1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Should I" Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Lil Pun, Sep 2, 2009.

1. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

Should i accept this trade?

Trade D-Mac from oakland to get Mendenhall and James jones...

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Depends on if you think he comes back or not. Mendy has the better schedule, and the rest from earlier in the season to finish strong, but he's no McFadden. As of now, Oakland is still a contender for AFC West champion, and they may rush him back if they feel they have a shot. But they still have the NFC North in their schedule, not so easy to run on.

3. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

True that. ben has been throwing a lot as of late. thats the only thing that scares me.

4. what

what Member

What worries me about Roy Helu is that he really didn't have a breakaway run for a td. I think that the perception might be that all Helu really is is a change of pace back and that Torrain is seen as a back that can run between the tackles.

I also think that Shanahan might want to slow down the game since he can't score at will and rely on his defense, in which case, Torrain will get the bulk of the runs.

I am hoping that I am wrong, but I am not fooled by 14 catches for 100 yards/ 10 rushes for 40 yards and thinking that Shanahan thought that was good production for 24 plays of offense.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Helu is probably the best back in that group, but that means nothing because of the coach. Shanahan might like Tashard Choice's outfit and give him the starter's spot for the week. Torrain is the toughest, and he already knows how to run inside, but he always has an injury coming around the corner.

Like you said 14 catches is ridiculous, Beck shouldn't be dumping off that many times a game, and I wouldn't be surprised if Grossman gets another shot under center.

6. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Fixed.

7. what

what Member

With all the flack that Shanahan gets about this, he was pretty consistent this year in what he has done.

Hightower was never in jeopardy of losing his job. He only got less carries when he was physically injured.

Ryan Torain was given 4 weeks, but never did much since his breakout game.

So Helu got the start.

It really remains to be seen if Helu will keep the starting job, but I am not THAT worried about Shanahan. He has been pretty predictable.

8. what

what Member

I feel like I have some interesting choices this week. Bad part about it, I am playing arguably the best team in my league. I am trying very hard not to get too cute; however, I don't want to sleep on a potential fantasy stud, either.

Position Battles:

Alex Smith (nyg) vs. Josh Freeman (hou).

Have to pick 1 Receiver, 1 Running Back and 1 Flex (either position):
    Helu (@mia)
    Stewart (ten)
    Mathews (oak) Seriously worried about his carries and value with injury and Tolbert
    Denarius Moore (@sd) Should I be sold?
    Brandon Gibson [salas gone for the year](@clev)
    David Nelson (@dal)
    Jeremy Kerley (ne)

My inclination is:

Helu
    David Nelson
    Mathews

But I'd like to squeeze Moore in, and maybe I should think about starting Stewart. I like Stewart a lot. Should I go: Helu, Moore, Mathews?

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Freeman
    Mathews
    Stewart
    Nelson

Mathews is an easy choice as long as he is relatively healthy. I like Stewart as well. I thought before the season that he was the better back to own in Carolina, and last week the coaches finally agreed as he received the bulk of the carries. Denarius Moore has fooled us before. And lets not forget, that despite 12 targets, he only caught 4 passes last week. And I can't comprehend how DHB could only play a handful of snaps last week, after being the top target all year, and finally performing. It is too muddled for my taste.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

2 QBs and 3 RBs with Choice rearing in his head beg to differ, unless you mean consistently inconsistent. Look at the play by play of his last win, against the Rams. He started with Tim, gave a series to Helu, then went Helu/Torrain until all Torrain in the 4th.

No RB except Hightower has exceeded 10 carries a game, which doesn't make sense when the QB play has been as erratic as it's been.. I don't know what 4 weeks you're referring to that were given to Torrain, because he's only even played in 5, and started in 2, and averaged 8 carries a game in those 5 games.

The news that Helu was going to start was only made an hour before kickoff. If you look at consistency ratings, he hasn't stuck with a back consistently since 2005-6. He deserves all the flack that he's getting, his model of building a team has come up way short, and worst of all, he's made it a hell of a lot harder for Kyle to find work once they're canned.

11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Quick question, I am 4-5 and need some wins to make the playoffs in my league. The top team in the league offered me this deal... take it or leave it?

I would receive:
    Roddy White & Mike Tolbert

I would send:
    Andre Johnson & Daniel Thomas

Standard yahoo format. Here's my team if it helps at all:

QB: Cam Newton
    WR: Calvin Johnson
    WR: DeSean Jackson
    WR: Michael Crabtree
    RB: Steven Jackson
    RB: Rashard Mendenhall
    TE: Greg Olsen

Bench: Eli Manning, Andre Johnson, Nate Washington, Daniel Thomas, Felix Jones, Jake Ballard.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wonder if you could do better. You are giving up the better pieces, unless Ryan Mathews remains injured.

As an AJ owner, I fully understand you dealing him. He will probably miss one more week, then have the bye, and you can't afford to wait on him because you need to win now to make the playoffs.

13. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Mike Tolbert will never start for your team as long as your two starters are healthy, and Andre Johnson is clearly a better fantasy WR than Roddy White is from this point forward, based on the fact that Julio Jones is now stealing White's targets. I wouldn't take the deal.

1 person likes this.
  14. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Thanks juicystream... it is frustrating waiting on the injury when I need wins now.

(I can't give you rep because it says I need to spread it around first)

Roddy White seems like a top 5 WR, which is pretty fair and I'd take Tolbert over Thomas because of Thomas' injuries this season... but a healthy AJ is ideal. I'm just having a hard time deciding whether a full season with Roddy is better. They both have pretty good matchups the rest of the season - with Roddy perhaps having even easier ones.

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Thanks. Mendenhall has a bye week in Week 11 and my only other options right now are Daniel Thomas and Felix Jones who are both on the mend from injuries. So that has me a bit concerned and I'm thinking Tolbert at least has the Red Zone carries for that week... though SD plays Chicago so it's not a great matchup for an RB.

16. what

what Member

What I am saying is that Tim was going to be the back that he stuck with the whole season, if injury had not derailed that plan.

I am also saying that Torian was given the most carries when Shanahan was starting him.

I can agree that you never know HOW involved a rb will be in Shanahan's game plan, from game to game, ie number of carries.

But I thought that all of the hubbub was over shanahan being inconsistent on which running back got the most carries from week to week, and making a move to a different back after another back had a good game, and making the decision on a whim to change backs. IF, this is what you mean, I can't agree, because Hightower got the bulk of the carries every game he was healthy.

17. what

what Member

I see no reason to do this deal. Andre has far more upside than Roddy White and I like Daniel Thomas more than Tolbert.

If you were desperate , I might consider a deal. But you aren't. I like Crabtree, Johnson & Johnson.

If you were going to deal, I might offer Mendenhall and djack and see if you could nab Demarco Murray.

I'm serious. I'd give up both for him.

1 person likes this.
  18. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Thanks guys... it's a tough offer to pass up. But I appreciate the advice and I've declined it.

19. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

So Im stuck on which QBs to start for 2 of my leagues.

League 1....Big Ben @CIN or Matt Cassel vs DEN?
    League 2....Eli Manning @SF or Phillip Rivers vs OAK?

20. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

I dont think he will do much this week though @CIN Im starting Green Bay's James Jones over him