1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone know how I can get an internship with the Rockets or volunteer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreHNIC, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I get what you're saying, but the topic asked how to get a spot as a volunteer... so obviously he's one of those people looking to work for "peanuts or free."

2. ch44

ch44 Member

Worst advice ever. Get in to a field you are interested in and enjoy your job. I love my sports job.

3. DreHNIC

DreHNIC Member

Lol some of y'all are HILARIOUS!!!! Thanks to those who tried to help....I do realize the lockout has to end first, but for them to recently post that listing on the website during the lockout gave me hope that it was almost coming to an end....clearly not! Haha but yeah ill just stay on it and yes I would for peanuts! But not forever lol only for the experience!

As for bigtexxx yes totally worst advice ever! That's like telling someone who loves music , someone who loves acting not to be an actor and other occupations the same way....you tried but failed! Sorry lol

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well, I can speak from experience, so you can choose to accept or reject my advice. Doesn't bother me a bit either way what you decide.

I'm not saying don't do something you love, just be careful with sports jobs.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Scoreboard

6. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Bigtexxx is correct. I personally know Jeffrey Ma (the MIT guy who took Vegas for millions) and he couldn't even get an unpaid internship with the Celtics AFTER he worked for several financial firms and prop shops. He had the connections, the fame and experience.

If you want to work in sports, work somewhere else before (banking, consulting, engineering, tech), make some connections, and then switch over. If you go straight from a school that's not Ivy League or Duke or Stanford, good luck cracking 50k after 5 years of work and 80 hour weeks.

7. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

That Intern position post is funny, did you notice the error?

"Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. I have experience working with video equipment & editing software.

2. I have a flexible schedule."