1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 3, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like the sounds of that. Pink slips for McCain and Molden.

I think people are keeping expectations in check, but I haven't seen many down on him. I think most are hoping he gets the starting job over Jackson, and not just because it'll bench Jackson. He's no stud, but no liability and he's very acceptable as the 4th best man in the secondary.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You'd have to point out who exactly you think is down on him to get an answer to your question.

He's not a "good" player. There is a reason why he was cut in Miami. That doesn't mean he's not the best option we have at #2 though, and it doesn't mean a light can't turn on for him this year. He makes plays on the ball though and that counts for a lot.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I guess, when I said down, I was mostly responding to you, and I thought (but after reading back through, I might be mistaken) other people saying he wasn't that great. I see what you're saying that he's not a " good" player. Yeah, he's not good enough to be a number one (except on last year's team), but that's not what he's here to do. As a number two corner, I think he could potentially be very good. I just hope he gets to start over Kareem.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Pretty close. $980K this year, free agent next year.

5. justtxyank

Got it. Well like I said, he's not "good" but he is "good enough" probably. I think he is our second best corner. That doesn't mean he'd probably start for most good defenses, but let's be honest, this isn't a good defense. Start the best players. Would I like an upgrade? Of course. But I'm not down on Allen. I see him for what he is. A competent player with some on the ball skills that is our best option opposite Joseph.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think this team can go places with the other pieces we have, combined with a Joseph and Allen duo. Of course, an upgrade would be ideal (who wouldn't want what the Eagles have at corner). I still think this defense, coupled with our awesome offense, is capable (with good coaching) of carrying us at least a couple games into the playoffs.

7. RedRaiderRocket

Nick Scurfield
    RB Ben Tate (hamstring) also did not practice. Kubiak had expected him to today

I think Tate should start getting comfortable because I think he is going to be stuck in Kubiak's dog house. Sometimes you have to play through a lingering pain, and Tate seems unwilling.

8. justtxyank

I absolutely agree with everything you said here. I think Allen is just as competent as some of the guys the Saints had in their secondary during their SB year. What excites me about the secondary is for once we don't have a bunch of stone hands out there. These are guys who should pick off some passes.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I can understand Tate's apprehension after missing all of last season. His career is on the line; if he gets hurt again, he'll have the injury prone label and be out of the league in no time.

With our RB depth, I don't have a problem with him taking his time. As long as he's ready to go by the middle of the season, when our other backs might be starting to wear down or get hurt, is fine with me.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

On the so-called Allen hate, I think he suffers a little bit from what happened last year.

IIRC, our secondary was in the midst of SUCKING ON ICE last year when Green Bay cut a CB (what was his name?) that our fans were hoping we would sign. The Dolphins ended up signing him and cut Allen to make room. Then we signed Allen. So everyone was a little upset that we only ended up with Miami's scraps. Perhaps that is still following him around.

Is that what happened, or did I totally make that up?

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

NickScurfield
    Kubiak said the secondary practiced "very poorly" today w/ Joseph out. The DBs have been leaning on Joseph, Manning for leadership

12. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://texans.studiotigaapps.net/transcripts/august-12,-2011-am-practice.aspx

Houston Texans Transcripts
    Training Camp Practice #20 (Morning)
    Thursday, August 12, 2011

Head Coach Gary Kubiak:
    OLB Connor Barwin:
    WR Devard Darling:
    FS Shiloh Keo:
    CB Sherrick McManis:
    T Eric Winston:

Here is an article and video via NFL.com and the AP on Matt Lienart.

Source:
    http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82161700/article/still-a-texan-leinart-hasnt-given-up-on-life-as-a-starting-qb

Up next is a Yahoo Sports Radio podcast interview with Wade Phillips.

Link:
    http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/audioplayer/?id=http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/?p=5316

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

So basically, if Joseph and Manning miss games during the season the defense is screwed. Sounds about right.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Quote said the secondary practiced poorly, not the whole defense. I expect big things from the front 7 this year.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

most teams aren't going to do so hot if they lose their top two secondary players.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think most (not all) defenses would be screwed if their #1 corner and starting strong safety went out with injuries.

edit: Groogrux!

17. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=&station=ktrk&section=&mediaId=8303585&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=&station=ktrk&section=&mediaId=8303585&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

and here are two new vids from Texans Tv Daily...

1. Texans 2010 Recap by NFL Films (24:24)
    2. NFL.com's Kirwan bullish on 2011 Texans (3:33)

#4777 rcoleman15, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was Al Harris. The Packers had put him on the PUP list to start the season then later took him off it and waived him. He only played 3 games (recording 3 tackles and no other stats) for Miami but tweaked a hammy and was put on injured reserve. Allen had started 7 games for the Dolphins at that point. I'd say we got the better end of that one, especially if Allen earns a starting spot with us this year.

19. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

For those of you with Sirius/XM Radio.....NFL Radio (Channel 88) will be broadcasting from the Texans training camp today from 2pm-6pm

Movin' The Chains @ Texans Camp
    Friday, August 12 ET 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
    Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan broadcast live from Texans Training camp in Houston, TX.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for the heads up.

Missed the GQ, Winston and Antonio smith interviews...they were talking highly on Antonio's description of the defense.