnyMost, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

CBS Sports right now predicts Sugar Bowl vs Michigan

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Michigan is Big 10. That's more than likely Cincinnati. That would be a pretty easy win and it wouldn't silence the doubters. Call me crazy, but I want an SEC team! Anyone else but the Big East would be a nice consollation prize though.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm having trouble understanding your point. What about Cinci? We won't be seeing a Big East team in the BCS. The Sugar Bowl will likely become two at-large bids with no tie ins if the SEC sends two teams to the title game. So, Michigan or Michigan State is a reasonable fill-in.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

#7 in Coaches Poll

10. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

#8 in AP poll.

I think it is likely that Va Tech (to UVa or ACC title game), Oklahoma State (to OU), and Arkansas (to LSU) will fall, and that we will pass Boise with wins over a good Tulsa team and Southern Miss in the CUSA title game. I also think it is likely that Stanford will lose a game to either Notre Dame or USC in the Pac12 title game.

What I am worried about is Alabama. The only game they have left is against (a not that good) Auburn. But, it is at Auburn, and that is a huge game. You never know. That said, not just for UH's sake, but for all our sakes. Alabama does not deserve a rematch against LSU. The lost, AT HOME, to the Tigers already. War Eagle?

11. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I wouldn't say it is "likely" that Va Tech loses. OSU clearly has the upper hand over OU at this point with the game being in Stillwater and Broyles out. Both teams have had head-scratching losses but OSU is still more potent. Stanford won't be in the Pac 12 title barring a huge upset by Oregon St over Oregon. Both Stanford and Oregon have 1 loss in the conference and Oregon has the tiebreaker. It's possible Stanford loses to Notre Dame but also wouldn't say that is likely.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

UH isnt going to the championship game. 'No' chance.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not likely, but IF it did happen, I don't believe they would be destroyed. UH has tremendous team speed and their defense is improving. I think they are better than people think. If they beat Tulsa (who should be in the top 25) and S. Miss. (who was for most of the season) then they have an argument for consideration, regardless of schedule because undefeated is undefeated. Especially, when you beat most opponents by 30-50 points. At least they would then deserve a shot at a BCS team.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Last time we played LSU, we beat them.

[​IMG]

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Is USC even eligible to play in the PAC12 championship game? The chance that all teams in front of UH pull a united fail the next couple of weeks is so tiny, but that would sure be interesting to watch.

16. surrender

surrender Member

Post taken from the Something Awful forums

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, USC not eligible. Houston would need another week(or two) like this past weekend to even have a chance of a championship appearance.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'd like to see this just because ESPN hypes up Robinson and I think he's a scrub. I'd like people to get the chance to see how much more accurate Keenum is on national tv.

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

UH #8 in the BCS

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

#8 in the BCS. Still behind Boise, grr. Just annoying.

I just heard an exchange similar to this...

Herbstreit: "Who has Virginia Tech beaten? Arkansas State, ECU?"

Craig James: "Virginia Tech can't help the fact that their opponents haven't been good, they just beat who is in front of them."

Uhh... hello? Then why the hell do you constantly rag on Houston for being stuck in a crap conference with nobody willing to play them OOC?