1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Sonics @ Rockets 11/5/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 4, 2002.

1. ckrdkjr

ckrdkjr Member

the big quetion is will cato be back rockets.com has him listed as questionable for tonight

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Put Hawk on Payton b/c Payton triggers their entire offense. Hawk has a height and strength advantage, and is probably quick enough to keep Payton from his mid range post position.

Put KT on Lewis, who now likes to post up a bit. Give Francis and Mobley easier defensive assignments, like Barry and Andersen.

Extend defense to the 3 pt line, and make them dribble into C, G & Y.

3. jlaw

jlaw Member

This is going to be a good test for Rox. So far, Sonic is one of the best offensive teams.

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Looks like the BBS members aren't the only ones predicting a win tonight!

DIME PREVIEW: Sonics vs. Rockets

Dime Magazine
    Nov. 5, 2002 8:58 a.m.

The Deal:

Today’s marquee match-up pits the undefeated Seattle Sonics against the upstart Houston Rockets. Gary Payton and company are trying to keep their record unblemished and open the year 4-0 for the first time in four years. Standing in their way is a completely retooled Rockets line-up. Winning last year’s lottery and grabbing the Chinese Wall, Yao Ming, has brought an unmatched excitement not felt in Houston since the days of the nicknamed warriors: The Dream, The Glide and Sir Charles.

Last season, these two teams split their four contests with the Rockets winning at home each time. Seattle is poised to reverse their fortunes and come strong with their deepest and most versatile line-up in years.

The Weapons:

As mentioned previously, the Rockets have the latest prototype center in town, an import from halfway across the world in Yao Ming. Ming brings a new dynamic to the Rockets formerly guard-heavy offense. Instead of centering around the one-on-one and outside shooting ability of Stevie Franchise, Cat Mobley and Moochie Norris, the team would now prefer to dump it in to Ming and let him work. Ming’s workload has increased in every game and with the Sonics lack of a solid pivot man, Ming should have his best game yet. If he doesn’t, Francis, Mobley and last year’s number one draft pick, Eddie Griffin, will pick up the slack.

Seattle’s success centers around do-everything guard Payton. He’s a shutdown defender, a catalyst on offense and now the franchise’s third leading rebounder of all time. The Dunk Artist, Desmond Mason, can really fly and is blossoming into a powerful force in the L. Brent Barry is a deadeye shooter who can also do a bit of everything on the court. Still, it all starts and ends with how GP plays, which is usually phenomenally.

The Drama:

If the Sonics want to stay perfect, they’ll need to limit Yao’s touches deep in the paint. While Yao might prefer to rain outside jumpers, Rudy T will anchor him to the low block tonight and have him operate against Jerome James. Yet if Wink doesn’t like the plan, he’ll try to beat the Sonics all by his lonesome, challenging The Glove off the dribble, by no means an easy task. Both teams love to work the transition game for easy buckets and things could get sloppy quickly if they’re not careful. At the very least, all of this will lead to some spectacular dunks by the Sonics’ two dunk champions and the Rockets young trio of Mobley, Francis and Griffin. No one likes to get beat at home, so expect a great performance in Clutch city tonight.

The Forecast:

Rockets, 94-92. Season record, 3-1.

http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=741886

5. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

First Post!

I honestly think the Rockets have a good chance tonight but I think it will hinge on Lewis/Mason VS our SF.

Think about it

Breakdown

PG Stevie VS GP.

Honestly, GP has the advantage, taller, smarter and slightly mean. He has the killer instinct that the rockets, to date, have not. If we have any type of foul trouble or show any kind of weakness GP will attempt to take advantage of it. Steve will have a good game but I expect a Better game from GP.

SG Barry VS the Cat.

I think the cat has the advantage here. Barry is going to have to work harder on Defense then Cat and on offense the Cat the will match him in the way of points. Barry will have the hussle points but in the end the team with the most points wins.

KT/Hawkins/? VS Lewis/Mason

The match up in my opinion. If we can contain Lewis and match him in the points then we can win. Lewis is streaky and until the last game has not had a good outing, I know he is one my FBask team and I am now regretting not taking Barry in this slot.

Griffin VS. Seattle PF. (Radmon or Predrag I am not sure who.)

Griffin. Radmonvich more then likely would be the better of the two as he seems to be the better outside shooter, If I am Seattle I do not want EG in the paint, but I think EG will have his best game of the season and better the Forgien Force that is the Seattle PF's.

Cato/Yao VS Booth/James

Honestly, we should domintate this with Cato and Ming. Both Seattle centers are bodies, Rad and Predrag will see some time there but we should be okay and Domintate the boards so we should be fine between between the two. If we pound it inside to Yao and Cato, who has been the most improved Rocket from what I have seen, we might win easily.

When Steve and the Cat trust our team a bit more, and it will happen but it is hard when Griffin goes 1-10, KT is rusty, No MO or RICE, and the like. This would be a easier game.

Prediction:

I think Lewis and Mason have big games.

Sonics 92 Rockets 86

HOPE I AM WRONG and feel free to flame me.

Fierguard NM chapter of the KT fan Club.
    Rocket's Fan Since 1986
    Laker Hater Since 1986

6. DCballer

DCballer Member

this is the wrong topic...well sort of, but if you were looking for a ticket in the 1 free ticket thread you should go back there.:cool:

7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1647288

Back in action

The Rockets got Kenny Thomas and Glen Rice back for practice Monday. But Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said the team has a long way to go to build the cohesiveness that was lost to preseason injuries.

"I'm trying to get everybody in here and get the chemistry to work," Tomjanovich said. "It's a big job. It doesn't mean just because somebody is back it's going to work automatically. The spacing is different, different sizes. It's not going to be easy. We're going to do out best to make it work.

"I haven't had a healthy same team for about a year. Now, as we're getting healthier I have to find a way to get all these things (together). Right now, we have to play the same way we did last year.

There's a lot of work ahead. I'm happy we got some wins. But I don't know what we're going to do."

Rice did not have to sit out any portion of today's practice. But he said he still feels "a little rust." Thomas said his right thumb is still sore, but that he will not have to wear the splint or tape that hampered his shooting.

"It was good to have Kenny back and having a good, hard practice," Tomjanovich said. "He did well. Glen Rice was back and did well.

"(Kelvin) Cato was in Atlanta with a sick family member. We're hoping he will be back. We think he will."

--JONATHAN FEIGEN

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is the game going to be on Fox Sports Net Southwest? If anyone knows please respond.

9. aries323

aries323 Member

Tough test for the Rockets. GP and BBarry will score their points. Rashard Lewis and DMason are great at the 3. It will be a tight game through out. I think Sonics pull it off by a hair, but if the Rockets decide to show up tonight and play up to their potential... and not jack up terrible shots... they will win. My prediction... Rockets by 4.:D

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The Sonics probably will beat the Rockets due to their back court advantage. Yes, the Rockets have a high scoring backcourt, but the Sonics's tenacious defense will slow them down. In the contrary, the Rockets guards are not known for their defense, they won't be able to stop Payton & Cops.

The Rockets' strength is their front court, but those guys won't get enough pass from the guards to be effective.

I don't know how many of you have watched the Sonics first few games. It appears they scored most of their points on mid/long distance jump shots of the screens. They are pretty good at scoring on the fast break as well.

I think the game will be decided by whether Francis/Cat will feed the ball inside CONSISTANTLY. If they do, the Rockets should have an easy time to wear the Sonics out, otherwise the Sonics will win an ugly game.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Fierguard, heck of a good way to put together your first post.

I think the where we have our biggest advantages are the 4-5 spots, or if KT plays some at the 3. I think if we play "even" 1-3 and avoid a jump shooting contest, we are in good shape.

What has killed the Rockets defensively has been a team with a guy creating mismatches down low leading to easy buckets for that guy and scrambling rotations leading to open mind range and longer shots for guards and small forwards. Seattle doesn't have a 4 or 5 that should be able to create a steady favorable offensive match-up for them versus Cato, Ming, or Griffin 1 on 1, let alone guy who can demand and sometimes beat a double team. We should be able to play solid defense all over the floor and not allow Seattle's set offense to get wide open looks from Lewis, Barry & Payton--which they are deadly if given. The challenge then is to defensive rebound OK and limit turnovers so they don't get those looks outside of set offense situations.

On the flip side, offensively we can do some things. If KT is ready to play and back to form I don't think Seattle has a good match-up for him at all. Payton is a great defensive player, but great offensive players usually have the advantage over great defensive players--Francis could be patient though, that will hurt us if he tries to be our bread and butter versus GP. Barry (way too slow) is a terrible match-up for Mobley, but if Seattle can play Mason on him that isn't as bad for them. Of course playing Mason instead of Barry or Lewis hurts their set offense above.

Very interesting game.

12. ron413

13. haven

haven Member

I expect this to be a good game.

Payton is the best player on the court. Can't score quite as well as Francis, but plays much better defense and distributes better.

Kenny Anderson is a sensational back-up. His penetration was a huge factor in the Celtics' success last season. He can shoot the 3, and can find the open man... better than Moochie.

I don't really like Barry. He's solid. But that's it. Mobley's a much more valuable player.

Back-court is pretty much a wash. The front court of both teams... Lewis is probably the best overall player... but he's not much of your typical front court player, either. He rebounds, but has no post game and isn't a shot blocker.

Here's my best guess: If the Rockets get good production from the Ming/Griffin/Cato, we win. Not sure if that'll happen, but... why the hell not ;)?

If in doubt, I pick Houston...

14. blackwidow89

blackwidow89 Member

Hey as much as i'd like to see the rockets win, face the facts.

steve and Gp will have and even game, but we got mooch to pick up the slack
    Cat wll score round 15, and Bbarry will prolly get 13, but then they got desmond to bak him up, and the rockets dont got any one else
    EG is due for a breakout game , and well his opponent Rashard lewis is too, so they both wont bust out, but we gots BOKI and Glen to keep us goin
    Vlad Radmoninsfdhasfhd, isnt great but he can hit the shot, and we gots KT to hold him down, so that should go towards the rox
    the otha european Predja or sumtihn can also ball, Cato and Yao betta bring all they have , and well seattle dont have nuthin behind him, so look for either of the frontcourt to bust out with a nice game.

GO ROCKETs, oh yeah, steve is better than Iverson... its just that steves shoes suck, and well IV's are second only to JORDAN

15. ckrdkjr

ckrdkjr Member

16. ron413

#76 ron413, Nov 5, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2002
  17. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

I just hope Cat stops shooting with two men from the other team in front of him and begin passing the ball to Yao when Yao is wide open.

18. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I cannot see any area of the game that the Sonics is better other than chemistry, which should not be underated; however, home court will nullify that. In addition, the last game would have given us a lot of confidence.

The Sonics do not have the ability to establish their will on us. They have played Suns, Warriors and Jazz on a back to back. This is the best defensive team that they would have played to date. In addition this is the best matchup their best player, Payton, would have faced and cannot dominate.

19. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

This game is getting alot of national exposure so it would be great for us to show the nation some of what is in store this season. As for the Sonics, they should enjoy the attention because by next week they could be yesterday's news. Why? Well after tonight, they are on the road to play NO, Orl, Mia, Wiz and then home to the Kings.

20. jeffjwang

jeffjwang Member

I like to see a DMase dunk!!!
    It's always fun to watch Mason's play.