1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Summit, Nov 6, 2002.

1. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

What is the deal? The biggest sports figure in the history of this city is getting his jersey retired on Saturday and there are TONS of tickets left. I guess nothing has changed this year. It is going to look pretty pathetic when they unveal his jersey at the top of The Summit and there is nothing but green seats behind it.

2. kountzer

kountzer Member

I betcha memories of Hakeem's career look good to you Olajuwon bashers now, don't they !?!

3. The Summit

LOL! I hope the Hakeem bashers arent still out there. I just cant understand why people dont want to go and show there respect to The Dream.

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I don't know how you got the idea that there are plenty of seats left. Anyway, I'm going to the game.

Damn it! Tix are only $10. Rockets fans! Please join us!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gotta be a sell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I really want to go - no babysitter though - think people will mind a wild 2yr old??? :D

7. The Summit

I was just curious so I went to ticketmaster.com and there are good seats left in all of the cheap price categories (10, 13, 19.50, 26.50). It would just be an honor to him if the place was packed.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Bought my tickets today for me and Balloonstyle. The night is going to be GREAT!! I wanted to wear my Hakeem Jersey (Red and Gold) or his Dream Team jersey but its too small for me!!! I have grown alot in the past 6-7 years. :p Ill just wear my Griffin jersey and wave Hakeem's during his moment!

9. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

I've got my tickets ! No way am I gonna miss honoring the greatest sports figure this city has ever had.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wasn't it originally scheduled for opening night? Hmmm, I seem to remember a sellout that night, but the Rockets didn't want to spoil Ming's home debut...Now, the greatest player in franchise history will be celebrated in front of a 2/3 full stadium...

That's it, Tim! You're fired! :D

11. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I'd be there, but I'm stuck in NYC. I was at Hakeem's last game with the Rockets and believe me it was an awesome experience to cheer for him one last time and show him our appreciation. He seemed to really appreciate too with that sheepish, dorky grin and wave he does. Rockets fans, you need to come out and wear your red & gold jerseys to give him one last farewell. He deserves a sellout and an unvbelievably long, undying standing ovation.

12. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

A single empty seat would be tragic!!! This is Hakeem Olajuwon people. Players and people of his caliber don't come along ever generation!!! It is simply mind-boggling to me that the possiblity of a non sellout for this game exists.

13. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

I took my 2 yr old to the home opener and he loved it. He never sits still for that long at home...but he did for the game. He even cheered...chanted de-fense...and booed the refs just like daddy. I took him to 3 games last year when he was only 1...and he loved it then too. Believe me...no one will mind.

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

first of all, I'm going, and I'll be cheering for him.

however, if it doesn't sell out, I'm not going to feel too sorry about that. in my opinion, that's still a little bit of the fallout of him jilting the Rockets.

in the end, he showed the Rockets and the people of Houston that the money and his ego was more important than the loyalty.

so he can't cry if people choose not to spend their money on tickets to show him the loyalty and stroke his ego.

all that being said, he was great, I love him, and I hope the night goes well.

15. The Summit

It doesnt just exist my friend, it is probably going to happen.

16. SlamN

SlamN Member

If you have tickets to sell, I'm game. But I'm not paying any money for seats in the next to last row behind the goal. I rather spend $75+ for upper prom near mid court than $1 in those behind the basket in row R.

17. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I'm going. But I am surprised that we aren't seeing a HUGE MEDIA BLITZ about it. I mean, I would think that we wouldn't be able to get away from commercials about the night. I don't mean piggy-backing on a regular Rockets Commercial. I mean a full commercial about that night. If it is really a big deal, should the Rockets treat it as such? Where are the radio ads? I know it is one game, but I would try my best to make sure that it sold out.

ESPN Classic has done more to advertise Hakeem's retirement than the Rockets. That is just my opinion. I mean, unless the word is put out there, people will think it is just a Golden State game, and what casual Rockets fan would go to that? There are people here who have season tickets who weren't going until I told them it was Hakeem's retirement ceremony.

18. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I agree completely.

it's like the Rockets are just assuming people will show up. that's not good.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Can you buy tickets at the gate @Compaq? I'll probably go.