1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XBOX 360 Question - (Transferring from 'old' style to 'new' style)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Hey you XBox Gurus,

Quick question

House got robbed, old white XBOX 360 among the items stolen.

Luckily, my son had the hard drive from the unit with him on vacation, and so the only thing that was lost on it was the console itself.

I am going to replace the 360, but will probably end up with the new black style unit.

My question is, how do I go about transferring the profiles and information and all that stuff onto the new XBox from the old hard drive? I assume it can be done.. I had done the same kind of transfer from the old 20gb model to a newer 60gb model, and that worked fine, but I don't know how that works going from the old model to the new style.. also, I may just get the 4gb version, so I don't know how that would work, or if it would even be possible.

Anyone done this?

Thanks for any info... you guys always rock

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hmmm... not sure how to do it without an actual console, but I did it by actually transferring all of my purchases and files to an external USB drive, and then from the drive to the new XBox. I transferred about 80 gigs worth of stuff, and it worked no problem.

But that might require you to borrow a friend's unit and put your harddrive in his, and I don't know if that works or not. I never tried.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

They have transfer kits you can get that will automatically move everything over for you. It has a cord that connects the old HD to your new system and you just run the software on the CD that comes with it. For some reason, I want to say my XBOX Elite came with the transfer kit. But, I could be wrong.

Check out Gamestop/EB Games, they should have something to do it.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yeah, the Microsoft transfer kit is the way to go. I had to do the same thing when I bought a new 120 GB hard drive. It's a very simple process.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Transfer Kit or USB, both working well.

6. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

What I did was bought the 4gb xbox open up the 120gb hard drive for my old xbox and inserted it to the new xbox and it works fine. But apparently Xbox frowns upon this for some reason

7. BiggetyBalla

BiggetyBalla Member

Take the hard drive to the store when you buy the new xbox. If it's a game store, they will transfer the profiles and everything for you at the store.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in before the 360 sucks buy a PS3.

9. Nero

Nero Member

80gb fatty was stolen as well :(

10. PASTORofMUPPETS

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i deleted all my data once to sell my xbox, but XBL has all my purchases in my history. I just redownloaded them.