1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming's problem: Who's fault?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Easy, Nov 6, 2002.

Tags:
?

Who is to blame for Ming's performance?

1. Chinese officials: for Ming's missing training camp and preseason

31 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Rudy: for not using Ming the right way

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Coaching staff: for not teaching Ming how to be more effective

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Ming: for lack of physical capability (too slow, too weak, etc.)

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Ming : for lack of effort in game

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Rocket guards: for not passing him the ball

26 vote(s)
    15.5%
  7. Whole team: for not executing cohesive team ball

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Nobody's fault: just a rookie thing

59 vote(s)
    35.1%
  9. Others (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

OK, let's get the blame game (or excuse game) organized.

We all are more or less disappointed (more or less depending on your expectation) by Ming's preformance so far. I know some people may say that they are not disappointed. But, c'mon, I think you are just in denial. Unless you are not a Rockets fan, you've got to have some hope that he would come in and make an impact. Some had higher hope and some had lower hope. I just don't believe that you had no hope. OK, enough babbling.

What I'm trying to do is to get a grip on where we should point our collective fingers. I know there are probably more than one factors. Unfortunately, the poll feature can only allow one choice. So I ask you to pick the top culprit and you can add other lesser culprits in your posts.

2. sncns

sncns Contributing Member

Whoever voted for "Coaching staff: for not teaching Ming how to be more effective" needs to lay off the crack pipe.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I hate pointing fingers unless I am driving on I-10. Yao will be spectacular. He needs development in his body and on the court. The beautiful thing about it is that he seems to have the ambition and work ethic reminiscent of Olajuwon. If he has half the focus of the afformentioned, he will dazzle next year. I still believe that he will become a competent addition this year. And isn't this why we were so happy about the play of Cato? Wasn't that supposed to be the transition until Yao's game developed? Remeber, the guys Yao was playing in China were probably worse than kids at the local playground. Give peace a chance.

4. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It's my fault, I admit.

I forget to tell him republicans will regain control of the senate ...

5. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

It's my fault too. I wrote too many threads to praise him and rised many people's expection. ;)

Hope this will help.
    [​IMG]

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. OK, y'all come out of the closet and fess up. It's all your fault!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just keep doing what your doing, windandsea. :)

I still believe Yao will do great things, that it's early days, and that he'll make a "big" contribution before and in the playoffs this year. Just imagine being as big a Nachbar fan as you are a Yao fan. Now THAT would be frustrating! What's happened to Boki??

Yao is doing fine considering what he's been through the last many months and the little time he's had with the team. I'm not worried about him. I'm more worried about the lack of consistent play on defense AND offense by the Rocks. They're the second youngest team in the League, right? Things will click. Soon I hope. I'd hate to lose my voice yelling at the TV.

Look for them to dismantle Golden State.

8. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

It is just a rookie thing. He showed signs of greatness against the Raptors. He is a young rookie from the other side of the planet. It will take a year or two for him to get used to life in the NBA.

9. prlen

prlen Member

Ming's problem??????????????????????

just 4 game ?OK?????

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No No...It's my fault. I refuse to admit to myself that I can't truly be Yao Ming's #1 fan since I'm not Chinese...so, I vicariously live through his failure.

I'm pathetic.

11. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I agree PRLen. People on this board are acting like the season is over. It is only 4 stinking games.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, read my post. I am not saying the season is over or this is the end of the Ming Dynasty. I am saying that everybody is more or less disappointed about Ming not having an impact immediately which a lot of people on this board have hoped.

HP, you are one of them, and you lost your bet. I know you are disappointed. This thread is not Ming bashing. It's just assessing the reasons why he is not making an immediate impact. Is that clear? Don't be so sensitive. Some of you people are so negative about negativity.:p

BTW, I should have put in one more choice: Colin Pine for not doing a good job translating for Ming.:)

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Who cares if Ming had become a dissapoinmet.it was just his 4 freaking game! Lighten' up men and women of Clutch BBS!

You guys have'nt seen nothin' yet. Play ball!:D

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

In that picture, Yao is raising 55 lbs dumbells. Ummm....Does anyone see a problem with this? Is his really that weak? There is no reason he shouldnt be putting up 80-90 lbs dumbells. Well, at least he is working on it. Man, I wish he lifted weights a little earlier in his career.

15. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

A combination of all. But some other obvious reasons that Yao is not performing as expected are:

1. Yao is a rookie who doesn't speak English well, if not at all. I remember 10 years ago I came to Houston from a place where people don't speak English at all. The transition was horrible for me. :( So is it for Yao now.

2. Yao is a Chinese player, which means he is from a totally different culture. A player from Europe or S. America can and will get accustomed to the US culture a lot faster than an Asian player does. Their culture is not as differnet from the US one as the Chinese one is.

3. No rookie ever needed to endure the weight of a nation's hope on his shoulder. Akeem was about the only one that had any pressure close to what Yao is faced, but then Dream playing his entire college career in the States did help his transition. Yao is under extreme pressure.

4. Yao has been playing against very loose competition in China. He doesn't have the advantage like Gooden or Pau had when they played against much better competitions in college or Europe.

5. Of course, our guards not playing a passing game doesn't help Yao grow. (can't resist!) :D

Well, that's all I can think of now. Trust me, when Yao gets more used to the culture and environment here, he will do just fine. :)

16. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Yeah, you see similar situation with Jay William in Chicago too. Poor field goal percentage, many PF, and low production. Yet, he had a lot of touch. Eventually, he will grow up faster than Yao Ming.

:)

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

When was the last time you saw an NBA team have a 7'6" center and he is roaming around the free throw line on offense? That's ludicrous. That is also where Yao spends a good bit of his time looking really lost.

THAT is coaching...plain and simple.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I blame the change in diet that Yao must be experiencing. (I voted other so I specified) If anyone has traveled around the globe like he has, the diet is a definite issue.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe failing to meet expectations has something to do with unrealistic* expectations.

*definition of unrealistic = whose expectations. I suspect that most coaches and scouts who said it would take a few years for Yao to develope are not dissapointed. People who formed an opinion haveing never really seen him play, but figured Shaq would be trembling, are possibly dissapointed.

20. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Ummm...Rezz...do you work out? Cause if you do you know there are two ways of doing weights, one for bulk, one for tone, and you tend to alternate, or pyramid, or whatever...either way, it's impossible to determine what a player 'should' be lifting in a particular picture, as you have no idea where in his workout he is...

P.S. Although I change it up to shock the muscles, I find that pyramiding is the best for all around muscle development.