1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Crane appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by T-Slack, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Are we seriously already having a an appreciation thread when nothing has happened? I could have told someone to cut payroll and start fresh. Yes he finally forced Wade to do it but at the end of the day we knew this was coming.

I will reserve my judgement on the new regime until we start really showing some upward movement and rebuilding.

2. JoeBarelyCares

I would be a lot more appreciative of a new owner like Mark Cuban who would spend whatever it takes to get a winner.

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You been under a rock or something?

4. Two Sandwiches

I can't say I appreciate an owner who wants to slash payroll before he even officially takes over. I can appreciate trying to build up a farm system, though.

Hopefully, this isn't going to be the theme of things with this team - hovering at a payroll of 70 million. From everything I've read, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

5. meh

meh Member

There's a difference between willingness to spend and payroll. They are different concepts. Especially when it comes to baseball where minor league spending is quite significant.

I honestly don't give a damn just how low the Astros major league payroll is. I just want to see Oswalts, Berkmans, Biggios, etc. appearing for us in the big leagues in 2-3 years. Whether it's due to Crane hiring a super-smart GM who could spot talent, or because he spends so much on international and draft picks that some pan out simply through shear volume. I don't care.

Right now, I want to see prospects who could turn into stars. That's all I ask. Payroll on the major league level is worthless until that happens. Only when you have a core of cheap, young star-level talents can the owner supplement that with quality FA signings. Before then, whether the Astros are a 60 win team or a 70 win team makes no difference.

1 person likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Member

I adopt this post entirely. Well done, and I agree.

7. meh

meh Member

Glad we can agree on the Astros even if we have our differences of opinion on the Rockets. :)

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

my thoughts exactly! :grin:

9. Ryan02GT

Ryan02GT Member

Ed Wade will be gone..........you can consider this insider information

10. YaosDirtyStache

You are the worst insider ever. Stevie Wonder can see this from a mile away.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

•The Astros’ sale is just a week away, Stark writes. Other clubs are hearing that incoming owner Jim Crane may drive payroll down to $50MM or below from $71MM.MLBTR

12. Nick

Nick Member

Impossible unless he can find people to trade for Wandy, Myers, Lee AND eat most of their contracts...

13. rockets934life

Actually, I THINK, if they move Wandy or Myers they can get the payroll down to 50 million. Moving Pence(10 million), Bourn(7 million) and Keppinger (5 million) already trimmed the payroll to around 60 million, depending on arbitration eligible guys.

14. moonnumack

moonnumack Member

I'm not liking the constant references to a a certain payroll target by Crane. I totally get not wanting to have a big payroll for a crappy MLB roster, but putting an ulitmatum on the GM to get to a certain payroll number seems arbitrary and short-sighted.
    I will appreciate Crane a lot more if he replaces Wade with Andrew Freidman.

15. T Rex

T Rex Member

16. codell

codell Member

Kind of an insult to Drayton here. Mr. Crain has a checkered past and is already promising to slash payroll to a point where Drayton probably hasn't had the team since the mid 90s.

Not saying he won't be a great owner or even better than Drayton. Not much to appreciate at this point.

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

Actually, we were at $60M in 2001, and $52M in 2000.

I agree with you though.

18. codell

codell Member

I stand corrected. :)

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I didn't realize how much of Crane's deal was going to be financed. Maybe they were joking, but I swear somebody on the radio said that Drayton was loaning Crane like 60 million as well.

I really hope MLB turns this guy down. The more I hear, the less I like.

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

This guy has been close to buying an MLB team one more than one occassion. He absolutely blew away what anyone expected the Astros would sell for...and he's been the owner in waiting for months now...you still need more investigation?

Methinks this is about realignment, sadly. All indications were this was a rubber-stamp job.