1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Don't forget the 20 INTs.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

At least Garrard went through a training camp this year. Dude is probably still in playing shape.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Playing shape?

Dude is having surgery for a herniated disc and done for the year.

Gimme dough boy over a cripple.

4. baller4life315

Ah, I just saw that now.

Well, my bad.

Still think the trade's a laugher, though. But at least knowing this I can't say "They passed on a perfectly capable FA option" before they paid an arm and a leg for Vanilla Ice.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What is the deal with this nickname? It doesn't even make sense.

Captain Red Beard or something might be more fitting.

Did Palmer moonlight as a rapper, or something else I'm not aware of?

6. baller4life315

It's a nickname I've had for him for years.

He's the football equivalent of a one-hit-wonder. For all the praise he's gotten over the years as being either elite or just a notch below elite, he has one year to show for it. One year where he was awesome and his team was good too.

Outside of that it's been a mediocre mix of dwindling arm strength, poor accuracy, 20 INT seasons, being all over the place and posting a 50-something passer rating (and getting outplayed by a rookie) once he made it back to the playoffs.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

And I thought this was hilarious:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7075859/david-garrard-bristles-dolphins-wants-chance

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7114405/qb-needy-oakland-raiders-contact-david-garrard-source-says

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

2005: 2nd in QBR
    2006: 6th
    2007: 14th
    2008: N/A
    2009: 16th
    2010: 19th

So yeah, 2 good seasons, 3 bad ones. Not that anybody would confuse the 2008 and beyond Bengals for a good team, though.

And that whole "outplayed by a rookie" thing is kind of bunk since we all know the 2009 Jets made a LOT of good QBs look like total crap. In fact, the average QBR against that defense was a historically low 58.8. To put that in perspective, that's the best pass defense in over a decade, and certainly the best one of the modern passing era (now that we've got all these QB/WR friendly rules, things have opened up a ton). A few of the QBs that the Jets curb stomped that year... Tom Brady (53.1), Drew Brees (78.9), Peyton Manning (192 yards, 0 tds), Matt Schaub (55.9), Matt Ryan (69.7).

Sorry man, but I find your criticism to be pretty hollow. If the Raiders are an even halfway decent team (which they appear to be), Palmer ought to be able to out perform Jason Campbell and get the Raiders a division title or two.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You're unusually off your game in this thread, spouting off a lot of falsehoods. I can't tell if your opinion on Palmer is really that off based, or if you just generally buy into the ESPN nonsense against the Raiders.

As I've tried to tell you armchairs all along, ESPN wanted Al Davis to look like the biggest fool all the time because of the way he treated their reporters. They took it personally, even though Al pretty much hated all reporters.

2005-06 thats when Al got desperate at the team was a laughingstock, DeAngelo Hell, Javon Walker debacles, drafting Robert Gallery and Jamarcus Russell at the top of drafts, hiring Art Shell who promptly hired his ex-offensive coordinator who had been out of football for 15 years.

That Al Davis had every right to be made fun of, but to ignore what else has gone on since is a brutal mistake being made right now.

Don't give me that "Raiders can't draft" BS, yeah we took a couple pieces of **** in the first round but besides that they've drafted better than New England easily over the past 5-6 years.

Keep thinking Oakland isn't going to the playoffs.

10. baller4life315

No offense taken. I know what I've seen.

And you can make excuses for him all you want. I know that 2009 Jets defense was good but the fact of the matter is it's the postseason and you simply have to step up your game. One of the criticisms of Palmer is that he can't do that. That he doesn't have that extra gear.

For a guy that's received as much praise over the years (due to winning the Heisman, the USC pedigree, big name, huge talent, etc), he has next to nothing to show for it. Hence the nickname from a snickering Steelers fan.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that (at least in theory) he should make Oakland much more dangerous. Even with his dwindling arm and decision making issues, he's still worlds better than Jason Campbell. I just don't think he's worth the price and he's clearly a guy that I don't trust with the game on the line. But hey, we'll see what happens.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Not being sarcastic Moes, but I dont think they have drafted better , they've just drafted higher the past 5-6 years.... higher draft picks dont necessarily mean better ... ask Detroit during Matt Millen era

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Lol k.

You are throwing **** all over the place again. Keep throwing roses at a player who hasn't proven himself in a few years. Carson is a fat cow now.

You are just embarrassing this season, is this what happens when the Raiders get a little daylight? Lulz.

Andre Reed..... but I'm hoping you were drunk or something.

13. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Look out everybody , i think the Chargers should just quit while they are 4-1 and give up the spot to the Raiders.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

They've beaten the Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs, and Vikings.

That's a win resume that is even lamer than the Texans.

They still have to play the Jets, Packers, Ravens, Bears, Bills, and Lions.

That is a hell of a lot harder road than the Raiders have. The best teams left on their schedule are the Bears, Packers, and Lions. Plenty of cream puffs left for them. Based on the schedule alone, the Raiders should take that division if Palmer can play as well as Campbell. I have no faith in the Chargers to get it done.

15. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Do you want to place a wager my friend if you are so low on the Chargers and high on the Raiders . 50 $ im down.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I already told you I don't give enough of a s**t, ask moes.

17. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Alrite man take it easy , i guess Raiders have become the fav just cuz they got Palmer . I didn't know Palmer was the next coming of P.Manning.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's not the point. All he has to be is the next coming of Jason Campbell. I'd say that bar is low enough for most people to step over, even a fatty like Carson.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gates is finished, you can't run the ball and you've had a cakewalk of a schedule that is now about to thrash your ass.

Raiders 10-6
    Chargers 9-7

HOW SWEET IT IS!

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member