1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Occupy Wallstreet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And he's still going to be re-elected

imagine that

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's the way to deal with the facts, yawn them away. We'll see how that works out for the bat**** crazy conservatives trying to go back to the good ole 1800's.

4. SeabrookMiglla

wow thats a really good post. maybe he had a substantial criminal back ground, regardless he actually turned himself in and could have taken more but he didnt.

corporate fat cats dont get **** when they steal billions, but those who are hungry and cant afford a meal get 15 yrs when they steal because there starving.

oh yeah, that bum didnt work hard...

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

NY Mag Quizes OWSers

My favorite:

[​IMG]

How about the fact that only 10% know how much the top 1% gets taxed. How can they complain about how much the rich get taxed when they don't know how much the rich get taxed?

Idiots

#645 tallanvor, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

What, one is one isolated instance of violence and is perpetrated by a homeless man, the other (in this case referring to drug laundering) leads to thousands of acts of violence through allowing drug cartels carte blanche? I believe the proper term here is "stimulating murder", is it not worth your attention if it's private corporations doing it rather than Holder's idiotic gang? Hypocrite.

How is stealing millions of dollars in fraud somehow more morally right than a homeless man stealing a few dollars? Justify that to me. Is it because it's "cleaner"---the old grannies are losing a lot more, but in a safe, clinical setting with bank statements instead of guns?

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This one.... this one just boogles my mind. How can that even be possible?

8. Northside Storm

Random samples of people selected on a purely unscientific basis, with potential bias lurking all over the place, are ignorant. It wouldn't be the first time (even scientific studies with proper samples seem to imply that).

[​IMG]

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Well the banks were not breaking any laws. Though I remember reading about someone holding up a bank for $1, he got released within a couple days. He was white.

10. Northside Storm

Actually, the banks were breaking laws.

Just that the penalties happened to be fines that the banks recouped within a few days.

The banks broke laws. They were caught red-handed funneling drug money to violent psychos, and defrauding old grannies from their pensions with securitized crap.

Just no one saw fit to jail the executives. Hooray fair justice system!

Because a hobo stealing $100 really warrants the heavy hand of 15 year jail sentences, but mass fraud and blatant disregard for the laws in other cases---well, as long as you earn $280 million for nothing, and wear a nice suit, you're safe!

11. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Your moral compass is broken.

12. Northside Storm

I think yours is, if you think just because white-collar crime is somehow "cleaner" than "blue-collar" crime.

Who is worse?

The man who stole pensions from grannies, and who was rich to begin with?

Or the homeless man who stole $100 because he was starving?

I'm actually interested---

What is your response to this?

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you sir are fu*K*d in the head

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The way sentencing for federal crimes works is based on tables and calculations, not whether it seems like common sense to sentence someone for X years for only stealing Y. The base sentencing level for Robbery is 20, +2 for it being a bank, +2 for pretending he had a gun, -3 for admission of guilt and cooperating. You would need at least a level 29 crime to get 180 months (15 years), and that is with the highest criminal history score. There must have been other factors in aggravation (and possibly he stopped cooperating). Anyway, just a little insight into federal sentencing.

Link to 2010 guidelines manual.

15. Northside Storm

All well and good, but if you think the system is working when it produces such flawed results, well maybe there needs to be a new system.

16. gwayneco

1. It was not simple theft, it was robbery.

2. Google Lee Farkas

17. Northside Storm

This is pathetic. "It was robbery." Of a hundred dollars!!!

Lee Farkas is a unique case, and he deserved all the jail time he got and more. The man stole $3 BILLION! Get back to me when the REAL, entrenched executives like Blankfien, and Wachovia's merry robbers are held to account for allowing civil fraud and drug laundering that they are CAUGHT RED-HANDED ON, and slapped with FINES, instead of JAIL TIME.

America is a prison state for the poor. It has the highest recorded incarceration rate in the world! 743 per 100,000 population! And, it is VERY close to rivaling the historic high of gulag USSR (800 per 100,000 population).

[​IMG]

It's a bleeding shame how broken the system is. Either start relaxing some of these arcane laws and ending the stupid war on drugs, war on everything, war on etc. or shove that reluctance to jail white-collar executives caught red-handed breaking laws! If there's class warfare, it's already been declared, and it's obvious which side is winning.

18. gwayneco

Not only are these fools violent, anti-Semitic commies, they're thieves too:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/criminal_occupation_oh3CnKANUqYHrGPCaZaLRK

It’s a den of thieves!

Occupy Wall Street protesters said yesterday that packs of brazen crooks within their ranks have been robbing their fellow demonstrators blind, making off with pricey cameras, phones and laptops -- and even a hefty bundle of donated cash and food.

“Stealing is our biggest problem at the moment,” said Nan Terrie, 18, a kitchen and legal-team volunteer from Fort Lauderdale.

“I had my Mac stolen -- that was like $5,500. Every night, something else is gone. Last night, our entire [kitchen] budget for the day was stolen, so the first thing I had to do was . . . get the message out to our supporters that we needed food!”

Crafty cat burglars sneaked into the makeshift kitchen at Zuccotti Park overnight and swiped as much as $2,500 in donated greenbacks from right under the noses of volunteers who’d fallen asleep after a long day whipping up meals for the hundreds of hungry protesters, the volunteers said.

“The worst thing is there’s people sleeping in the kitchen when they come, and they don’t even know about it! There are some really smart and sneaky thieves here,” Terrie said.

“I had umbrellas stolen, a fold-up bed I brought because my back is bad -- they took that, too!”

Security volunteer Harry Wyman, 22, of Brooklyn was furious about the thievery -- and vowed to get tough with the predatory perps.

“I’m not getting paid, but I’m not gonna stand for it. Why people got to come here and do stupid stuff? All it does is make people not wanna come here anymore,” Wyman fumed.

At one point yesterday, Wyman and other volunteers briefly scuffled with a man who was standing near a park entrance with a pail calling out: “Donations! Donations!” -- and pocketing the cash people tossed in the bucket.

19. Northside Storm

Because they're dirty hippies, stealing $7,000 just shows how unsophisticated the mob is.

But if they're dressed in suits, stealing $280 million a la Cassano is just cool.

Nice moral compass, bro.

20. redao

redao Member

being stolen = thief?

do you need to get your brain checked?