1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Occupy Wallstreet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You know Goldwater was sorta nuts right? In fact the1964 election, I was 11, was when it hit me that wingers, including my dad were wrong. Now, I cut them some slack because they fought WWII, they had every right to be violently paranoid, xenophobic and jingoistic but, they didn't have a right to be racist.

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Just curious....
    Would you take a pay cut in order to have facebook access? How much?

I would say it's more the mental maturity of the workforce that demands whether strict controls need to be observed....and motivation too. If you motivate the right people in the right direction, they won't be screwing off.

Personally, I wouldn't take a pay cut for social media, but if the boot on my neck gets too heavy, I'm outta there. The weight of that boot is proportional to how hungry I am and how the job market is.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

OWS has had thousands of people arrested so far and that's with local government allowing them to break the law. That's not a fringe. Tea Party has had around 10-20 in almost 3 years. Equating the two is dishonest.

yes

#1323 tallanvor, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. tallanvor

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Police are at it again at UC Berkeley.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buovLQ9qyWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How come the videos of police brutality are constantly becoming more and more damning, but I have yet to see a good video of protesters committing violence like this?

6. redao

redao Member

with >1500 arrests, few violence videos showing up on youtube other hundreds of violence by cops........

intriguing.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Indeed... sounds nice in theory.... but our secretaries were spending hours a day on social media. We blocked facebook and myspace and productivity went way up. It isn't fair to those of us that use good judgment... but I have to say, it was being abused.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know you are ranting, but the teachers unions seem to have thwarted innovation in education. Do you think they have promoted innovation in education? I can only see evidence to the contrary.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Awesome for your wife. This one girl I dated works as a caretaker for her brother, who was in Special Ed, and mother, who has an autoimmune disease. She has been wanting to become a Special Ed teacher, but she is too tied down to her family. It takes an amazing person to do that work.

And not referencing anything, just curious how you felt about them.

The wife of one of my good liberal friends is a teacher and he can't stand the teacher's union for many reasons. The main one being how it does not recognize great teachers with significant pay hikes and how poor teachers can hang around for years and years. Granted, great teachers will always be great, but it would be much better if these teachers were adequately compensated for their development of society. Anyhow, it seems as if the lack of flexibility from the teachers unions has promoted only throwing money at problems in our educational system rather than fixing problems.

I mean in AISD we spend a little over $8100/student. That's almost $50/day per student. HISD is around $8000/student and DISD is around $11000/student. I dunno...it all just seems like another manifestation of America's problems. Too much money that we are too wasteful and too complacent with. I'm not just talking about government with that statement either.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I agree unions are a problem in their structure but they get a disproportionate amount of criticism. Most failing schools simply have poor administrators. I've worked with several failing schools and there are some pretty common trends. They tend to have little or no curriculum development or support. Teachers are forced to develop their own work from scratch. The administrators are very focused on keeping their own jobs which means accountability always gets passed down the totem pole. As a result they have a very high attrition rate for newer teachers.

I see tons of fresh teachers who want to make a difference who immediately get disillusioned by an administration that doesn't have their interests at heart. And it only encourages teachers to avoid poor schools at all costs. The administrator to teacher ratio gets more and more ridiculous as you look at poor schools. In some schools there is literally a 1 to 1 ratio between teachers and administrators.

Teachers unions rightly deserve criticism. But failing administrators deserve a lot more.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have definitely been an agent for innovation in education as far as the chapter of the teacher's union I'm in. I don't know about every chapter everywhere.

But with their idea to put in standards that teachers must abide by just like students have to learn standards as well, it's helped bring teachers up to date with their methods, and explore new ways to incorporate them.

They also have been huge in trying to get more professional development for teachers which is where the innovation happens on the ground level.

The personal experience I know of is that we had a reading program for years, and it was effective in some places and not so effective in others. Once we had the money to do lesson study on research based teaching methods, and really go through the program and analyze how it addressed the standards, and ways to incorporate the research based teaching methods it wasn't near as effective. The money that allowed us those professional developments made huge differences.

I teach at a title I school where 100% of our students are below the poverty line and qualify for free or reduced lunch. They come in very far behind, but with the right staff and professional developments we've turned it around. Our school is now above the state mandated level of proficiency, our principal was principal of the year in California and just this past Saturday the LA Times did an article about our school.

The teachers and administration working hard did that, but it wouldn't have been possible without the push by the union on professional development.

In a more indirect positive effect the union has had... Most people wouldn't be a teacher without the union making it livable as far as benefits and salary. So every hard working teacher, and innovative mind is there in part because of the union.

That being said the union is a very open and wide thing with a wide variety of inputs and results. Some of them are definitely bad. I know other schools where the chapter chair uses the union to thwart innovation, and in any union meeting high schools and middle schools will have different needs than elementary schools, and so will sometimes implement measures that are good at one level and bad at another level.

The union can be both good and bad in different areas. But overall I believe it's good, and the local chapter of the union, and district union I work with is definitely good. It's saved thousands and thousands of jobs by finding wasted money, and pointing out wasted expenses at the upper levels of education systems. These were teachers that had already been laid off, but were able to be re-hired because of the union. With thousands and thousands of teachers having jobs just in LA alone because of the unions, it would be hard for me to say they are a bad thing.

12. Dubious

I am prouder than daddy with twins of the Wisconsin Teachers Union.

13. tallanvor

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/11/09/occupy-oakland-protesters-deposit-funds-at-wells-fargo-after-bank-attacks/

haha

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

not to mention the video that tallanvor posted that showed a car run over two protesters and then get let off by the cops.

While I was shocked that tallanvor posted the video it was awful, and definitely showed what the savages and thugs against the protest are capable of.

props to tallanvor for posting it.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This whole movement has gone right over your head hasn't it?

16. tallanvor

Go stand in a street until you get hit by a car. Then, try suing the guy who hit you. Tell me how it goes. Lawyers will laugh in your face. There is a reason the cops let the guy off. He did nothing wrong. If you stand in a street and get hit by a car, you are not a victim. This is really basic common sense.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You know nothing about right of way apparently. Pedestrians always have right of way, and a lawyer presented with a case where pedestrians were visible, and the car knew they were there but ran over them not by accident but deliberately would love the case.

Your whole idea of what a thug is and who a savage is, seems to be warped. If it's OK to deliberately run people over, instead of turning around and finding another route, then you are the savage.

Your lack of morals, and lack of even the most basic knowledge of laws, and right away are amazing to witness. Keep exposing who really are. It's great for people to get a glimpse of it.

18. tallanvor

Deliberately? link? SO some guy deliberately ran over some people then stopped to talk to the cops about it? RLY?!?! Apparently I know nothing about the law, but the cops sure seem to agree with me. Could it be your nuts?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uvaTLs3XYZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If your so confident then go do push-ups on I-10 and get hit. you can even scream at the top of your lungs 'I had right-of-way'. See who gets blamed

#1338 tallanvor, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not as amazing as watching you get trolled time and time again.

20. Dubious

Yup, time to put Tanallover in 'Basso non-repsonse' mode.