1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In T-Mac's Defense - Perfecting the Upset's current article

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by spressa, Jul 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. spressa

spressa Member

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely true. T-mac criticizers always pull this "no heart" crap. Its the easy way out.

3. yo

yo Contributing Member

I don't think T-Mac criticizers are claiming he was that way his entire career. There was a clear point, however, when his lack of interest began to show (generally during the 07-08 season, but definitely in the seasons after when the "injuries" really started kicking in).

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think you are confusing "lack of interest" with playing while injured.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the article is a worthless piece of fluff that glosses over the worst about McGrady. To say, McGrady was always one of the most efficient players in the NBA completely blows the writer's credibility. I guess fluff pieces have their place but they are a waste of time to read when you know better.

BTW, I feel the same way about "hit" pieces that are totally negative.

6. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Typical Tmac defense article, blame everyone else for not being good enough. I don't even like Lebron but look at his garbage 05-06 roster he took to 50 wins and the second round. Yes, I know it was the east but Tmac had his chance in the east too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2006.html

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Funny how Houston passed first round without McGrady.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We played the number one seed and took them to 7 games in 05. He averaged something like 35 ppg 7 assist and 6 boards in that series.

Played Utah the next two years who was a better than team than us. Didn't help Boozer dominated Yao.

The Portland team we played was no where near as good as the Dallas and Utah teams we played. Tracy in the playoffs was a far superior player on both sides of the ball.

9. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

Tmac is still my favorite player, I dont care what yall say

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dallas was #4, Rockets were #5 in 2005.

11. spressa

spressa Member

Doesn't change the fact that Dallas Team and the Utah Teams were still better than the '09 Blazers.

I'd also comment that the 09 rocket's role players were much better than the 05 rockets role players. as well as much younger and starting to prime.

2005 main team contributors (yo - years old): Yao Ming, 35yo Jim Jackson, 30yo Mike James, 35yo david wesley, 32yo bob sura, 36yo jon barry, 32yo Juwan Howard, 39yo Dikembe mutombo, 39yo clarence weatherspoon.

2009 main team contributors - 27yo ron artest, 29yo luis scola, 23yo aaron brooks, 23yo von wafer, 25yo carl landry, 30yo shane battier, 22yo kyle lowry, 42yo dikembe

Looking at that....the rockets 09 team was much better, younger, and had more defined roles.

Better Rockets Team with a more experienced Yao, Worse Competition and better matchup comparatively to the Dallas and Utah Teams, the old contributing player (taking dikembe out of the equation) is 30 yo shane battier vs. the entire rockets team of 05 being over 30.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

All you need to see is the TORONTO game, where he wasn't even interested in being involved in the offense. What is THAT called? :confused:

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Finally we have an answer

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

McGrady's career isn't defined by the Dallas playoffs series meltdown after being up 2-0. Whether he made the 2nd round one time or zero times, his talent far exceeded his heart. This is the main reason so many people despise him.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Outside of a group of Rocket/Magic/Raptor fans, the general NBA fan does not despite McGrady. When he was still relevant (i.e. up till 07-08), he was one of the top 5-6 most popular players in the NBA.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't dispute that, but it's interesting he ticked off mostly the 3 sets of fans that knew him best.

If only his heart matched his talent.

17. Asian Sensation

Re-read what you just wrote.

There's something seriously wrong when there's 3 different groups of fans that despise you. Especially when you played in your prime for 2 out of the 3 teams. NY/DET don't even count cause he's no longer relevant like you mentioned.

18. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

The ENTIRE TEAM gave up on that game... I dont kno if you remember but we played our bench for the entire 4th quarter... He was injured and the game was out of control, and as I remember McGrady sat out several games afterwards to rest his knee. That game wasn't a blow out because of Mcgrady.. He was at least hurt and had an excuse for not going 100%... No one seems to blame the rest of the team for that awful performance.. The guy was trying to play injured...obviously if he could go back in time he wouldnt have even played in that game..

19. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

nobody cares! might as well write an article about bonzi wells

20. erimanila

erimanila Member

"I’m a fan of Yao only because the man always says and does the right thing and has a lot of heart. But heart only gets you so far." thats bogus.