1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heads up for League Pass subscribers for NOV 9th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GMNot, Nov 8, 2002.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

Just a heads up for all, like me, who depend on DirecTV's NBA League Pass to follow the Rockets...

In case you're wondering why you haven't seen the local Houston braodcast for Houston games so far this season it's most likely because KNWS 51 is in a dispute with DirecTV and at present is not considered a "local" affiliate. The person I spoke with at KNWS said that the best way we, as fans, could help is to contact DirecTV and let them know we are disappointed (and even angry) that we can't get the local broadcast of Houston Rocket games. I would urge all NBA League Pass subscribers to call DirecTV and call often to complain. If enough of their customer base demands certain programming I think we will help get the current situation resolved.

I got on to this today because I was afraid I would miss the retirement ceremony for Hakeem tomorrow night. I've taped the ceremonies for both Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkley and couldn't stand the thought that if the DirecTV feed was the Golden State feed it probably wouldn't be covered a half time. I've called ALL involved today -- DirecTV, the Rockets, the NBA, KNWS and FOX Sports Bay area trying to find out what feed will be used tomorrow night. After all the calling I was finally able to reach someone at the Rockets a little while ago who told me that in the case of the NBA League Pass it probably wouldn't matter that KNWS is considered a "local" affiliate and that since Fox Sport Bay Area ISN't supplying a feed for the Golden State game tomorrow night that NBA League Pass will most likely use the KNWS feed -- YEAH!! Let's hope that's how this all turns out for us fans who depend on League Pass.

Sorry to make this somewhat lengthy. I just think it's important enough to explain what I've found out and hope it gets others who want to see the local coverage of the Rockets at least a fair share of the time on League Pass, to call them and be VERY vocal. Maybe will get to see Calvin's and Bill's coverage of some of the games this season if we become enough of a squeaky wheel.

Sorry if this has been explained/mentioned by someone earlier... in that case don't respond to this thread.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Or Rockets.com could tape the video footage of Hakeem's retirement, and put it on their official site for the whole world to view. Kind of a final tribute, if you will!!!

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

GMNot,
    I feel your pain. For those of us like you that live out of town I think we all missed out on something special when we missed the opening ceremony for the home opener. I for one am very gladd that you took the time to call and find out this info.

4. Nimnal

Nimnal Contributing Member

Very happy to call and let them know I'm not getting my money's worth if they aren't showing some Houston feeds! Thanks for the info. GMNot,
    do you have the 800 number for DirectTV and what kind of response did you get when you called??

5. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Really miss Calvin and Bill...I hope they get this resolved. It would be nice to get the Houston feed for this tribute.....

6. GMNot

GMNot Member

Sorry for not getting back to post sooner.

Well, guys, I think my efforts will be beneficial to the extent that enough Rockets fans who subscribe to League Pass call and complain.

The number for DirecTV is 1-800-DIRECTV. As far as the reception don't expect to get the feeling you've accomplished much by calling. I guess I should warn everyone of that. DirecTV is a well insulated company which couldn't be too interested in customer feedback (although, they have a Web site you can check and maybe e-mail as well as call to complain). I say they aren't very interested because I've had it for 5 years now -- as a matter of fact my wife and I got it exclusively for being able to watch the Rockets after leaving Houston -- and I started calling LAST season complaining about the fact that I didn't like the fact that 1)there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to which feed was used for games and 2)more often than not post-game shows were not shown.

I explained to them what seemed common sense to me. I argued that 1)why not have a rule that the home teams broadcast be used for the feed for each game, and 2)the post-game is an integral extension of the game for television viewers.

When you call to complain, you'll immediately realize you might as well be talking to McDonald's about the NBA coverage. If you ask to speak to a supervisor they just repeat the same thing that the "normal" representative tells you in the first place. In the end, you find out if you want to talk to any real decision makers at DirecTV you will be given a mailing address and that's it! So much for customer service in my book. I'm pretty tired of companies that have the latest communications systems only so they don't really have to communicate with anyone they choose not to.

BUT, and this is the gist, EVEN if we're complaining to non-decision makers, if the lines are buzzing on a regular enough basis (like right when the feed comes on and you know your not getting Bill and Calvin for a home game, or at the end when you realize they just shut off the signal before you got to see any interviews with players, etc.) it has to have an effect. Unfortunately, in today's corporate run world, we're like the team down by 20 with 4 minutes left to play. Seems pretty hopeless but it just doesn't seem right to give up and not play 'til the buzzer goes off.

Thanks for being supportive of the idea and your appreciation for what little info. I was able to get after quite a bit of calling.

One other thing: I was impressed that the lady I spoke with at Fox Sports Bay Area wanted me to let her know on Monday how it all shakes out because she said this may have ramifications for future broadcasts. And she took my number and said if she found out anything she would call me.

Well, let's hope we League Passers get to enjoy the ceremonies tomorrow night with the Houston viewers.

GMNot

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

GM, I am with you. Great suggestions!

8. GMNot

GMNot Member

To summarize and clarify: From my understanding KNWS is in a dispute with DirecTV over being a "local affiliate". DirecTV along with cablel companies were mandated to begin carrying "local" broadcast stations. This is a separate issue from NBA League Pass. This impacts people more who live just outside the 75 mile radius of NBA blackout rules but who would get "local" channels on either cable or DirecTV. They would get the local Houston stations on cable or DirecTV (you have to order for an extra charge). THIS is where KNWS is not available on DirecTV. Where I live KNWS is not local to me anyhow so I can't expect to be able to order it as one of my "local affiliates".

NBA Leage Pass may still use KNWS's feed for some games (although, so far this season, they have not). That has been my biggest beef. And of course post game coverage.

... enough about TV gripes :)... unless I don't get to see Hakeem's ceremony tonight. :mad:

9. Tim

Tim Member

Here's some clarification on League Pass's choice of broadcast.

Treat this like a playoff tie-breaker system:

If one team is broadcasting on a regional sports network (like Fox Sports Southwest or the YES Network that carries the Yankees and the Nets) and the other one isn't, League Pass will pick up the broadcast that is on the regional sports network.

If neither team or both teams are on an RSN, then League Pass will give preference to the home broadcast.

Hope that helps clarify.

Tim

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tim,

I am not sure that you know what you are talking about since both the Sonics and Raptors games were on RSNs and the broadcast team was NOT the home team.

We have not heard Bill and Calvin yet.

DaDakota

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait...

Tim,

I may owe you a half hearted apology. So, what you are saying is that the Rockets....the HOUSTON ROCKETS are NOT carried on a RS Network...anywhere.

How sorry is that !!!!!!

DaDakota

12. Tim

Tim Member

I think you figured it out in the post that followed this one ... our broadcast was over-the-air, and theirs were on RSNs, so their broadcast got priority on League Pass.

13. knifejc

knifejc Member

Will i live in ATL and i'm glad i finally got to hear good ole Bill and Calvin on league pass tonight:)

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Can someone tell me why some Rockets games on league pass get blacked out in the College Station area ? :mad:

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

College Station is considered a Rockets market. League Pass is only good for out of market games. Austin is considered a Spurs market so all Spurs games are blacked out. Just like the Rockets in CS when playing on regular TV, we can't get Spurs games even with an antenna (if we tried, I never have cause I'm not that into the Spurs).

16. Smokey

Another thing, during the commercial breaks I had a lot of "We'll be right back" blue screens so I was nervous whether the Dream halftime ceremony would be on. Usually halftime shows are preempted by NBA TV if there are a lot of blue screens during commercial breaks. I'm glad this was not the case tonight.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's kind of wierd. The halftime was preempted on my league pass.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Same here. No halftime ceremony for me either. Just NBA TV.

19. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

same here. no Hakeem half time, but first time (since this season) I got a chance to watch Bill & Calvin, that's great, i wish nba pass would show channel 51 on direct tv more...

20. Smokey

I heard Direct TV subscribers got screwed with NBA TV. Digital cable subscribers got to see the ceremony. I'd ask for a credit for last night, it was not worth paying for it without the halftime ceremony.