1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice says just give me the damn ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by studogg, Nov 7, 2002.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Alright GR....now you're earnin' some of that $9+m!!!

Not that I'm a big Rice fan (I'm not), but IMO this is good vet leadership. And by the way, Rice can still post up any player his height or shorter.

2. aries323

aries323 Member

I hope Rice plays like he talks. I know he used to be top 3 shooters in the league. Now, maybe top 30 on a good day. Great leadership though. :rolleyes:

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why the hell is Rice even in the lineup? He hasn't shown a shooting touch since he's been a Rocket. He makes Shandon look like a good fit.

4. tuus

tuus Member

and he can prove it with 4 shots in game :confused:

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I have seen WAY to often so far that the guards keep jacking it up and Ming is standing by the free throw line looking really lost. He virtually never had the ball hit his hands. You can't have that and expect to be able to play a good team game.

6. playahata

playahata Member

I'm tired of hearing about Cuttino and Steve being the problem with ball movement. It's Moochie. In the first half of last game I seem to remember Cuttino passing plenty. Steve had assists that game, but Moochie dribbles,dribbles, and then tries to take a shot, usually from long range. Say what you will about Cuttino not passing, but the guy is shooting about 45%, not bad for a guard. Less moochie is a good thing.

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Wow! How convenient to lay all the blame on Moochie. :rolleyes: He committed the crime of not passing. So are Cat and Steve.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

If you review the last game, the assist numbers could be even higher if more of those open shots were made. I do not think it was really as bad as people are making it. I like the fact that Wink has established himself as unstoppable. Rice can only gain from that. I just hope he is able to capitalize on it.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that just tells me that you dont actually watch the games..GR CAN still post up..that has always been something he can do..
    and I ve seen him do it this year..

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Wouldn't it be ironic if Rice was the one who got this motion office running. He'd be underpaid.

11. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I'm glad Rice came out with the statement. A true veteran player that knows what it takes to win. If Steve doesn't start passing the ball then he shouldn't play point.I'm not hating on Steve, I love the guy, but he is worried about trying to make MVP stats early in the season. If Steve passes the ball more and get his team envolved, the Rockets can prove to the league that they are maturing. STEVE WILL ALWAYS AVG. A DOUBLE DIGIT PTS. PER GAME. so he shouldn't worry about scoring until it is desperately needed. JMO :)

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

O yea i forgot to mentioned about Cuttino too. :)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You would think with Barkley, and Kenny Smith and now Glenn Rice saying it, that they would get it.

The problem I have is that Rudy should not be "saying" it, he should be "demanding" it.

I think Rudy needs to enforce his will on the young players.

Or by the time they get it, they will be GETTING it with a new coach.

DaDakota

14. Kelvin Cato

Kelvin Cato Member

I agree with DaDakota 100%. Rudy does not seem to enforce what he preaches. He says the things we want to hear but I don't see it happening on the court. I wish Rudy would coach with sense of urgency, seeing how his job MAY depend on it. If the players aren't doing what they are asked to do, make a statement by benching someone. I'm sure after getting their playing time cut, they may come to see the light.

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

i posted this yesterday....

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Perhaps Rudy doesnt want to damage his reputation as a player's coach.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato,

So, explain to me how you intend to tell Steve Francis that your are benching him. And why would Rudy going to the media to call out Francis like Phil Jackson would necessarily work anymore than Rudy admonishing Francis in front of his players in a closed practice.

There is no proof that admonishing a leader in public works. It didn't work with Hakeem in the early 90's.

Plus, it sets a precedent where now the players can go to the media.

I say, don't break the golden rule of going to the media. Only speak in general Bull Durham terms...and only the team captains and the coach. And SF, CM and Rice are captains....right?

#37 heypartner, Nov 8, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2002
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HP,

You pull him out, tell him why, and then put him back in, if he does not continue to do it, you put his ass on the bench.

I think he would get it, don't you?

DaDakota

19. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I hope that Glen can backup what he says. I have never taken him for a leader of a team though? He sure wasn't when he was in LA or NY. Maybe back in Charlotte?

Does anyone know the last time he scored 20pts or more in a game?

I like Rice a lot, he can shoot the ball, but he has to be healthy to do that, which hasn't been too often in a Rockets uniform. I would like to see him get the ball more, if he can provide an outside threat then that should help our inside game develop.

20. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Those of you wondering about GR's motive for saying what he said, I remind you that he WATCHED all last season. Four games played this season which he barely participated in one. I don't think he's asking for the ball based on personal reasons. The guys a vet that has won it all before. Regardless of how he's able to perform nowadays, he knows what a Championship team is supposed to look like.