1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players going back to school during lockout

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

AR is one of them, player-coach, get on it Morey!

Summary:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/08/several-nba-players-returning-to-school-during-lockout/

Full read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...q8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nba_players_ucla_080911

And a little more:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nb...dsoe-rajon-rondo-to-enroll-at-kentucky-again/

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

3. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Good for them. there's nothing like having an educational backup regardless of success because anything can happen. They're being great examples for everyone. As a recent grad of UCLA....the women are cherries on the top ;)

4. chonox

chonox Member

Would they be allowed to play college ball? LOL

5. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

I wish, then NCAA would actually be worth watching :)

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They can play other sports if they want. They can play football, baseball, anything except basketball essentially. I think John Elway used to play during the offseasons for a college baseball team to keep his arm in gear. Maybe I'm not recalling the right QB, but I think it is...

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Get an education and enjoy all the college girls while they are at it...win win for them lol

8. TheReason

TheReason Member

Lol at Randolph thinking about joining a fraternity.

9. Asian Sensation

Imagine rolling around campus in a Ferrari or Lambo (legally). BALLIN!

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So basically, go to campus for a bunch of classes which don't matter since you are already rich, have hot college chicks clamoring all over you, and overall look/act like a boss around campus?

Sounds like a great time to be honest...

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

basically, but i wouldnt say the classes don't matter, since lack of financial education is why a lot of pro athletes lose all their money. i think more and more players understand that even millions can vanish quickly because everything they're buying is expensive. To keep their lifestyle going, for themselves and their family, they have to make wise investments/purchases.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Tristan Thompson is going back to UT too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/07/28/rookies.lockout/index.html

13. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Focus on study, or have 2-3 different girls a day doing anything to make you happy. I know which one I would do, you only live once, enjoy it....

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So much win for these players. Either go to school STRICTLY to be a big shot on campus, play overseas or in pro-am exhibition games, or sit around and collect their guaranteed millions.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Pop culture eh? That'll get you a job...

I honestly have little sympathy for certain players that cry about being broke after their playing days are over. Granted some people were thick as a brick to begin with and likely wouldn't have earned a penny unless they could play basketball; to them you can thank the system for allowing them to live it up for 5-10 years before recirculating their wealth back into the hands of the White Man and resuming their position as a poor-ass broke boy. But guys like Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Baron Davis...those don't look like idiots to me. They've got an honest-to-goodness chance to work on sustaining their wealth after their physical abilities are done, and they waste it away on meaningless classes.

Honestly that's what separates a Hakeem Olajuwon or Tim Duncan from a Latrell Sprewell or Scottie Pippen.

16. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

American Popular Culture?

Yeah, they're definitely there for the education.