1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any cyclists out there

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jturbofuel, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

With the tour de france going on right now I thought it was a good times to dust the bike off and start riding again. Any other riders and how much do you guys ride and where are good places to ride.

2. what

what Member

I just bought a bike and have been learning the ropes. The farthest ride I've done is about a 6 mile back and forth to my local grocery store.

I am still not brave enough to ride on the street. I wanna get there because riding on the sidewalk sucks. I starting believe that I don't even need a car!

My bike is the giant defy 3!

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Yeah I just did 7 miles and I just did the streets through the subdivisions. I don't trust Houston drivers enough to ride on the busy streets. I have always wondered since they are very few bikes lanes in Houston how does it compare to other major cities.

4. Garner

Garner Member

I used to ride 20-30 mile rides, however, it is something i'm no longer able to do.

I would say, put your bike in your car and drive out to country back roads. It really isn't worth trying to ride the city/suburb streets. People have no courtesy for cyclists, they do not share the road.

and don't be surprised when people throw **** at you either.

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I ride bmx around studewood, white oak and the Heights area in general. I am not pushing past 15 miles though being halfway through my 20's on a young man's bike.

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Also don't forget about critical mass, I don't support their agenda but I love riding with them.

7. Secret Agent 7

I just picked up a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er - hitting Memorial Park tomorrow morning! :grin:

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have an electric bike. Does that count? I'm waiting for my local Alamo Drafthouse to open (maybe a mile away), so I can ride my ride there and drink to my heart's content with no worries, except for riding into a tree, perhaps.

9. alethios

alethios Member

I'm thinking of entering this charity ride which is being held on Sept. 10th - http://www.hcchallenge2011.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=437651

It's for a good cause, so we're hoping to raise some money and enjoy one of the most scenic rides in CA. So yeah, I've been bitten by the riding bug. Haven't decided if I'll do the full 100 miles (the farthest I've ridden is 35 miles in one shot), so we'll see. I'm training now just to get back into riding shape. And yes, the Tour de France is inspiring me.

10. what

what Member

I was checking out some books about long distance riding on amazon because I just wanna know what's possible with my bike since I like it so much, and those guys are talking about riding your bike on the freeway.

I tried to cross a freeway once - and I do mean once - and let me tell you that was some of the scariest **** I ever done in my life. At one point I was straddling one of those concrete walls and cars are flying by me on both sides of the freeway.

No thanks, I don't want to die.

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

They probably mean smaller two and four lane freeways where there are a lot less cars and the speed limit is lower. The best scenic and touring routes are usually a long highways, so its something you are going to have to learn to do if you want to do something more then just recreational riding.

Biking on the roads isn't too bad if there are bike lanes, after a few rides you'll be confident enough to not even think about it. Google maps has a nice bike feature that shows you the best routes and paths for biking, so that's a good place to start if you are looking for places to bike on the road.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I just got a road bike a couple of months ago and am liking it so far. I have been lazy the past couple of weeks though because of the heat.

Memorial Park has a 1.2 mile bike loop that is closed to cars after 3 PM on weekdays, I've been up there a few times and enjoyed it. Since you're just riding in a circle it can get repetitive, but it's been nice to be able to get used to riding without having to worry about traffic.

13. what

what Member

I dunno, I've had too many incidents already where I get my bike leaning to the left and I can't seem to correct it. It's like a right eye dominant thing. Do you know what I am talking about? If my bike is moving right I can correct it if necessary. But when it is moving to the right I can't correct as easily. Any tips?

14. what

what Member

left I meant.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jnot3NIBQfU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jnot3NIBQfU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  16. what

what Member

And you have 5 green reputation points. What exactly was the purpose of this video, anyway? Me make funny joke, or something?

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Why you mad brah?

1 person likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This means I don't drive a car, I RIDE A BICYCLE daily and can relate.

And its a great way to stay in shape

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

lol owned

20. Orion025

Orion025 Member

Checking in!
    Yesterday around 7am @ TH park. Anywhere from 20-40 miles every Sat/Sun
    [​IMG]
    Some Rides to get you started
    Weekly: The Saturday Ride @ 23-24mph pace
    Monthly: Critical Mass
    some upcoming rides
    Tour de Pink
    The Wurst Ride
    Tour de Bike Barn just happened yesterday and if anyone saw in the news Wolfpack Hustle cycling crew beat JetBlue's flight from Burbank to Long Beach yesterday running at a 26-28mph clip. Pretty Epic. :cool:

Most of the local bike shops do various weekly/weekend rides defined by the level of experience and pace of riders in that group.