1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Completely agree with everything you've written.
    It's hilarious reading the comments as folks try to justify the deal and leave the rose tinted glasses on in believing Palmer will provide anything substantially more than Kyle Boller. (Yeah he'll be slightly better but not worth the picks spent on him).

It takes one fool to make another fool look better and the Raiders FO just made Mike Brown look like a genius.

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Chargers vs Raiders

Rivers vs Palmer

Bring it on !

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Uhhhh, the Patriots have had almost every pick in the draft the last couple and that hasn't guaranteed them jack. And they have Brady.....

4. what

what Member

I for one thing Cincinnati is on the rise even without the booty that they got for Carson. They have maybe a top 5 defense right now. Depending on what Dalton does, they could load up some skill receivers and offensive linemen, this is a dangerous team now, there is no doubt about that.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Doesn't compare with the first rounder and 2 second rounders that Bum Phillips traded for Dave Casper.

6. ferrari77

He was in a familiar system the past few years after his knee injury and after his elbow injury. No one's saying he forgot how to play but rather he has little left that would cause one to believe he can elevate himself back into the top of the Romo/Schaub-decent starters but not great QB status. As of right now I have to believe he's at the bottom of that group of decent starters but not great QB's.

So for how long will we continue to blame the Bengals for Palmer's HORRID performances the past two or three season?

Yes it does. Come on man!

Yes but the talent and potential as a starter was evident and at the moment he's turned into a good not great QB. At least at the time the 2 rounders were given up, there weren't any questions as to how much he had left like one would have re. Palmer and his accuracy.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Lets us take a look at who Cincy has beaten so far , Colts W/O Manning , Jags who are terrible , Browns are pretty awful . They have had one good win that is the Bills , i will give you that . Even that the Bills blew that game , they were up by 2 Td's.

8. what

what Member

Plus, how could I forget, but Cincinnati looks like they've hit paydirt with AJ Green. I'm not sold on Dalton just yet, but this team is scary.

Look for the bengals to move to the top of that division.

9. Maximus

Maximus Member

Ouch, too much. But, i wouldn't doubt Palmer reaches a high level of play again soon. He's needed a change of scenery for a long time.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Palmer isn't going to magically resurrect his career at this point. He's never been the same since messing up his ACL a few years ago.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

All of you guys who keep saying how bad Palmer sucks need to keep in mind that this team's record is relative to Jason ****ing Campbell as their starting QB.

Palmer doesn't need to be 2005 Carson Palmer, he just needs to hand off to McFadden and Bush and make a couple plays here and there.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Since when did 31 and an extended offseason bury somebody?

It's a quarterback, not a runningback... the expiration date is markedly later.

A torn ACL didn't kill Palmer, the Bengals falling apart did. That team disintegrated after 2007. The 2009 team was a total phony. The last 3 years were garbage, and the way the offense was being run, I can't blame him for wanting out.

He will do well in Oakland with that budding defense and stout running game. He's back home in Cali, and he's with some familiar coaches. It's a perfect fit.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm fine with the move, I don't think Palmer sucks. But if all you want is a guy to hand it off and make some plays you shouldn't be dealing a 1st.

14. what

what Member

I think palmer is and can be an elite qb, and I realize that nfl teams go bat-ass crazy when it comes to filling the position and contracts.

He is most likely worth a one number 1. But the thought of attaining two and even a second round pike, just seems insane.

I do however think that palmer and his 4000 yard passing yards, that he is going to surprise people with how good he is.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think its a good fit too.

I'm tempering my expectations, but yesterday we were looking at Kyle Boller starting 7 games, now we're looking at a guy who is at least as good as Jason Campbell filling in who is by all accounts going to be a lot happier with his surroundings here in Oakland.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seems like two first rounds picks should get a franchise something more than a QB who can "hand off" to the RB and "make a couple plays."

17. The Drake

The Drake Member

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Living in the Bay Area, I can tell you this isn't the move that's going to catapult the Raiders into the Super Bowl. There are still lots of areas that need improvement on that team line D-line, WR, TE, to name a few. Now that they've gutted their 2012 draft, they have no way to fill those holes.

This team isn't on the elite level of the AFC contenders like the Ravens, Pats, etc. Hell, just last week 14 of their 24 points came off special teams.

19. ferrari77

Sorry but I dont buy that. All well and good to blame it on the Bengals huh?
    A torn ACL isnt what affected him, the elbow injury is what got him.

I will concede that the Raiders did a great job with Rich Gannon whom most kinda discarded to the side, so if they can get anything out of Palmer it may help. I hope the Raiders O-line are solid protectors because we know Palmer is on the Schaub "mobility level".

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't think they're expecting a superbowl. I think a playoff win or two would make it worth it. Maybe 2-3 division titles along the way.

And what's wrong with Kevin Boss and the DL? WR has been a problem since Tim Brown retired, but otherwise...?