1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I collect unemployment if.......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

If they reduce my hours by 10. I work 40 hours a week and recently the company that I work for has been overstaffed with not enough call volume. According to them I am still "Full-Time" my benefits are not affected.

But I am now working 60 hours instead of 80.

2. what

what Member

Dude, you are not unemployed.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

First world problems.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ohhh, honey. You can't even get unemployment if you quit.

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Depends on your race, really.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

AL-UH-BA-MUH MAAANN!

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I must be the worst Asian at math ever because your numbers don't make sense to me. 40-10 = 60?

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you might be the worst asian at math ever, however, it seems you failed at the paying attention department.

He said, he works 60 hrs instead of 80. That means, 40-10 = 30/week * 2 = 60 hrs/ 2 weeks.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

10. Nook

Nook Member

Have we really gotten to this point? You are NOT unemployed, and do not deserve unemployment.

I am not a Republican... but this is becoming a real problem. People have no shame. Pull your damn weight and stop looking for an easy way out. Unemployment is supposed to be an absolute last resort.

1 person likes this.
  11. xcrunner51

Yes I inferred that as well. But it isn't specifically stated that he was referring to a pay period (2 weeks) and even if he intended to, the syntax of the last sentence really doesn't imply that. And even if it did, it would just then be a redundant statement because as you so adroitly point out that's simple math.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nook- Can I interest you in a spot on a Senate Commitee or Cabinet?

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Say hello to the millions of Americans that don't have a job at all *******.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Ignore these haters. Yes, you can collect unemployment.

15. matt8504

matt8504 Contributing Member

Well technicaly you can file for partial unemployment if they reduce your hours.

16. what

what Member

275 - weekly income = no unemployment. If he were getting 10 hours a week that might help. 30 hours = no chance.

The dude is trying to supplement his income to account for the reduction in hours. Really??????

17. xcrunner51

huh, hadn't heard of that. Kinda puts a kibosh on the political tangents.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The Texas Workforce Commission is your best resource. There are 3 basic requirements. Reduced hours would meet the separation from your last work requirement.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimant1.html
    You need to be actively looking for full time work to collect unemployment as another requirement. You cannot collect unemployment for a particular week, if you have not applied for full time work

However, your hours would have to be cut significantly in order to even get paid. Probably less than 20 hours. If your work income is more than 125% of your weekly benefit, you will get nothing. Generally, unemployment benefits are about 55-60% of full time work, if you do not have a job paying more than $40k/yr. You are basically looking at having your hours reduce to less than 30 hours(125% x 22-24 hours = 27.5-30 hours) , before you collect and it's only a partial payment to bring you up to 125% of your weekly unemployment benefit.

If I were you, I would fix up your resume and post it on several websites. Hiring usually spikes at the beginning of every quarter, so now is a great time to apply for jobs. If you wait until November, it will be a little late.

#18 BetterThanEver, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011