1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Occupy Wallstreet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats, you are now a liberal.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#722 Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. Fatty FatBastard

Do I truly need to post hippies ****ting on cop cars or are you just that myopic?

Crazies attend anything political. Honestly, I find anyone leaving work to go to any rally moronic. But that is me.

What do you fail to understand?

4. Fatty FatBastard

Let me finish that last thought by stating that until the 99% ers start looking realistically at the real problem, and less on blaming the opposite side; only then are we going to figure out how to fix this.

Think about this: The worse the economy has become, the more polarizing we have become. This is not about Republicans vs. Democrats.

This is about corruption in DC needing to be stopped. And corporations having accountability for their actions.

I just saw a kid here get a 45 year sentence in jail for a scheme he was privy to, but not by any means, the leader. Yet we have guys at B of A still getting 11 million bonuses for retiring, on our dollar. And then there is the fun fact that BofA just was able to guarantee loans to Europe by our tax money; and they were able to do so without congressional approval.

This is no longer hippies vs. racists. This is about US citizens vs. a corrupt Government that has fleeced over and over again and again.

Simplest option? Term limits on all of Congress and SCJ. All lobbyists are fired and imprisoned (sequestered) for life.

5. Carl Herrera

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ate-exposes-the-myth-of-the-tea-party/244987/

Been over this before: Research shows that Tea Party = Same Old Republican Base.

Tea Party House of Reps busy defending DOMA and passing abortion bills.

Tea Party and OWS do not "overlap" because of Tea Party would not agree to call a cease-fire on the "culture war" to cooperate on the economic issues. In fact, to the extent that the Tea Party cares about economic issues, they treat economic issues as another front for the "culture war" (i.e. 53% of "us hard working white folks" vs. the 47% lazy asses who should blame themselves)

#725 Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The big difference between too much power for the government vs too mucn power for the corporations that libertarian/conservatives trust so completely childishly is that there is the possibility to control the government democratically and we have such uniting principles as the Constitution and Bill of Rights with respect to this control. Corporations are essentially antithetical to democracy and at best operate on the basis of the more money (shares)you have, the more power you have in the corporation, or to extend the concept further, your influence on rule by the market economy is simply how money do you have to demand with. Corporate power and the market as god and the only governing mechanism is intrinsically anti-democratic.

2 people like this.
  7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Worth repeating. Good post glynch.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We vote on corporations with how we spend our money, no?

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Exactly. And the top 1% have 40% of the money and therefore essentially all of the controlling votes.

Occupy Wall Street. The mighty 99 can prevail politically and reign in Wall Street and the corporations and take back control of our democracy from them. Don't fight it. Even if there is a member of the 1% posting (doubtful, but I suppose there might be one or two) you wil have more than enough money and a very good life. Clearly virtually all below 90% will have a better deal. Those of us in the approximately 90% odd percentile,will do fine also.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Nope. McDonald's has you in slavery, forcing you to eat their crappy food.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I know you're kidding but try going the entire day, in this country, at least, without consuming anything that was directly or indirectly produced by Monsanto or ADM - unless you live on some hippy loser organic clown farm, you'll be pretty hungry.

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

True -- One of the nicest things about not living in the US is not having to eat hydrogenated fat or corn syrup in everything I consume, something that's tough to do in the US unless you eat a strict vegan diet. I read recently even Blue Bell ice cream stopped using sugar :(

Government subsidies for corn are a boon only to right-wing politicians who want to avoid trade with certain sugar-cane producing Latin American nations and the food corporations that get to save money from taxpayer-subsidized sweetner.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The funny thing is that I do most days (for my health, not for any political point). I generally try to avoid eating grains, and have been attempting to mostly eat grass-fed meats (although I'm not sure if that's worth the extra price). I still drink plenty of grains, and I'm sure many of them come from Monsanto or ADM, but I'd bet that most of the money they get from me comes from gas pump (and my taxes subsidizing that).

14. Hightop

Hightop Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/za2Paxbn_1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"I'll tell you a secret. I got some money and I should be taxed more."

That's what an Occupy Wall Street protester told Republican presidential candidate and former two-term Gov. Gary Johnson (R-N.M.) as he toured Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on the evening of Tuesday, October 18.

"I actually inherited money when George W. Bush decided to have no estate tax," the protester continues, "and I think that is totally outrageous. So I decided to keep 20 percent for myself and give 80 percent away. But I think if we rely on the kindness of strangers that the poor will keep getting screwed, so civil libertarians don't work for me for the poor."

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

It's capitalism because we allowed the banks to be deregulated and play with nice little toys, and then allowed them to grow too big. This whole problem could be rectified by regulating the shadow bank system like the depository system, which buoyed the system and made it survive 2008, and by making sure that complex financial products are well-regulated to prevent moral hazard, and counter-party risk. If private subprime mortgages driven by pure profit did not explode post 2001, then underwriting standards guaranteed by GSEs and the CRA would not have been diluted, and we would not have fallen down the rabbit hole of exploding interest rate subprimes and complex products being marketed to average people.

I hope that gives a bit of insight into why people who think somehow the government was the bad boy in 2008 are completely deluded. We need stronger government not as subject to corporate capture, and a heavy penalty of regulation associated with the bailouts so they are not as readily associated with the big banks.

16. Northside Storm

I love it.

Moral hazard on the basis of the big banks! A banking system with crazy unrealistic leverage ratios! A sure-fire correlation between conservative regulated banking and not having your country fall apart (see: Iceland, Ireland, USA! vs. Germany, Canada)

---Term limits on the SCJ!

:confused:

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Term limits are a nice populist bullet point but don't make much sense.

If anything, I think LONGER terms of office would be better for the country where less emphasis is on elections (and bribes...I mean funding for those elections) and more on good governance.

Most incumbents win anyway. At least make them work at the job they were hired to do rather than spend half their term worrying about keeping their jobs.

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

19. Carl Herrera

Tea Party members are too old to cause seriouis troubles. You carry one of them like you do the guy in the other picture, it's broken bones and hip replacement.

20. Northside Storm

seriously, let's get more people with corporate funding and short-term horizons elected, that'll uncorrupt the government real fast!

people realize the guys laying heavy on Wall Street are the old farts who just don't give a s*** and can't be bribed anymore right?

Carl Levin, for example, could probably take a deuce on the middle of Wall Street and still be re-elected. he just does not give a s*** anymore, which is why you can see him slashing away at Goldman.

But really, what America needs is a bunch of impressionable new-comers scrambling for their short electoral lives for as much corporate cash as possible, and who are put in a position where they cannot challenge anyone.