1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Yao's retirement could impact NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by northeastfan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I have no problems with the part I quoted. Just about every game I ever watched the thought crossed my mind: How can the NBA be so stupid as to intentionally limit Yao? It made bad business sense and even worse basketball sense.

i kept wanting Yao to lose his cool and call refs out, thinking that might make a difference, but it was never his way and probably would not have made much difference.

Fact is, the NBA has a reffing problem that goes beyond Yao and they are blind if they can't see it is affecting their bottom line and it will get much worse if they don't fix it now.

2. Crush

Crush Rookie

If people keep paying money to watch and follow then it won't matter, even if the NBA won't be as great as it could be. All NBA has to do is make money. It doesn't have to be a good product.

3. Crush

Crush Rookie

Whups, first part of post got misquoted. Sleepy

Conspiracy theory: NBA wanted to limit Yao to be anti racist. If Yao was immensely successful, people might wonder why blacks aren't more successful academically when an asian can be successful in basketball.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

All three of them are getting/got horrible calls. Its because they're mostly bigger than their opponent, the refs think they could "handle" it. Its hard to say whether Yao was officiated worse than Shaq or DH, Shaq and DH would get routinely clipped while trying to dunk the ball or grabbing a reb.

Yao always gets whistled by refs but he doesn't get beaten up like Shaq or DH. We know this because Yao has such an unstable core if he gets hit with medium force he falls down. Most of the hits he takes are of the "cheap" variety when the refs aren't looking rather than elbows to the ribs that Shaq and DH receives.

5. cod

cod Member

" An online poll on Weibo by Monday lunchtime showed that 57 percent of respondents would stop watching the NBA after Yao's retirement. "

There goes Kobe's idea for a chinese tour.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's not the reason why I say he's treated differently. Dwight Howard and (especially) Shaq can dish it out as much as they take it. I have never seen Yao trying to be physical with his defender without getting called for a foul. It's like the refs have to protect those 6-10 guys from the big bad mean 7-6 guy who wants some space to shoot his jumper.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

China is evicting all tall black people from the country beginning on July 20, 2011.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Just FYI, I am not a Yao Only Fan. My alliteration posted many times on this board for the big three a few years ago were: Tofu, Testy and T-Slack. Hardly what a Yao Only Fan would post. Sheesh.

9. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I agree that both Shaq and Dwight were also really badly officiated.

What the NBA doesn't get is that I didn't buy tickets to see Howard, Lebron (the blessed one who hardly ever fouls according to the NBA), or Kobe sit on the bench with two early fouls. The same was particularly true for Yao when he played. It was very annoying and made me greatly reduce my expenditure on NBA games. I'm not sure why the NBA prefers to defend their refs than defend the truth (by using replays, etc.). It is pretty disgusting if you ask me ... yet another reason why the NFL >>> NBA.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The NBA lost $1.5 billion in the last 5 years.

11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

It is pretty clear that the market has decided that it doesn't have a good product. Both basketball purists and people with money clearly recognize this.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If I were Yao I would hate to play in a league where getting beat up on both sides of the court was okay. He didn't sign a wrestling contract, he signed a contract to play basketball.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yup, everything's about sense of fair play and NBA is worst at it. That's why even inferior players in NCAA have a more popular product in their tournament than NBA could ever hope for.

14. ApuN

ApuN Member

Uh....Yeah.....

Ratings are up and even Stern said this has been the most succesful season in about 12 years.

I seriously doubt the league lost 1.5 billion dollars. The leagues problem is that it has overpaid marginal players and priced out the average fan from going to a game.

The league, however, is more popular than ever

15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Same could be said of women's soccer. Everything is relative.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

consequences will never be the same

17. bloop

bloop Member

Damn dude can't you be like the rest of us and keep it simple?

This is AMERICA. Hate the A-rabs, people with different political/social/religious viewpoints from ours, sportsfans from the "other" university in the state (UT, UH, A&M, Baylor, and/or Rice SUCK AMIRITE) and your mother in law. Obviously as an American I believe in needlessly injecting morality into every little damn thing to feel better about myself but hating people who dislike bad officiating is too much work.

Yao's retirement will certainly hurt the NBA among low-interest Chinese. Just like Jordan's retirement permanently reduced the footprint of the NBA in the US. But the article misses the point.

First over his career Yao has brought in millions of fans and millions of participants in the sport. That's a legacy that is REAL and will continue to pay huge dividends both for Darth Stern and for the CBA (Chinese league).

Second Yao was going to retire at some point. Whether it's 2011 or 2016 the downward bump was coming. Stern knew it was coming. The only question is did Stern do his due duty for once and prepare NBA China for this or did he **** it up like he does everything

18. akxninja

akxninja Member

Jordan may have opened the door to NBA globally (for the US it was Bird/Magic that revived NBA, but global media was not as accessible during their prime years) but Yao definitely brought forth millions of fans from China to the NBA. Kobe and AI didn't become popular in China, unless they were already die-hard NBA fans to begin with, until they learned more about the NBA through the introduction of the league by following Yao. I'm sure many started off as YOF but ended up becoming a fan of the game and other players, which was only made possible by Yao.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hmmm. Nice guy Yao possibly putting pressure on Stern and the owners? I like it!

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Tmac got done pretty badly while he was with us too.